Pages: 1 ... 134 135 136 [137] 138 139 140 ... 474   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Whats wrong with football?  (Read 1650255 times)
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #2040 on: Friday, January 15, 2016, 10:35:48 »

Oxford United doing so well.

Fair play to them, but it's a hard pill to swallow.

Yep. It's come at a great time for them too. Beaten us again, beaten a Prem team and going to Wembley (probably) around the 30th anniversary of their greatest achievement in football.

Amir

« Reply #2041 on: Friday, January 15, 2016, 11:16:18 »

Christ, who wants to go to Wembley?!?!
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #2042 on: Friday, January 15, 2016, 11:41:46 »

Pretty much everyone bar us.
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #2043 on: Friday, January 15, 2016, 18:28:23 »

Yep. It's come at a great time for them too. Beaten us again, beaten a Prem team and going to Wembley (probably) around the 30th anniversary of their greatest achievement in football.
Doing 'the double' in 11/12?
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #2044 on: Friday, January 15, 2016, 18:31:57 »

Doing 'the double' in 11/12?

Smiley

Depending on which fan you ask, obv.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #2045 on: Friday, January 15, 2016, 20:07:26 »

Oxford United doing so well.

Fair play to them, but it's a hard pill to swallow.

"Better atmosphere" than ours, "fair play" to them...

How about comparing like with like?  Say the atmosphere the day we beat Wigan in our last "single-season sojourn" in the BOTTOM tier without the humiliating "move your cars everyone, Jonjo Shelvey is shooting towards the car park end" asides.

The Piss stains have beaten a joke Swansea team and now have a chance of a plastic and expensive day out for the frankly embarassing Paintpot trophy that even their own lowlife forum has in recent years been quick to denigrate.

They were top o' the League in December and now stand third - think we know how that will end up

Mods, take action please, I implore you!
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #2046 on: Friday, January 15, 2016, 20:11:46 »

I think I get less 'tribal' as the years go by.

I try to detest Oxford, Gillingham, Reading, the Bristol teams and whoever else we've offended and disliked over the years but it seems like such a waste of energy.

Ignore
« Reply #2047 on: Friday, January 15, 2016, 23:46:19 »

The biggest problem I have with football at the moment is the death of tackling in the game.

Free kicks and penalties are given for the slightest thing and I think it's ruining the game.
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #2048 on: Saturday, January 16, 2016, 07:31:32 »

I think I get less 'tribal' as the years go by.

I try to detest Oxford, Gillingham, Reading, the Bristol teams and whoever else we've offended and disliked over the years but it seems like such a waste of energy.

Potentially we could all be in the same league next season, bar Reading.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #2049 on: Saturday, January 16, 2016, 07:41:34 »

Potentially we could all be in the same league next season, bar Reading.

Yeah, that'll be fun. Apart from the social media dick-swinging.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #2050 on: Saturday, January 16, 2016, 09:09:48 »

The biggest problem I have with football at the moment is the death of tackling in the game.

Free kicks and penalties are given for the slightest thing and I think it's ruining the game.

You're absolutely right. Imo, they're are simply no great defenders anymore. Defending at the top of the game is the worst I've ever seen. The rules have gone a long way to ensuring that.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #2051 on: Saturday, January 16, 2016, 09:54:59 »

You're absolutely right. Imo, they're are simply no great defenders anymore. Defending at the top of the game is the worst I've ever seen. The rules have gone a long way to ensuring that.

Thing is being a defender must be incredibly frustrating now and if you cannot touch the attacker there is little point tackling. Giggs alleged wonder goal in the cup those years ago illustrated the point, he just ran fast towards the goal and no one dared try to tackle him as they knew he would go down leading to a free kick and likely card. Wonder players such as Ronaldo, whist undoubtedly skilful follow the same approach just dare people to try tackle in the penalty area.

However John Stones seems to get away with murder possibly because he is 'the best young defender in the world' (TM) and thus referees appear scared to give penalties or cards against him?
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #2052 on: Saturday, January 16, 2016, 10:18:16 »

It seems to me that the faintest touch in the box is 50:50 for a penalty but that considerably stronger physical contact is allowed between boxes where someone eased or brushed off the would be laughed off as a weakling.

There seem to different rules appling depending where on the pitch the contact is made

LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #2053 on: Saturday, January 16, 2016, 15:07:15 »

Stelling just claimed that Cotterill kept City up in league 1, and then got them promoted, on a shoestring budget?!

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #2054 on: Saturday, January 16, 2016, 15:18:14 »

Thing is being a defender must be incredibly frustrating now and if you cannot touch the attacker there is little point tackling. Giggs alleged wonder goal in the cup those years ago illustrated the point, he just ran fast towards the goal and no one dared try to tackle him as they knew he would go down leading to a free kick and likely card. Wonder players such as Ronaldo, whist undoubtedly skilful follow the same approach just dare people to try tackle in the penalty area.

Spot on.  And I saw your namesake make some lovely tackles he probably couldn't now, despite winning the ball.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 136 [137] 138 139 140 ... 474   Go Up
Print
Jump to: