Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Berlin  (Read 1712 times)
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« on: Thursday, November 29, 2012, 17:42:40 »

Chaps,

I'm heading to Berlin for a few days for new year, anyone got any recommendations of things to do/see, places to eat/drink, or have any useful info? Obviously I'll be doing a bit of Googling, but there are some well traveled types on here that have helped with loads of these types of requests over the years!

Cheers

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, November 29, 2012, 17:52:04 »

Went there in 1998 and loved the place. If you're in to history at all, the Third Reich stuff overlaid with the Wall/Iron Curtain history makes a powerful mix.  Had a feel to it that's difficult to describe.  But a while ago now, so I'm going to be no help on specifics.  Sorry.

Took my Breath Away.
dogs

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, November 29, 2012, 19:04:26 »

Went in September, thought it was amazy.

For a walking tour try Insidertour - was excellent. The knowledge the guide had was crazy. Very good value for money aswell.
dporter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, November 29, 2012, 19:17:15 »

Do you know where in Berlin you're staying yet? It's an awesome city with loads to see and do. The buses and u-bahns are great for getting around and fairly cheap. Some of the main sites to see include the Olympic Stadium, The Reichstag (free entry to go up into the dome), Brandenburg Tor, Seigessaule (Victory Column), Kaiser Wilhelm Church and Potsdamer Platz. The Checkpoint Charlie Museum is also really interesting but it's got so much stuff in it now that it does get a bit too much to take in. Foodwise, the best steak I've ever had was at Block Haus on Karl-Liebknect Strasse (near Alexanderplatz). The restaurant up the top of the Fernsehturm (tv tower) rotates and has amazing views of the city and Aigner near Gendarmenmarkt is a smart restaurant serving good food.

I could rave all day about Berlin so of you want to know anything else give me a shout  Grin
« Last Edit: Friday, November 30, 2012, 10:38:14 by dporter » Logged
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, November 29, 2012, 19:23:11 »

Last went about 5 years ago, but you could get a dirt cheap 5-day rail ticket that gets you anywhere important on the S-bahn quick and easy. The Jewish museum is interesting if you're into museums, if slightly depressing (for obvious reasons). I stayed on a boat-hostel next to the Eastside Gallery (next to Warschauer Strasse U-bahn station), and both sides of the river there have some great bars/restaurants. Going to the top of the TV tower gives you a great view of the city, but try and get a ticket in advance or get there early as the queues can be horrendous. Also, around that area, the gyspies try and tell you sob stories to give them money. Ignore them. Don't do what one of my friends did and actually give them some, because then they don't leave you alone, and it's like blood in the water- all the others start swarming.

Other than that, it's one of my favourite cities. Love Germany.
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Friday, November 30, 2012, 11:41:57 »

Cheers... my hotel is near the Rosenthaler platz underground station, so pretty central and not far from the Brandenburg Gate.

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: