Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: World Cup - Day 24  (Read 20264 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Sunday, July 6, 2014, 13:06:34 »

I actually originally thought it was insulting to the Dutch keeper taking off, but the more I think about it, any tactic to give you 'an edge' in the shoot out should be applauded.

As it transpired, van gaal got it spot on. (No pun intended)

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Sunday, July 6, 2014, 16:02:49 »

Well said Dave. England should have subbed Shilton in 1990, the old fucker could hardly move at the start of the match, let alone by the end of it.

All this insult talk is a joke. Great move by van Gaal brave decision but very understandable.

I remember at the time, ranting at anyone who'd listen in the pub, that Robson should have done that and brought on Besant, a big old unit who'd saved a pen in the 88 FA Cup.  Peter Shilton was about 40 at the time, still had the game management, but you lose the athleticism, needed for pen saving.  However was v Huns, so would have probably made no difference.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Sunday, July 6, 2014, 16:24:36 »

It's been a topic of conversation between a friend and I for years now. We agree that Shilton should have been subbed, only yesterday, for the first time he actually admitted he'd have brought on Chris Woods! I always assumed he would have gone for Dave Beasant, for the reasons you mention above Reg.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: