Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 25   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Adver News: Cooper set to be named permanent manager  (Read 68171 times)
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, August 20, 2013, 06:59:28 »

Seems BBC Wilts arenn't as sure as the Adver - still reporting this morning that's it's between two parties and will be announced later on.

Possible that the Adver are wrong here in an attempt to jump the gun. Jed was less than complimentary about the Adver on Twitter last night so that would explain why Sam has been screwed around by the club of late.

If it is Cooper then I can see some logic in the appointment insofar as the players will be accustomed to working with him, he's understanding of the direction the club is heading in and comfortable working under a DoF. I don't believe that it was going to be Cooper from the minute MacDonald walked out as I can't see this board dragging out a manager search for almost 6 weeks just to announce that the caretaker manager has been made permanent. I think it's far more likely that any targets the board approached have been out of our budget or unwilling to work within the constraints of a DoF identifying and signing targets.

I don't understand all the clamour for a "proven" manager. A couple of years ago, subsequent to Wilson/Hart, everyone was desperate to give a young and unproven manager a go because that's what we've had success with.

A disappointing appointment but as much as we can hope for under the circumstances. I hope he does well, he comes across well and judging by posts on here we've had some good moments so far. We all knew we were in for an inconsistent and mediocre season.
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, August 20, 2013, 07:00:42 »

Bit strange that Morshead tweeted yesterday saying he didnt think it would be Cooper then this morning we get an article telling us it will be.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, August 20, 2013, 07:03:29 »

I don't understand all the clamour for a "proven" manager. A couple of years ago, subsequent to Wilson/Hart, everyone was desperate to give a young and unproven manager a go because that's what we've had success with.

Good point, though Cooper isn't of the type of young manager those people wanted (i.e. a name just finishing their playing days like Hoddle, Ossie, etc).
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, August 20, 2013, 07:05:38 »

Good point, though Cooper isn't of the type of young manager those people wanted (i.e. a name just finishing their playing days like Hoddle, Ossie, etc).
People were satisfied by the appointment of Di Canio (mostly) and he was born the same year as Cooper.

I think that's about where the similarities end...
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, August 20, 2013, 07:09:27 »

The delay certainly points to there being missed targets. I think in our situation, with the Power involvement, a coach like Cooper is all we could get without paying anything.

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
random_five

Downton, Wiltshire

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, August 20, 2013, 07:11:27 »

Saturday's horror show was as bad as Doncaster/Franchise away.

Regardless, a manager should not be given a permanent job because of a 1-0 win against a League 2 side and 45 minutes against Stevenage.

I know I will be shot down here, but was a proper manager really too much to ask for?

Why would you be shot down? You're spot on.
BruceChatwin

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, August 20, 2013, 07:15:24 »

He deserves a chance.

He gets on with his job without kicking up a fuss, he's used to the DOF system, he tries to play the style of football the board/ spurs coaching set-up would like us to play and he knows the players.

Whether he's the best man to get results on the pitch I'm not totally convinced, but at the moment I think those other factors are taking precedence over anything else, and there aren't many experienced managers who will be willing to work under those conditions.

Ironically, considering he's got the least to work with on the playing side from the last few years, he's probably got more pressure from the fans to deliver results than any of our recent managers.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday, August 20, 2013, 07:16:52 »

FFS....great way to start the day!

Clems Army!
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday, August 20, 2013, 07:29:30 »

I really don't understand all the shite that gets posted about managers. I don't get to see what goes on behind closed doors and don't know what constraints managers are put under at different clubs. I therefore don't know who would be good for the club. All I can say is whether I've heard of them before and know whether they have done well elsewhere.

Many of the managers I've seen people clamour for over the years I've thought have been rubbish the majority of times but with a couple of bright sparks. In our recent history, just look at Macari and to a degree Ardiles & Wise. None have been as successful elsewhere.

If Cooper is appointed, I hope he does well, because its my team he'll be managing! My expectations aren't for promotion this year, but for a thrill when we grind out a draw against some of the big spending clubs and when we win every now and again. If we finish lower mid table with the ability to kick on next year I'll be happy.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday, August 20, 2013, 07:38:27 »

Seems BBC Wilts arenn't as sure as the Adver - still reporting this morning that's it's between two parties and will be announced later on.

Does anyone know who this second party is?
luckyluke699

5 league goals and counting...

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday, August 20, 2013, 07:54:42 »

A bit disappointed it's taken 5 weeks to reach that decision though.

I can't help but think the board would be accused en mass of being "rash" had they not spent 5 weeks investigating other potential options before hiring Cooper.

Makes complete sense to me, not like Cooper was going to up sticks and leave.
luckyluke699

5 league goals and counting...

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday, August 20, 2013, 07:56:26 »

Does anyone know who this second party is?

Rumour has it it's a Scottish ex-Liverpool player from the 80s...  Wink
china red

« Reply #27 on: Tuesday, August 20, 2013, 08:00:29 »

Rumour has it it's a Scottish ex-Liverpool player from the 80s...  Wink

Alan Hansen yipee
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday, August 20, 2013, 08:04:36 »

Alan Hansen yipee
Or Souness, or Dalglish...........But I think you were whoshed as the inference was Kevin MacDonald

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday, August 20, 2013, 08:04:39 »

Seems he's already been written off as hopeless by many on here already, good to see new players/managers are still not given much of a chance at Swindon.

And people on here wanting a 'proven' manager? Di Canio was an utter novice and (ok, he had Black to bankroll basically whatever players he wanted) did very well.

I think a time of stability now is important, I don't see what good chopping and changing at this time of the season would do, unless we are going to bring in Mourinho or SAF out of retirement.

The townend has become totally divided recently, its all a bit depressing (sorry Tans). My first game of the season on Saturday and I am really looking forward to seeing the new team in action. Its time to give the board, Cooper and the players they have brought in a chance. Appointing a manager was the last piece of the puzzle so lets see whether the jigsaw fits nicely into place, or like Andy Williams, falls to pieces in the box.

It seems like many on here want the team to fail (i'm sure deep down they don't really) as they don't like Jed. Sure he comes across as a bit of a nob, but so is MacAnthony as Peterborough and he seems to be doing a decent job there.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 25   Go Up
Print
Jump to: