Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 9   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Documentaries you would suggest  (Read 29242 times)
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #45 on: Monday, October 29, 2012, 23:19:47 »

Senna
Jimi Hendrix
Pumping Iron
« Last Edit: Monday, October 29, 2012, 23:30:17 by Simon Pieman » Logged
Dostoyevsky

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday, October 30, 2012, 15:14:36 »

tj2002

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday, October 30, 2012, 15:54:07 »

Dunno if this is a repost but ,"You've been trumped"  is on the iplayer.

"In this David and Goliath story for the 21st century, a group of proud Scottish homeowners take on celebrity tycoon Donald Trump as he buys up one of Scotland's last wilderness areas to build a golf resort. "

A proper piss boiler!

Dostoyevsky

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday, October 30, 2012, 16:00:19 »

"In this David and Goliath story for the 21st century, a group of proud Scottish homeowners take on celebrity tycoon Donald Trump as he buys up one of Scotland's last wilderness areas to build a golf resort. "

A proper piss boiler!

Thanks for that, will watch that now
Dostoyevsky

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday, October 30, 2012, 16:15:00 »

It's not on iplayer
tj2002

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday, October 30, 2012, 16:31:13 »

oh sorry, I watched it on there a couple of days ago, must've dropped off.
Dostoyevsky

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday, October 31, 2012, 03:36:05 »

Just watched this one. Highly recommend it.

Barry Scott

« Reply #52 on: Wednesday, October 31, 2012, 10:50:48 »

I've just watched, Gay to Straight, Stacey Dooley in the USA.

It's still on iPlayer and is about how gays get therapy to cure them of their homosexuality. It's far from a must watch, but the title did catch my attention and it seemed likely to be absurd and amusing.

It was also laced with irony and amusing shit like 2 "recovering gays" spending the night together, as straight friends, and "doing guy stuff, like wrestling."
StfcRusty

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday, October 31, 2012, 17:04:18 »

A proper piss boiler!

I just watched this today.  Really good and pretty shocking, especially seeing the Police, out of the blue, forcibily arrest the two journalists on an, ahem, trumped-up charge.  Really makes you root for the little guy.  It's like a real-life version of the film "Local Hero".

I consequently did some googling this afternoon and discovered Trump was pretty unhappy that the film got aired on the BBC and he posted some scathing comments on Twitter about the BBC re current Savile enquiries.  Also called the documentary maker a loser who should give up film-making as his film has bombed.  Also said the publicity has just helped him get more bookings for his golf course. 

Apparently 1 million people watched it when aired on BBC the other week...doesnt sound like it "bombed" to me...but shame 8 million people will watch X-Factor but far less a programme like this.
Dostoyevsky

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday, October 31, 2012, 17:43:22 »

I just watched this today.  Really good and pretty shocking, especially seeing the Police, out of the blue, forcibily arrest the two journalists on an, ahem, trumped-up charge.  Really makes you root for the little guy.  It's like a real-life version of the film "Local Hero".

I consequently did some googling this afternoon and discovered Trump was pretty unhappy that the film got aired on the BBC and he posted some scathing comments on Twitter about the BBC re current Savile enquiries.  Also called the documentary maker a loser who should give up film-making as his film has bombed.  Also said the publicity has just helped him get more bookings for his golf course. 

Apparently 1 million people watched it when aired on BBC the other week...doesnt sound like it "bombed" to me...but shame 8 million people will watch X-Factor but far less a programme like this.

Can't find a link to that one. Would be interested to watch it. Going to catch that gay to straight one shortly.
Dostoyevsky

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday, November 7, 2012, 19:19:07 »

Documentary awards

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-20240325
Dostoyevsky

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday, November 7, 2012, 20:39:49 »

re: the above, here's the Bobby Fischer Documentary on youtube:

Barry Scott

« Reply #57 on: Tuesday, December 18, 2012, 22:07:47 »

I have just rewatched, The James Cracknell Trilogy on DVD. It's The Tougest Race on Earth (him doing the Marathon des Sables 156mile ultra marathon through the desert), Race Across America (him treking across the USA) and The Coldest Race on Earth (him racing a bike in Alaska).

I was blown away by how much of an unstoppable machine the bloke was the first time I saw it (on Discovery) and on second viewing I was just as flabbergasted.

Superb TV, made better by the unforeseen circumstances in the second race where he gets hit by a truck, while cycling, and got brain damage. You can't help but both like and admire him.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday, December 18, 2012, 22:52:16 »

and he's rowed the Atlantic
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday, December 19, 2012, 00:05:18 »

I found "The Falling Man" quite interesting (although I do have something of a morbid fascination with 9/11, even after all these years).  It's available here:

If you don't mind someone NOT falling, "Man on High Wire" is a spellbinding documentary about Philippe Petit who broke into the Twin Towers and plotted multiple tightrope walks between the twin towers before being coaxed off by police - people on the sidewalks looked like ants!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 9   Go Up
Print
Jump to: