Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 ... 39   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Beer  (Read 160704 times)
Sir Cliff Pipehard

Ignore
« Reply #420 on: Sunday, November 27, 2016, 17:57:31 »

Box Steam Brewery. Funnel Blower ASDA 4 for £5 absolutely lush. http://boxsteambrewery.com/

Now THAT is a good deal!
Cheers!
Sir Cliff Pipehard

Ignore
« Reply #421 on: Sunday, November 27, 2016, 18:04:53 »

Anyone on here ever tried Marston's "Owd Roger"?
7.4%,very sweet initially,but dangerously drinkable.
I did 6 bottles in one go once and my wife found me pissed out of my head in the living room,stripped down to my underpants,weeping like a Glaswegian tramp.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #422 on: Sunday, November 27, 2016, 18:34:52 »

Popped in The Tuppenny last night. Good crowd in and the place had a nice buzz about it.

The Renegade IPA was first class - recommend that. Compared to a very average Doom Bar in The Vic later on, I know where I'll be having my next pint.
WEBBERhyde

Ignore
« Reply #423 on: Sunday, November 27, 2016, 22:10:07 »

Also nipped in for a pint in the tuppeny yesterday evening. Decent buzz in the place yes, but has got to go a fair way to match the hop in terms of wanting to be somewhere for the evening. We were trying to work it out last night, but think a lot of it is to do with the dark blue walls and low ceiling making it feel slightly dingy. The slightly random collection of tables and spaces is also odd.

Certainly not writing it off yet though, early days for them to work things out. Will give it a few more visits.

Liking that Old Town is becoming quite the nice evening out in a small area these days.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #424 on: Monday, November 28, 2016, 09:44:32 »

The fabric of the place doesn't lend itself to what may be called a 'normal' pub environment, that's for sure. Being an ex-hairdressing salon limits what can be done.

Thank God they banned smoking in pubs with those low ceilings, too! Your so-called dingy feeling was what I quite liked.

Probably not enough seating, but all in all I like the place.
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #425 on: Monday, November 28, 2016, 13:35:52 »

I think if they had a little play around, they could fit another 3 tables/12 seats in. I liked it in there, will be interesting to see how often they switch the beers around and how it develops in the next 6 months.

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #426 on: Monday, November 28, 2016, 13:45:59 »

Whats the prices like in there?

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #427 on: Monday, November 28, 2016, 13:54:44 »

Pint of Renegade for me and a large glass of wine for the missus was £9.60
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #428 on: Monday, November 28, 2016, 15:00:54 »

Pint of Renegade for me and a large glass of wine for the missus was £9.60

fuck me, 15 years ago that was a night out with a 20deck.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #429 on: Monday, November 28, 2016, 15:25:12 »

fuck me, 15 years ago that was a night out with a 20deck.

Its wine that's a killer price wise, especially if you get a large which is essentially a third of a bottle!

I remember when I was a student and £20 would cover a good night out including a burger/kebab on the way home!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #430 on: Monday, November 28, 2016, 15:55:53 »

Its wine that's a killer price wise, especially if you get a large which is essentially a third of a bottle!

I remember when I was a student and £20 would cover a good night out including a burger/kebab on the way home!

I remember when £20 was two and half weeks wages.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #431 on: Monday, November 28, 2016, 15:57:39 »

I remember when £20 was two and half weeks wages.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #432 on: Monday, November 28, 2016, 16:00:35 »

Unless you go to a Wetherspoons or the like, prices are generally 2 drinks for a tenner wherever you go.

It's insane, really, and the reason I rarely venture out to drink these days - a couple of hours and you're £50 lighter.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #433 on: Monday, November 28, 2016, 16:35:30 »

Unless you go to a Wetherspoons or the like, prices are generally 2 drinks for a tenner wherever you go.

It's insane, really, and the reason I rarely venture out to drink these days - a couple of hours and you're £50 lighter.

Horlock is right about the wine. It makes life tricky in this day and age. If, like me, one is inclined to go out with several different ladies, there are some who are quite happy for you to pay for the large glasses of red or white, and others who regard it as somehow an effront to their sense of equality. They may change their point of view as the evening progresses, either way.

I budget to spend about £200-250 a month in pubs as a sort of average figure.  It's a choice thing, some people might prefer to spend that on motoring costs for example.
Wilf Shergold

« Reply #434 on: Monday, November 28, 2016, 20:39:53 »

Anyone on here ever tried Marston's "Owd Roger"?
7.4%,very sweet initially,but dangerously drinkable.
I did 6 bottles in one go once and my wife found me pissed out of my head in the living room,stripped down to my underpants,weeping like a Glaswegian tramp.

Was recently on offer in one of those cheap supermarkets (BM? Home & Bargain?) for a decent wedge. Might have been £1.70, might have been less. Whatever, as you say, eminently drinkable, as I regretted the next morning.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 ... 39   Go Up
Print
Jump to: