Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Things you don't see or hear anymore  (Read 9419 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Saturday, December 14, 2013, 17:17:48 »

STFC away wins at Bramall Lane....I knew that Feb afternoon in 1970 was special...in the middle of a nice little run of 14 games unbeaten, and United had a decent side, Alan Woodward and particularly Tony Currie.

Yep still something you don't see or hear.
Dostoyevsky

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Saturday, December 14, 2013, 17:31:57 »

When I was walking through a park in Poole I saw some freak spray painting a frame around all the dog shits. Maybe it was some kind of modern art statement.
Mother Brown

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Saturday, December 14, 2013, 18:01:46 »

The "cockle man" that used to frequent the local pubs with all manor of "fresh"  Hmmm fishy stuff in his wicker basket.
If i had a pound for each time he was asked "Have you got crabs"? i would have at least £18.
kerry red

« Reply #33 on: Saturday, December 14, 2013, 19:01:22 »

I've had jellied eels once, when I worked in London and they had a works do at Newmarket races.

Fantastic!!
Mother Brown

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Saturday, December 14, 2013, 20:30:04 »

Hitchhikers.
Matches being played  on a snow covered pitch with an orange football.
The football pools man.
Spot the ball comps in the papers.
 The Davenports "beer at home" van.
« Last Edit: Saturday, December 14, 2013, 20:40:12 by Mother Brown » Logged

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Saturday, December 14, 2013, 20:38:00 »

decent markets.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Saturday, December 14, 2013, 21:04:23 »

The "cockle man" that used to frequent the local pubs with all manor of "fresh"  Hmmm fishy stuff in his wicker basket.
If i had a pound for each time he was asked "Have you got crabs"? i would have at least £18.

A regular feature of late 70's Old Town pubs....along with the Salvatian Army selling copies of the War Cry. I always used to buy a copy....something I regretted, when they opened up Davis House, which seemed to be a 5 star residence for dossers and junkies.  Stan Colleymore's dad used to live there.
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Saturday, December 14, 2013, 21:37:28 »

Party sevens and to a lesser extent party fours
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Saturday, December 14, 2013, 21:39:13 »

Good TV drama and comedy/drama on ITV. Like Minder, The Professionals, Auf Wiedersehen, Pet and,  erm, Boon.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Saturday, December 14, 2013, 22:08:51 »

Good TV drama and comedy/drama on ITV. Like Minder, The Professionals, Auf Wiedersehen, Pet and,  erm, Boon.

And errrr Lovejoy.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Saturday, December 14, 2013, 22:10:55 »

And errrr Lovejoy.
that was bbc anyway!
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Saturday, December 14, 2013, 22:14:15 »

A regular feature of late 70's Old Town pubs....along with the Salvatian Army selling copies of the War Cry. I always used to buy a copy....something I regretted, when they opened up Davis House, which seemed to be a 5 star residence for dossers and junkies.  Stan Colleymore's dad used to live there.

I lived there for 10 months many moons back..wasn't a hard place to live when you have done a stint on the streets or in prison or indeed in the house to correct your mind....but believe me its not a doss mentally. Cheesy
And by the way all wages or benefits i had during that ten months went straight into the funds of the Salvation Army kitty,bar about £10  for expensives.....and rightfully so. Cheesy
As i look at my life now i realise i have a lot to thank them for.

Toffee Apple men you dont see any more selling them from an old pram.....or the mobile fish and chip van or indeed the sleigh with Santa throwing sweets to kids from his sleigh ala a flatbed lorry.
sonicyouth

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #42 on: Saturday, December 14, 2013, 22:15:25 »

I saw the latter yesterday in Clanfield.
Mother Brown

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #43 on: Sunday, December 15, 2013, 00:03:50 »

I saw the latter yesterday in Clanfield.
Does Les Smith still run flatbed lorries 
« Last Edit: Sunday, December 15, 2013, 00:07:54 by Mother Brown » Logged
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Sunday, December 15, 2013, 01:27:42 »

I lived there for 10 months many moons back..wasn't a hard place to live when you have done a stint on the streets or in prison or indeed in the house to correct your mind....but believe me its not a doss mentally. Cheesy
And by the way all wages or benefits i had during that ten months went straight into the funds of the Salvation Army kitty,bar about £10  for expensives.....and rightfully so. Cheesy
As i look at my life now i realise i have a lot to thank them for.

Toffee Apple men you dont see any more selling them from an old pram.....or the mobile fish and chip van or indeed the sleigh with Santa throwing sweets to kids from his sleigh ala a flatbed lorry.

Change of perception for me then....in the early 80's I used to have a place in Stratton, so would drink in the Wheatsheaf, Ermine Street...there was an old Pole who drank in there, essentially funded by locals, who'd fought in WW2 and didn't accept things were over as long as the Soviets occupied his homeland. He lived in this strange hostel place down the back of Churchway...never did find out what it was about.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: