Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Adver News: THE SAM MORSHEAD COLUMN: Reputation doesn't matter in this game  (Read 10577 times)
china red

« Reply #15 on: Saturday, August 24, 2013, 08:23:53 »

Don't think I've ever wanted a manager to do well as much as I do with Cooper, and for so many reasons.

Agree
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Saturday, August 24, 2013, 08:24:22 »

For every successful player who goes on to have a successful managerial career, there are many more who fail miserably. You can't equate one with the other. How many Premier League Managers were top flight, quality players? Moyes? Mourinho? Wenger? Allardyce?
I agree that experienced managers are not always the best option, just as untried, inexperienced managers are not always the worst. That's why appointing a manager isn't an exact science.
He may turn out shit, he may turn out great, he may turn out mediocre, I'm not in a position to make a judgement after 4 games. His CV is mixed as a manager, but some managers 'click' at particular clubs and not at others.
Like I have with all previous managers, I hope he's successful and will give him time to show what he can do.

Great post.

Roaming the land while you sleep..
Dozno9

« Reply #17 on: Saturday, August 24, 2013, 08:25:51 »

I agree, I was just using the examples you gave of successful 'unexperienced' managers, as I said its no banker for success.

His experience is working with small budgets but in the non-league environment and his only league experience was a pretty poor one, although made out to be worse than it actually was.

He's the new manager for my club so I'll support him thoroughly in the initial period. My fear is that because he's not a 'name' the fans will be on his back a lot sooner.
Dozno9

« Reply #18 on: Saturday, August 24, 2013, 08:29:59 »

Your point being? Tranmere finished comfortably mid table, would you not be happy with that come the end if the season? Most people have us nailed on certainties for relegation.

My point being that what has the league position at Christmas got to with anything?

The final league position was a disaster for Tranmere considering their league placing throughout the bulk of the season.

I'd take mid table now but that doesn't mean I have to be happy with it, I may be over the moon if we're 23rd for the majority of the season.
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Saturday, August 24, 2013, 08:31:33 »

My fear is that because he's not a 'name' the fans will be on his back a lot sooner.
I think that's a nailed on certainty.

It's All Good..............
Arch Stanton

Wallowing in negativity

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Saturday, August 24, 2013, 08:46:13 »

My point being that what has the league position at Christmas got to with anything?

The final league position was a disaster for Tranmere considering their league placing throughout the bulk of the season.

I'd take mid table now but that doesn't mean I have to be happy with it, I may be over the moon if we're 23rd for the majority of the season.
I agree with you on that count. I think my point was aimed at all those fans who have their phasers firmly set on 'fail', they want Cooper to fail so they can revel in all this "it hurts me to say it, but I told you so" they want Ranger to fail so they can repeat the same mantra.

It's prob not going to happen as I'm never this lucky but you have to admit it would be hilarious if we were top five at Xmas and Ranger is into double figures (of goals scored, not weeks served), the back tracking from some would be a pleasure to read. Which would make a pleasant change for this site.
Dozno9

« Reply #21 on: Saturday, August 24, 2013, 08:52:44 »

I want them all to do well, they are at my club.

Anyone that wants to celebrate the demise of individuals at Swindon is a moron, when individuals fail the club does too.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Saturday, August 24, 2013, 09:01:39 »

My point was as a club of our size I wouldn't expect someone of coopers background to be anywhere on the list.

Hence I think the article to be garbage.

It's not really about how well I think he will do. He'll get my support.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Saturday, August 24, 2013, 09:07:55 »

Batch view is mine....should be no where near us....but he is...so I hope he does well....

Clems Army!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Saturday, August 24, 2013, 09:17:13 »

My point was as a club of our size I wouldn't expect someone of coopers background to be anywhere on the list.

Hence I think the article to be garbage.

It's not really about how well I think he will do. He'll get my support.

Quite, Cooper has got the job for the wrong reasons...sometimes though a seemingly desperate appointment works out, look at Eddie Howe or Nigel Adkins, so let's see....today is massive, Cooper needs to a decent display of football, and avoiding defeat will be a help.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Saturday, August 24, 2013, 09:35:24 »

Of course we all want him to do well but at the end of the day sometimes people arent good enough.

For many reasons I don't think Cooper will be good enough for us, prove me wrong Mark...
Cibocchi_Is_God

The Italian Stallion

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Saturday, August 24, 2013, 11:01:07 »

Willing Cooper to do well, have a feeling he'll be OK - nothing more, nothing less.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Saturday, August 24, 2013, 11:47:35 »

I don't think you can read that much into managerial records across multiple clubs as each club will have had their own unique set of circumstances which directly or indirectly influenced the results. Reputation is of course a factor, as it can provide that little bit of excitement for the fans and players when a big name is appointed. A bigger name that the fans are united behind will always be given greater patience by the fans if things aren't immediately successful. King is a good example of a manager who split the fanbase before almost unanimously turning them against him whilst doing a fairly decent job. Cooper will never be given a fair chance here and it's unlikely we'll see what he's capable of due to the situation we find ourselves in.

People are commenting that ordinarily we wouldn't go near someone like Cooper yet in recent years we've appointed Malpas, Iffy and King. These are not ordinary days at STFC and it's unrealistic to expect us to attract another Macari, Ardiles or Hoddle. How many clubs at our level are currently managed by recently retired high profile ex-players?* Footballers seem disinterested into moving into management at the end of their playing career nowadays, particularly at the highest level where punditry or golf is a far more attractive proposition, so the appointment of Di Canio was a rare instance.

*David Weir, Jame Beattie
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Saturday, August 24, 2013, 12:27:31 »

I don't think you can read that much into managerial records across multiple clubs as each club will have had their own unique set of circumstances which directly or indirectly influenced the results. Reputation is of course a factor, as it can provide that little bit of excitement for the fans and players when a big name is appointed. A bigger name that the fans are united behind will always be given greater patience by the fans if things aren't immediately successful. King is a good example of a manager who split the fanbase before almost unanimously turning them against him whilst doing a fairly decent job. Cooper will never be given a fair chance here and it's unlikely we'll see what he's capable of due to the situation we find ourselves in.

People are commenting that ordinarily we wouldn't go near someone like Cooper yet in recent years we've appointed Malpas, Iffy and King. These are not ordinary days at STFC and it's unrealistic to expect us to attract another Macari, Ardiles or Hoddle. How many clubs at our level are currently managed by recently retired high profile ex-players?* Footballers seem disinterested into moving into management at the end of their playing career nowadays, particularly at the highest level where punditry or golf is a far more attractive proposition, so the appointment of Di Canio was a rare instance.

*David Weir, Jame Beattie

Another great post.....

Let's get behind him and the team and get on with it!...

Roaming the land while you sleep..
dalumpimunki

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Saturday, August 24, 2013, 19:37:05 »

I agree with you on that count. I think my point was aimed at all those fans who have their phasers firmly set on 'fail', they want Cooper to fail so they can revel in all this "it hurts me to say it, but I told you so" they want Ranger to fail so they can repeat the same mantra.

It's prob not going to happen as I'm never this lucky but you have to admit it would be hilarious if we were top five at Xmas and Ranger is into double figures (of goals scored, not weeks served), the back tracking from some would be a pleasure to read. Which would make a pleasant change for this site.

But they don't backtrack do they? They just carry on posting and pretend their previous comments never happened. I seem to remember a few people having a right moan about the players we signed in the closed season. Outraged that we'd signed someone that had spent time playing for Mansfield (having got confused between a tiny lower league Cheshire club and a tiny lower league Nottinghamshire club).

Now people are saying he's one of the finds of the season, and I don't see anyone's hand gong up to admit they were wrong.

..never go back.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: