Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 39   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Beer  (Read 158938 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #15 on: Thursday, February 27, 2014, 17:47:54 »

I've always thought most ale doesn't travel well....back in the 70's I was convinced that 6X suffered on the bumpy and bendy 361 from Devizes to OT.

To get it at its best, should be within horse drawn dray distance of the Waddy's brewery.
There is no doubt that 6X is best enjoyed inside the confines of Devizes, it does not travel well at all.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, February 27, 2014, 18:11:35 »

There is no doubt that 6X is best enjoyed inside the confines of Devizes, it does not travel well at all.

I had a regard for Morrell's, despite it being brewed in Oxford. So it was a disappointment when it went west at the back end of the 90's and ended up in Greene King's orbit....it was doubly disappointing, because I used to go to a very nice Greene King pub, in rural Hertfordshire, when visiting the then outlaws, and looked forward to a pint or more of Abbot. As ever with these things when the company goes for bulk, the product suffers.

Morland's which went around the same time was also a sad loss
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, February 27, 2014, 18:37:56 »

Interesting to note- reading the industry sales magazine today at work, they were advertising a 'name your own beer' service. You get a barrel of ale they're trying to shift (if I remember correctly some 3.6% northern pisswater) and they send you a pump clip with your chosen name on it.

So if you feel interested to try that professional-looking beer named after the place you're in, think twice.

(I know they do this all the time, but thought people would like to know they're doing a fresh round of it)
fatbasher

« Reply #18 on: Thursday, February 27, 2014, 18:42:09 »

Has anyone tried Doombar? On sale in a local pub near me,  I am getting a taste for real ales again,  wondered if it's a good un?

Yes. Been seeing it quite regularly around and about.
Not that Nice If I'm Honest

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Thursday, February 27, 2014, 19:30:50 »

Hope... there's always hope

The picture used to describe a 3 fold increase in real ale sales, is a girl drinking lager ?
Not that Nice If I'm Honest

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Thursday, February 27, 2014, 19:34:29 »

I had a regard for Morrell's, despite it being brewed in Oxford. So it was a disappointment when it went west at the back end of the 90's and ended up in Greene King's orbit....it was doubly disappointing, because I used to go to a very nice Greene King pub, in rural Hertfordshire, when visiting the then outlaws, and looked forward to a pint or more of Abbot. As ever with these things when the company goes for bulk, the product suffers.

I lived in Wantage for years - the thought of Morlands sends a shiver up my spine.

Horrible piss, but just about the only thing available
wiggy
Whippet fancying, T-shirt flogging cunt

Whippet Fancier

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Thursday, February 27, 2014, 19:38:53 »

I've always thought most ale doesn't travel well....back in the 70's I was convinced that 6X suffered on the bumpy and bendy 361 from Devizes to OT.

To get it at its best, should be within horse drawn dray distance of the Waddy's brewery.

I am going to a Waddies pub in Devizes tomorrow night where the beer is awful - I just think 6X is a hard beer to keep.

Thank [insert deity of choice] for beer and peanuts
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Thursday, February 27, 2014, 19:43:13 »

I agree with that to an extent, but it is possible to get a good pint of 6X outside Wilts. The Millstone in Basingstoke used to do a top pint of 6X, tapped straight into the barrel.
Family at War

Midfield Maestro

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Thursday, February 27, 2014, 19:56:54 »

'I lived in Wantage for years - the thought of Morlands sends a shiver up my spine'

I lived in Wantage till I was 16 and my Dad's business partner used to take him to the Comrades Club by Alfredian Park, he always reckoned Morlands had been through somebody once.
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Thursday, February 27, 2014, 19:58:11 »

6x is pretty good all over Wiltshire for me.

As far as Cornish beers go, I prefer a Tribute to a Doom Bar.

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Thursday, February 27, 2014, 19:59:46 »

6x is pretty good all over Wiltshire for me.

As far as Cornish beers go, I prefer a Tribute to a Doom Bar.

Yep, St. Austell's stuff has been superior ever since Doom got bought by the Yanks.
wiggy

Whippet Fancier

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Thursday, February 27, 2014, 20:17:43 »

Yep, St. Austell's stuff has been superior ever since Doom got bought by the Yanks.

Do St Austells still make 4X Mild? Lovely stuff that we used to drink when camping on Dartmoor.

Pete

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Thursday, February 27, 2014, 20:40:43 »

Was the pint of 'wood' at the Beehive Morrells? Back in the 80s and 90s? I'm sure it was a Morrells pub back then. Nice pint.

The best place for Morlands was the Brewery Tap in Abingdon. I'm not sure if the pub is still there or the brewery, it was back in the 80s/90s when I was last there.

My local has started selling Tribute. Lovely pint.

4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Thursday, February 27, 2014, 20:42:46 »

Talking of Waddies (Wiggy), have you tried the Swordfish yet? 5.0%  Pint. It's on in my local, but I'll save that for a weekend  Smiley
wiggy

Whippet Fancier

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Thursday, February 27, 2014, 20:57:44 »

Talking of Waddies (Wiggy), have you tried the Swordfish yet? 5.0%  Pint. It's on in my local, but I'll save that for a weekend  Smiley

I have tried all of their beers, my favourites are IPA (still can't bring myself to call it Henry's) and Horizon in the summer.

I am one of their tour guides!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 39   Go Up
Print
Jump to: