Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 30   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Nile Ranger signs  (Read 101148 times)
Fred Elliot
I REST MY FUCKING CASE

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Friday, August 16, 2013, 15:35:50 »

AldbourneRed

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Friday, August 16, 2013, 15:36:46 »

I don't have too much of an issue with the fact that the guy is a total cock, there are plenty of those in football already.

As far as I can tell, his convictions, excluding those when he was legally a minor, amount to drunk & disorderly, homophobic comments and breach of bail. All other charges were dropped, not guilty or are pending (caveat: according to wikipedia) All of this pales into insignificance when compared to a charge of rape.

I think it's a huge risk on the part of the club to offer a contract before knowing the verdict of his rape trial. They can add-in any contractual clauses they want regarding it, but nothing will change the fact that, if guilty, the club will have chosen to become associated with a convicted rapist.
I'm also all for second chances in the right circumstances, but it's surely best to go into these things knowing exactly what you're giving a second chance for.

Given Town prides itself on being a family friendly club I can't see how they could think the risk of that association is worth any number of goals that Ranger might bring to us.
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Friday, August 16, 2013, 15:46:17 »

If he's found guilty he'll be gone. It's not the club's, or the fans, job to try him. No one will defend him if he's convicted but until his court case isn't he presumed innocent?
Hope he plays Saturday and scores a hat trick.

It's All Good..............
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Friday, August 16, 2013, 15:50:07 »

I don't have too much of an issue with the fact that the guy is a total cock, there are plenty of those in football already.

As far as I can tell, his convictions, excluding those when he was legally a minor, amount to drunk & disorderly, homophobic comments and breach of bail. All other charges were dropped, not guilty or are pending (caveat: according to wikipedia) All of this pales into insignificance when compared to a charge of rape.

I think it's a huge risk on the part of the club to offer a contract before knowing the verdict of his rape trial. They can add-in any contractual clauses they want regarding it, but nothing will change the fact that, if guilty, the club will have chosen to become associated with a convicted rapist.
I'm also all for second chances in the right circumstances, but it's surely best to go into these things knowing exactly what you're giving a second chance for.

Given Town prides itself on being a family friendly club I can't see how they could think the risk of that association is worth any number of goals that Ranger might bring to us.
That's pretty much the reasoned and well thought out post I struggle to make.

A lot of people make mistakes and learn from them, Ranger has had better opportunity than most to sort himself out but hasn't shown much of a willingness to do so.
mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Friday, August 16, 2013, 15:53:19 »

Links with fascism now potential rapist, I really am finding it hard to support stfc anymore. Signing off very disillusioned with football.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #20 on: Friday, August 16, 2013, 15:53:57 »

If he's found guilty he'll be gone. It's not the club's, or the fans, job to try him. No one will defend him if he's convicted but until his court case isn't he presumed innocent?
This.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Friday, August 16, 2013, 15:54:40 »

A goal tomorrow for Mr Ranger and Graham Turner will complain about his wages/convictions or some or shite to do with PdC

I come from a land down-under
random_five

Downton, Wiltshire

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Friday, August 16, 2013, 15:55:21 »

I'm with Venkman and Herthab on this one
ron dodgers

shaddap your face

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Friday, August 16, 2013, 15:55:35 »

Links with fascism now potential rapist, I really am finding it hard to support stfc anymore. Signing off very disillusioned with football.

we're all potential rapists Mex
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Friday, August 16, 2013, 15:57:05 »

Fucking get in there.

I have warmed to the idea of signing him and no doubt he will be a hero amongst Town fans if he produces the goods. Hope he is giving a chance, must be his last effort at making a go at things and beats signing some old clogger like some of the names that were being suggested - Gary Alexander and Billy Kee

Jed Mcrory - The Gift That Keeps On Giving
Peter Venkman

« Reply #25 on: Friday, August 16, 2013, 15:57:09 »

A goal tomorrow for Mr Ranger and Graham Turner will complain about his wages/convictions or some or shite to do with PdC
:noddles:

Peter Venkman

« Reply #26 on: Friday, August 16, 2013, 15:58:21 »

some old clogger like some of the names that were being suggested - Gary Alexander and Billy Kee
Billy Kee is 22 you cock.

Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Friday, August 16, 2013, 15:59:17 »

If he has half the impact that PdC had then we are in for a treat.
AldbourneRed

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Friday, August 16, 2013, 15:59:21 »

Completely agree, it's no-one's job to try him aside from the jury. I'm just not comfortable with the club's reputation being in the hands of whether this man, who until a few minutes ago had nothing to do with us, is found guilty or not guilty.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Friday, August 16, 2013, 15:59:38 »

People are more likely to not come and watch Town if we don't win, because we don't have a goalscorer than because we've signed a guy who might be a rapist.

Fans are fickle and just wanna watch their team do well at the end of the day. I knew several people who took the moral high horse when Di Canio was appointed and they still turned up and watched. Why? Because we were winning.

If Ranger does the business, nobody will care. If he's found guilty, he will be let go. It's a risk, yeah, but if it pays off it will win us more 'customers' than ones we stand to lose due to moral objections.

FWIW I dont want him here. Won't stop me watching, of course.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 30   Go Up
Print
Jump to: