Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Minutes silence  (Read 6452 times)
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, December 30, 2004, 21:44:22 »

Sorry, my mistake, that would be a load of hypocritical shit!
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, December 30, 2004, 22:55:04 »

In that case, why don't you have a conversation with yourself during the minute's silence?
Sussex

« Reply #17 on: Thursday, December 30, 2004, 23:34:16 »

Quote "Bad shit, and we are talking REALLY bad shit happens EVERY day of EVERY minute of EVERY day of our lives"

When was the last time you remember 120,000 people to have died in a natural disaster.. No? Exactly you p***k!

Some of us still have loved ones we don't know the fate of.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Friday, December 31, 2004, 00:52:13 »

Thinking a minutes silence before a football match is inappropriate, doesn't  show a lack of concern, but rather the opposite.

Lets not conflate the big issues of our times with the triviality of attending a football match......it is not the vehicle to express these thoughts.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Friday, December 31, 2004, 09:19:31 »

Quote from: "Sussex Red"
Quote "Bad shit, and we are talking REALLY bad shit happens EVERY day of EVERY minute of EVERY day of our lives"

When was the last time you remember 120,000 people to have died in a natural disaster.. No? Exactly you p***k!

Some of us still have loved ones we don't know the fate of.

This is a very emotive subject and I am sorry to hear you have loved ones whose fate is uncertain.  We all hope and pray I am sure, that you are reunited with them soon.

I probably didn't make myself clear.  I was not trivialising what has happened, far from it.  I was simply trying to make the point that if we have a minutes silence for this particular disaster then there are dozens of others which are equally deserving of a minute of our time.

To answer your question, there have been several occasions in the last 100 years where 100,000 or more people have been killed in natural disasters.  The numbers are irrelevant though.  What has happened is awful, it goes without saying and that is the point.

The people who want to have a minutes silence should instead get a bucket and collect contributions  before during and after the game and send the proceeds to the Red Cross.  That would be far more useful.

That is simply my opinion which people can agree with or otherwise.

As always, Reg has put it far more succinctly than I have.
DMR

« Reply #20 on: Friday, December 31, 2004, 11:21:18 »

The England cricket team donated 15,000 quid yesterday.

Just thought I's slip that in... hint hint
Johno

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Friday, December 31, 2004, 11:57:23 »

so did the ossies when they beat pakistan.
Anonymous

« Reply #22 on: Friday, December 31, 2004, 14:26:11 »

Have to agree with OST there.  Tomorrow at 2.59pm I will not give a stuff for the tsunami - my mind will far more preoccupied with whether or not Roberts' is fit to play and seeing how Holmes will play.  I'm against the minutes silence for three reasons:

1).  As already stated, just before a football match is totally inappropriate and inevitably there will be disturbances, and not many people's minds will be on such a matter at such a time.

2).  It seems almost every week footballers are wearing black arm bands and observing a minute's silence.  The disaster is not football related, and so irrelevant in my mind.

3).  And as OST says, "bad shit" happens all the time.

Having said that I am very sympathetic to the disaster and am fully in support of holding a minute's silence - just the timing is poor.  The only minute's silence I have appreciated and agreed with was that for Jimmy Davis as it was a football related death and directly related to Swindon.  Saying that, I felt it should only be observed at Swindon, Man Utd, Watford and Redditch respectively, as at other grounds it seems a mere token gesture.

Holding a minute's silence isn't going to bring anybody back.  It's not going to help anybody.  It isn't even going to raise money for charity.  If some people cared as much as they made out they would be channelling their efforts into something more productive than a petty minute's silence.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Friday, December 31, 2004, 17:11:39 »

i think its right for us to have the silence, but only if there are connections with STFC or COLCHESTER, which there are.

If these teams had no connection whatsoever then it would seem pointless.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Friday, December 31, 2004, 19:01:13 »

To show I'm not a totally soulless killjoy, here are some minute's silences which I totally endorse:

1987 - For the victims of Michael Ryan in the Hungerford massacre
1989 - Hillsbrough
1993 - Bobby Moore
2003 - Jimmy Davis

All totally relevant and not just a little bit touching (apart from the best efforts of Sheffield United's fans in the first instance)
Anonymous

« Reply #25 on: Friday, December 31, 2004, 23:29:29 »

Maybe we could do a minutes silence for every brave young solider who has given his life in Iraq and in many other countries. Granted a terrible disaster but it's mother nature some beileve a sign from above. Give it fifty years and there will be no atmosphere and will all die from pollution
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Saturday, January 1, 2005, 18:42:40 »

WHAT TITS STARTED CHEERING AT THE START OF THE SILENCE?
AND THEN THERE WAS A BLOKE TALKING THE WHOLE WAY THROUGH IT. GOD THAT MAKES YOU MAD.
Johno

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Saturday, January 1, 2005, 18:46:13 »

think some people thought it was the end when the whistle went for some reason? typical swindon idiots  Soapy Tit Wank
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Saturday, January 1, 2005, 18:46:47 »

Huh! These Town Enders!
blinkpip
His Infernal Majesty

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Saturday, January 1, 2005, 18:50:38 »

Quote from: "reeves4england"
WHAT TITS STARTED CHEERING AT THE START OF THE SILENCE?
AND THEN THERE WAS A BLOKE TALKING THE WHOLE WAY THROUGH IT. GOD THAT MAKES YOU MAD.

What you mean, they there was silence for 90 minutes.

ee the trick is only pick on those that can't do you no harm
Like the drummer from Def Leppard's only got one arm

I annoyed Yeovilred 28/01/06
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: