Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Euro 2016 Thread  (Read 3570 times)
moredonboy

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, February 23, 2014, 19:07:23 »

No
How the hell is Israel in this competition!!!!!!!!!!?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?
I am going to start a petition to have them thrown out - the Zionists at least

Can anyone explain how they are part of Europe?
kerry red

« Reply #16 on: Sunday, February 23, 2014, 19:10:30 »

TBF they can hardly be paired with the African or Asian teams as they would at best be boycotted and the worst doesn't bear thinking about
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Sunday, February 23, 2014, 19:13:42 »

The expansion of the tournament is great news. Much prefer the 24 team format of Mexico 86 and Italia 90, as it makes for much more interesting football in the first round. Teams aren't do scared to lose and you always have a chance of going through to next round or being sent home after the third match of round 1.

And before anyone gets wrong idea I'm not talking from a Scotland perspective, as England in 86 and 90 were involved in very tight group stages, as we were too.

However on Scotland, I'd take a 3rd place play off spot right now, but if I were to bet on it, 4th place for us and another summer off.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, February 23, 2014, 19:45:50 »

Off topic but Italia '90 hardly went down in history as a stonking competition though, did it? England's post-group matches have given it a misleading gloss.

There was absolutely no need to for a 24 team competition for the Euros, in my opinion. Platini needs to use the whole of Europe to host because there's arguably only a handful of nations who could realistic afford to host such a sized tournament.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Sunday, February 23, 2014, 20:24:19 »

The knockout phases of Italia 90 were poor, but that's not the issue.  The first round was good and like I say loads of countries could have still qualified for the next round during their last group match.

Problem with the 32 team format (and 16 team format) is too many dead rubbers going into the 3rd match. Makes for poor viewing.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Sunday, February 23, 2014, 20:42:38 »

No

Europe has had eyes on the Holy Lands since the Crusades of the 12th Century, established Outremer, the Crusader statelets of the Kingdom of Jerusalem, the County of Tripoli and the Principality of Antioch....bunged in with the County of Edessa and the Christian State of Armenia, they formed a very useful European bulwark, against the hordes of Islam.  Saladin, however had other ideas and the Ottomans finished off the Armenians.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Sunday, February 23, 2014, 20:48:58 »

Still fail to see the point of france being in a group when already qualified

Just that french cunt Platini making it up as he goes along, tosser
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Sunday, February 23, 2014, 20:53:25 »

The knockout phases of Italia 90 were poor, but that's not the issue.  The first round was good and like I say loads of countries could have still qualified for the next round during their last group match.

Problem with the 32 team format (and 16 team format) is too many dead rubbers going into the 3rd match. Makes for poor viewing.

But when considering the depth in Europe, surley a 24 team European Championships would be as bloated and full of dead rubbers than the 32 team World Cup is?
« Last Edit: Sunday, February 23, 2014, 21:19:09 by Costanza » Logged
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Monday, February 24, 2014, 12:30:45 »

Sorry, but a 24 EC is too big, considering there is only 54 nations.

The thing with France getting friendlies, well it is a joke, but UEFA are making the whole tournament into a joke. This is the first time that the qualifiers are in a central TV pot, like the CL, where TV companies have got to buy the rights to UEFA instead of the relevant countries FA, but due to the fact that UEFA have had to compensate different countries, and due to the fact TV companies are not really interested in the qualifiers as a number of the games will be 'dead rubbers', UEFA have reportedly made big losses in the TV rights, which they've had to cover themselves.

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Monday, February 24, 2014, 12:37:03 »

Sorry, but a 24 EC is too big, considering there is only 54 nations.

The thing with France getting friendlies, well it is a joke, but UEFA are making the whole tournament into a joke. This is the first time that the qualifiers are in a central TV pot, like the CL, where TV companies have got to buy the rights to UEFA instead of the relevant countries FA, but due to the fact that UEFA have had to compensate different countries, and due to the fact TV companies are not really interested in the qualifiers as a number of the games will be 'dead rubbers', UEFA have reportedly made big losses in the TV rights, which they've had to cover themselves.

I vaguely read something about the qualifiers having to be rammed into a very narrow time scale...didn't bother reading the whole article, as just took it as a given that UEFA are making a pig's ear of what used to be a decent tournament.
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Monday, February 24, 2014, 18:15:52 »

No

Why not, they are in Eurovision...  Wink

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Monday, February 24, 2014, 18:52:42 »

Another good thing about a 24 team tournament is it'll mean for the bigger nations they'll have more chance to experiment with team selection, but in competitive matches, as the pressure of having to finish top won't be there.

Should mean even stronger European world cup showings. Great move by Uefa.
Local_Dan

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Monday, February 24, 2014, 22:35:40 »

Is anyone else not worried about the stupidly easy group that England has, considering they nearly cocked up their group in World Cup 2010?

I should be doing other things.
Jimmy Glass is an Alien

« Reply #28 on: Monday, February 24, 2014, 23:09:08 »

I wouldn't mind hopping over to France 2016 and possibly watch some games. More chance of a ticket especially with the extended tournament.
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Monday, February 24, 2014, 23:10:40 »

Is anyone else not worried about the stupidly easy group that England has, considering they nearly cocked up their group in World Cup 2010?

Switzerland are 6th in the world apparently.

Must be all that Nazi gold, useful for bribing officials that stuff.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: