Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 ... 35   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Chairman  (Read 61301 times)
BruceChatwin

Ignore
« Reply #195 on: Monday, October 15, 2012, 15:56:52 »

One thing this does do is put Di Canio's strange (even for him) post match comments and behaviour in the last couple of games into perspective:

-The post-match huddle on the pitch - communicating something he wanted to keep between only himself and his players? Wray is going but we can still win this league if we stick together? Trying to create an us vs them attitude between himself and the board so they're all loyal to him now this new guy has come in who might be a threat to his previously undisputed power?

-The repetition of his point that the club and players had no value before he came after relegation. At the time the way he emphasised this really annoyed me but i realise now that the message was not directed at moaning fans wanting him to reign in his spending but at the board, trying to justify and elicit their continued investment on the basis that he's shown it can give them a return (going on about Ritchie being worth nothing that summer but now being worth £800,000).

-The ranting about wanting to know if there was a change of plan with the transfer embargo coupled with the adulation for Jeremy Wray - well we all now what his beatification of wray was about now - the question of whether there is a change of plan remains unanswered but with JW's comments about the 3 year plan and considering JW couldn't have been executing our previous plan much better the answer is almost certainly going to be 'yes'.

With Black seemingly staying quiet on that issue, everything points to player investment (which has been large in fairness) being put on hold as they focus on the infrastructure being put in place to put the club on it's own secure financial footing. Whether this costs us in the short term will remain to be seen, but if they're refocusing now on prioritising our long term future this may not be looked back on one day in such a negative light. Whatever happens we still have a squad capable of getting promotion this season, with or without PDC, unless we have a big asset sale in january which i can't see considering they've invested this much. It seems unlikely they would want to burn all their bridges this season having already put in a fair bit.

Whatever happens, i hope Di Canio realises he still has a good thing going at Swindon and stays, although i dread the next major incident as i don't know if he'll be given as much slack from now.
« Last Edit: Monday, October 15, 2012, 16:00:32 by BruceChatwin » Logged
Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #196 on: Monday, October 15, 2012, 16:05:52 »

Suicide
Please update with what was said. I doubt Wray will put the boot in so I guess not much...
Just caught Wray on the radio saying he wishes the club well and regrets not being part of the future and he hope the club continue to be open and honest with the fans who he really praised. Think I missed the 1st bit when he said it was a " specific request " from majority shareholder Andrew Black that he was replaced as chairman, I've just read that quote on wilts radio web site.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #197 on: Monday, October 15, 2012, 16:11:57 »

"Sir William is a lifelong football fan".  of???

Hibs and QPR.

Old Etonians perchance?

I doubt it.
kerry red

« Reply #198 on: Monday, October 15, 2012, 16:23:42 »

So when he's in his gentleman's drinking club, do you think he is discussing whether Adel Tarabt should be a regular starter at QPR, whilst sipping his G&T.

These nobs always say they support so and so

Smokescreen
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #199 on: Monday, October 15, 2012, 16:29:04 »

So on the basis that he's got a knighthood, you've decided that he doesn't know anything about football and that he's just trying to curry favour with salt of the earth types like yourself?  Get a grip.
SuggWillSugg MBE

Ignore
« Reply #200 on: Monday, October 15, 2012, 16:31:26 »

Will be an interevew with the new bloke on STFC Player "This afternoon.

Also in the photo the official facebook page has uploaded I think he looks a bit like a sontaran from Doctor Who.

LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #201 on: Monday, October 15, 2012, 16:31:47 »

Would be useful if Black could explain why this decision has been taken

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
kerry red

« Reply #202 on: Monday, October 15, 2012, 16:33:44 »

So on the basis that he's got a knighthood, you've decided that he doesn't know anything about football and that he's just trying to curry favour with salt of the earth types like yourself?  Get a grip.

Nothing to do with a knighthood

He's a fucking diplomat - he may well have a passing interest in QPR - but does that warrant a 'knowledge' about football.

Does it fuck
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #203 on: Monday, October 15, 2012, 16:35:21 »

I think everyone's overlooking that this "statement" from the new guy begs more questions than it answers. All the platitudes about "seeking investment", "keeping up the good work", "working with the manager" blah blah are all very well but it's just words. Has no-one thought to ask the one very obvious thing that's not yet been mentioned? Just what exactly is Sir William Patey's favourite cheese? The omission is ominous and possibly points in the direction of a secret "Laughing Cow" shame

Think we should be asking what is his favourite pate...Brussels, Ardennes, Fois Gras or Pate de Compagne (also known as PdC)
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #204 on: Monday, October 15, 2012, 16:36:48 »

...and why this Patey chap has been chosen as Jeremy Wray's successor.  What are his qualifications for this?  From his Wiki page, he's just short of his 60th birthday and recently took on a few other non-exec roles in the summer.  My concern is that this could be a retirement hobby for an old friend.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #205 on: Monday, October 15, 2012, 16:37:28 »

Indeed.
corner

Ignore
« Reply #206 on: Monday, October 15, 2012, 16:37:46 »

...and why this Patey chap has been chosen as Jeremy Wray's successor.  What are his qualifications for this?  From his Wiki page, he's just short of his 60th birthday and recently took on a few other non-exec roles in the summer.  My concern is that this could be a retirement hobby for an old friend.
It is on a part time basis.
LittleRed

Ignore
« Reply #207 on: Monday, October 15, 2012, 16:39:07 »

Didnt Explain why but did say that he learned of blacks intentions ten days ago and that the linking of the embargo to his resignation was nonsense.

Also he mentiioned a plan of a new stadium, i thought we are just going to develop our existing one? Whatever the case maybe wray was quality as a chairman.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #208 on: Monday, October 15, 2012, 16:40:20 »

He's a fucking diplomat - he may well have a passing interest in QPR - but does that warrant a 'knowledge' about football.

Does it fuck

I also have concerns about his qualifications (see other post just above this one), and we'll have to wait and see.  My quibble with your earlier post had more to do with the fact that you seemed to assume straight away that his diplomatic background and middle class appearances (admittedly appearances are pretty much all we have to go on right now) meant he couldn't possibly know anything about football...which is horseshit.  And very prejudiced.
« Last Edit: Monday, October 15, 2012, 16:42:19 by Ardiles » Logged
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #209 on: Monday, October 15, 2012, 16:41:15 »

Does it fuck

You cant be suggesting that a diplomat isnt capable of having a serious knowledge of football are you?
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 ... 35   Go Up
Print
Jump to: