Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 [37] 38 39   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Beer  (Read 159008 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #540 on: Tuesday, August 2, 2022, 17:41:17 »

Found this thread languishing on page 14 of the general discussions, behind even the Bamboo's bollocks... and dishwasher help topics.

Shocking state of affairs.
Anyway, absolute pleasure to be back at the GBBF this evening and tomorrow after a 3 year absence.

We moved to Northants during lockdown and whilst most of the pubs here are pretty crap, the prices of a pint are way more palatable than that in London. There is a lovely little real ale place called 'early doors' that we occasionally frequent, trying to broaden my horizons from the cold lagers to the cellar temperature beers, my preference a stout or a non-hoppy beer.

Enjoy WB

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #541 on: Tuesday, August 2, 2022, 17:41:31 »

Great British Book Festival?

If only there was such a thing then I'd be there as well. Book Read

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #542 on: Tuesday, August 2, 2022, 17:45:40 »

We moved to Northants during lockdown and whilst most of the pubs here are pretty crap, the prices of a pint are way more palatable than that in London. There is a lovely little real ale place called 'early doors' that we occasionally frequent, trying to broaden my horizons from the cold lagers to the cellar temperature beers, my preference a stout or a non-hoppy beer.

Enjoy WB

Have to say that the number of ales on offer does appear to be greatly reduced from pre pandemic years.
The pub going tradition is in slow but steady decline I fear.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #543 on: Tuesday, August 2, 2022, 17:58:33 »

I've managed to get to 188 points on my beer loyalty scheme with a local bar - one credit for each new beer tried (double points on Monday's with a max of 5 beers counting on any single visit).  Line Creek's First Crush Hazy IPA being my current favourite, brewed just down the road (the only down side to the scheme is knowing a repeat beer gets no points).
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #544 on: Tuesday, August 2, 2022, 18:24:55 »

9000 breweries or so in the US?

Getting the distribution outside of the local area is an issue I've read.

There is a dedicated American bar here this week.
Most of the abv %'s are in the approach with caution category.

Crap!
Miles Mayhem

Ignore
« Reply #545 on: Tuesday, August 2, 2022, 18:53:41 »

Has anyone been to Stroud brewery? It’s an amazing place next Stroud canal out in the countryside. Great beer and a place you could easily spend all day eating and drinking at.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #546 on: Tuesday, August 2, 2022, 19:12:26 »

I've managed to get to 188 points on my beer loyalty scheme with a local bar - one credit for each new beer tried (double points on Monday's with a max of 5 beers counting on any single visit).  Line Creek's First Crush Hazy IPA being my current favourite, brewed just down the road (the only down side to the scheme is knowing a repeat beer gets no points).

I have frequented that chain you are talking about, can't remember the name, but a friend of mine that lives there has ticked the boxes on most of the beers there - he is a big fan.

If you are ever in Alpharetta, I would recommend Jekyll Micro brewery.  I spent an afternoon there after paying for a tour, which enables you to have 5 trial "tasters" (virtually a full US pint) - buying the tour is the way they get around not being alowed to sell you the beer.

Well worth a visit..

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #547 on: Tuesday, August 2, 2022, 19:12:47 »

9000 breweries or so in the US?

Getting the distribution outside of the local area is an issue I've read.

There is a dedicated American bar here this week.
Most of the abv %'s are in the approach with caution category.

I have 20 or so Breweries within 40 miles of me.  Most of the model is to sell local I think, especially as you don't get the Breweries owning the Bars.  All of those local ones will have their own onsite bar and ability to sell to the public from point of production.  I assume Sweetwater being the only one set-up to distribute more regionally.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #548 on: Tuesday, August 2, 2022, 19:15:41 »

Quote from: Miles Mayhem
Has anyone been to Stroud brewery? It’s an amazing place next Stroud canal out in the countryside. Great beer and a place you could easily spend all day eating and drinking at.

it's been on the list with a couple of mates who live that way about a year. can never seem to coordinate it right
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #549 on: Tuesday, August 2, 2022, 19:16:32 »

I have frequented that chain you are talking about, can't remember the name, but a friend of mine that lives there has ticked the boxes on most of the beers there - he is a big fan.

If you are ever in Alpharetta, I would recommend Jekyll Micro brewery.  I spent an afternoon there after paying for a tour, which enables you to have 5 trial "tasters" (virtually a full US pint) - buying the tour is the way they get around not being alowed to sell you the beer.

Well worth a visit..

Taco Mac (odd name as they only do a few Taco's), Georgia chain.

Drunk a few Jekyll brews, very nice (Hop Dang Diggity I mentioned much earlier in this thread as it happens).  Abide in Newnan have the same set-up, you buy a "tour".  They did get the local council to change the licensing laws recently which enables bottled beers to be sold direct to consumer in limited volumes.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #550 on: Tuesday, August 2, 2022, 19:18:48 »

Also have a local brew shop that sells a number of local brews via the tap - you buy a Growler and just fill it up and keep going back.
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #551 on: Tuesday, August 2, 2022, 20:33:06 »

I am a sucker for my Beer52 subscription boxes. Started it in lockdown and I know I'm overpaying on each beer, but I have had such a great experience getting to know beers and breweries I would never have thought of or knew about that I still haven't cancelled it well after any kind of money off deal has passed me by.

Plus it helps me pace out (and appreciate) my drinking every month as I don't buy any more booze.

Old friend of mine runs Wriggle Valley Brewery, and my god but does he make the best 6X (he calls it Copper Hoppa). It might not be Wadworths, but theirs can be awful in the wrong pub, and the buggers are threatening to leave Devizes for good so there goes any Wiltshire pride.

mozalini

Ignore
« Reply #552 on: Tuesday, August 2, 2022, 21:09:44 »

I'll be getting my Electric Bear monthly sub box delivered later this week.  It isn't the cheapest but means I can try all the new beers that they bring out.  If you look at their Facebook page today they are running an FPL mini league where you can win free beer.  What's not to like about that?
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #553 on: Wednesday, August 3, 2022, 05:32:12 »

Taco Mac (odd name as they only do a few Taco's), Georgia chain.

Drunk a few Jekyll brews, very nice (Hop Dang Diggity I mentioned much earlier in this thread as it happens).  Abide in Newnan have the same set-up, you buy a "tour".  They did get the local council to change the licensing laws recently which enables bottled beers to be sold direct to consumer in limited volumes.

That's the one, there is a Taco Mac in Alpharetta, which is where I have spent a lot my time when in the Atlanta area.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #554 on: Wednesday, August 3, 2022, 14:33:58 »

American Micro brewery hopping is a fantastic way to spend some time in the States.

Denver has some crackers as does Seattle.

I am a big fan of the IPA's brewed in America. Quite fruity.

One of the cupboards in my outbuilding is slowly being covered with the various stickers that some of the breweries produce.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 [37] 38 39   Go Up
Print
Jump to: