Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 16   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Andrew Black  (Read 57525 times)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Friday, November 15, 2013, 07:59:22 »

He took us over on the brink of administration and sold us on the brink of administration. We had some nice days in the middle, and the club is a lot more professionally run now, but it's pretty interesting how it financially came full circle.
It didn't though. It's a nice turn of phrase but you really can't compare the state we were in when Fitton/Black/Arbib came in, we were about to disappear, never mind administration, versus Black using the threat of administration as a negotiating tactic to force a sale when he left. One was a state of parlous ruin with the whole club an utter shambles, the other was a business which had been completely revamped, free of external debt and with a very generous £6m write-off.

There was still substantial work needed to do to trim the wage bill which Wray/Black/Di Canio had allowed to spiral out of reason, and I don't underestimate that, but the fundamentals were very solid when Black left. Doesn't make the way he did it any more palatable, but there's about 60+ other clubs in the Football League who'd give their right arms to be in the position Black go us into.
ahounsell

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Friday, November 15, 2013, 09:37:36 »

People need to remember that in 2007 we werent on the brink of mere administration, we would more then likely have gone the same way as Luton or even Chester. Black (and the other members of Andrew Fittons consortium) should always be thanked by Swindon fans for saving the club from that especially as it cost the thick end of £10m to do it.

I have little doubt that we'd have gone up last season if he'd continued to bankroll Di Canio but without even more cash being pumped in we'd have fallen back to league one level pretty quickly. The club's infrastructure just isnt up to supporting a Championship club at the moment.

That's the biggest shame for me, when you look at the amount of money that was invested over the last 3 or 4 years, you could have gone quite a long way to redeveloping the County Ground and putting the club on a footing where it could compete at Championship level.

Instead the money went to players, managers, and agents. In 5 years time you wont really be able to tell his money was ever spent here. Whereas if you look at Reading, the money Madejski put in is still having a major effect and will continue to do so long into the future.
kerry red

« Reply #17 on: Friday, November 15, 2013, 10:03:30 »

A lot of people think that with the amount of money 'invested' in the club, any old manager would have got us promoted from L2.

If we had not employed PdC but a less flamboyant manager who was more prudent with Black's cash, maybe Black would have stuck with it - especially if Championship football had been achieved under AN Other
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Friday, November 15, 2013, 10:07:15 »

The events of late mid to late 2007 is summed up quite well in a Washbag piece:

http://thewashbag.com/2012/11/07/hall-of-shame-20/

I have to confess that I'd forgotten just how absurd it had become.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Friday, November 15, 2013, 10:08:22 »

Instead the money went to players, managers, and agents. In 5 years time you wont really be able to tell his money was ever spent here. Whereas if you look at Reading, the money Madejski put in is still having a major effect and will continue to do so long into the future.

That is so true.  Madejski saw the long term potential at Reading, and invested accordingly.  The stadium came several seasons before the success on the field.
thepeoplesgame

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Friday, November 15, 2013, 10:29:33 »

That is so true.  Madejski saw the long term potential at Reading, and invested accordingly.  The stadium came several seasons before the success on the field.

Wray (and Fitton) seemed to have a different but, to my uneducated ears, equally valid approach in that both men publicly stated that they saw a closing window of opportunity for Swindon to get into the Championship. They also figured that the best way to attract the necessary investment to sustain a club at that level, and to redevelop the County Ground to a standard that would support it, was by establishing the club at that level to begin with. That way you are not selling the promise of jam tomorrow to potential investors, but the reality of a club already competing at that level. It seemed as if under Wray that plan was finally coming to fruition, but Black decided it was costing him too much money - as he's entitled to do - and there was no one else to come in at short notice on the jam tomorrow promise.

As for the person earlier who suggested 'anyone' could have got us promoted with Black's money, that is pure supposition and most likely untrue. Di Canio did more than just get the club promoted as well, he reinvigorated it. He, Wray and Black all got us to where we are now from where we were when Paul Hart left, I remain grateful for that even if it all imploded at exactly the wrong time.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Friday, November 15, 2013, 10:45:36 »

My head says we owe him a debt of gratitude.

My heart says, how the hell could you pull out when we were so close to promotion?! But it is totally unfair to expect him to keep funding until May, which still would have cost him 7 figures.

I still like him. Feel sorry for him almost!
derbystfc

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Friday, November 15, 2013, 10:58:14 »

Black (And Fitton, Wray and Arbib) should be thanked and held in high regard by all STFC fans. They saved us, pure and simple. Just before they took over people were worrying about a possible points deduction, without thinking about a greater danger of being wound up full stop!

Never heard a way put then what Mr Hounsell, brilliantly put, and the biggest shame was that the money spent wasnt really to kick us on to a point of elevating our club, but on managers/players and agents.

I think people who look on black et al negatively have very short memories!
thepeoplesgame

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Friday, November 15, 2013, 11:07:38 »

the biggest shame was that the money spent wasnt really to kick us on to a point of elevating our club, but on managers/players and agents.

But it was, the money was spent on managers/players specifically to elevate the club. Once the club was elevated, money could be sought and invested in infrastructure to keep it there. The shame is that it ended too soon. I don't know that we'd necessarily be in a better position with a 20,000-seater County Ground, but still languishing in the bottom division in front of crowds of 6,000, than we are now.
derbystfc

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Friday, November 15, 2013, 14:35:38 »

No what actually happened is we spent 4m??? to get out of league 2. on players like comazzi, risser et all.

Success on the pitch doesnt always mean success off the pitch, yet we could have built better foundations, to really see progress from the club, I think thats what Hounsell was trying to say, which is a very good and often forgotten point. Thats the one regret from the fitton/black era.

The point still stands, they should be seen as a turning point of this clubs history no matter where this club ends up, because before then, this club was heading one way
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Friday, November 15, 2013, 14:58:05 »

Well said derby
jeremywray

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Friday, November 15, 2013, 15:07:56 »

May I join in this debate ?  Before I do, since this is my first post, I would appreciate the normal welcome for first timers.  Don't be shy.....
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Friday, November 15, 2013, 15:14:16 »

*The* Jeremy Wray?

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Friday, November 15, 2013, 15:15:31 »

No   Huh?   Yes
derbystfc

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Friday, November 15, 2013, 15:16:47 »

May I join in this debate ?  Before I do, since this is my first post, I would appreciate the normal welcome for first timers.  Don't be shy.....

Depends if you stick to the 80% bollocks bit Wink
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 16   Go Up
Print
Jump to: