Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 [50] 51   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Stoke City Vs Swindon Town Official Matchday Thread  (Read 68209 times)
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #735 on: Thursday, August 30, 2012, 21:36:03 »

Sorry, but that's shit.....I wanted plum draw away and this ain't it........could of been worse but not much...after all that......BAH!

Clems Army!
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #736 on: Thursday, August 30, 2012, 21:40:57 »

Don't think it's that bad a draw, one of the easiest ties we could have got and at home. Will depend on how seriously Burnley take it, got to be a good chance they'll rest some players to save them for the league which Paolo ain't going to do.

Definitely winnable and then an even better chance of a big draw in the next round.
hobnob

Ignore
« Reply #737 on: Thursday, August 30, 2012, 21:57:48 »

If and when Austin moves on from Burnley are we on a percentage?

Someone on their forum reckons he is worth 5mill!

Luvly Jubbly
hobnob

Ignore
« Reply #738 on: Thursday, August 30, 2012, 22:21:15 »

From the Burnley Foum:

re: it's Swindon away
The last time that I went to Swindon it kicked off on the way back to the car. Lovely place.

Goodness knows what the score was.

May just do this trip again. We should stuff them out of sight with our squad.

Deluded twat!

Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #739 on: Thursday, August 30, 2012, 22:37:20 »

It was interesting what was said during the commentary the other night about FL clubs not being able to field a much weakened side in this seasons league cup unlike the premier league teams who can. You can understand why a top prem side are not prepared to gamble on injuries when the league cup prize money is pretty poor ( by their standards) all the way through. Losing semi finalists last year got £25,000 whilst the winners got £100,000 compare that to £2,000,000 for winning the FA cup and you can see why. Would imagine Burnley will want to progress regardless of prize money as much as we do so can't see them bringing anything less than their strongest team down to us in round three.
JanTheMan

Ignore
« Reply #740 on: Thursday, August 30, 2012, 22:43:34 »

25k for losing in the semi final! That's crazy. Had no idea it was so poor. Essentially the only money to be made is off the gate and tv.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #741 on: Thursday, August 30, 2012, 22:55:47 »

You can understand why a top prem side are not prepared to gamble on injuries when the league cup prize money is pretty poor ( by their standards) all the way through. Losing semi finalists last year got £25,000 whilst the winners got £100,000 compare that to £2,000,000 for winning the FA cup and you can see why.

Even the FA Cup is peanuts compared to the Champions League - Chelsea got just under £50m from it last season and even the losers in the play off rounds get over £1m.
Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #742 on: Thursday, August 30, 2012, 23:11:17 »

Even the FA Cup is peanuts compared to the Champions League - Chelsea got just under £50m from it last season and even the losers in the play off rounds get over £1m.
Agree. I guess we get a percentage of the Stoke gate money but the prize money could of been as little as few thousand pounds which is surprising. Compare that to the £1,000 prize money for an FA cup early qualifying round and it is even more surprising.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #743 on: Thursday, August 30, 2012, 23:15:08 »

I think the gate money (after expenses) gets split 50/50 in the League Cup. The FA take a cut of all the gate money in the FA Cup (something like 5% to 15%, dependent on the rounds and clubs involved) which I guess makes up a large chunk of the prize money.
Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #744 on: Thursday, August 30, 2012, 23:24:02 »

I know it's a massive thing for the junior sides to get as far as possible in the FAcup qualifying round as it really does make all the difference. Personally I still see the league cup as something special so to make round four and possibly beyond would make the prize money irrelevant.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #745 on: Thursday, August 30, 2012, 23:28:05 »

Burnley at home is an OK sort of draw....there's prob more shit, than decent on offer at this stage, and the Austin factor does provide a sub plot. There's a few on here who'd probably have preferred a trip to the BNP heartland...but think it was KR who pointed out their's and Stoke's position in our LC heritage, however he didn't mention Brighton who we played in 94/95, so at least a semi final beckons.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #746 on: Friday, August 31, 2012, 00:26:43 »

Its a winnable tie I suppose

....and anyone who hands in a transfer request should certainly not be in the good books of the Town faithful. The only sin worse than that, is leaving to join Oxford.
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #747 on: Friday, August 31, 2012, 01:30:00 »

i haven't said anything about the game yet, though most of what i wanted to say has already been said.

what i really wanted to put across to those of you who couldn't be there was our level of fitness - somebody has said this also...

final whistle goes - swindon players all run over to paolo and look full of beans, everyone on their feet eager to go again - stoke players amble over to their bench and sit down looking totally fucked.

i pointed this out to my dad there and then and still felt we'd go onto win it.

paolo's going nowhere soon, he'll only leave at the end of a season because of his massive emphasis on pre-season - which has been completely vindicated.  there's no way he could stand having a group of players not able to meet his expectations from a fitness point of view.  even then the right club would have to be in the market for him and if the worst does happen and he does leave then we'll be able to make the right (hopefully) appointment to replace him.

burnley up next?  easy! 

how much is a season ticket to wembley?
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #748 on: Friday, August 31, 2012, 01:45:06 »

Just watched the highlights on the stfc player.  Its on our own bloody site, do you not think they could get the players names right.  Adam Flint mentioned twice in the commentary.  Annoying. 

Never knowingly overstated.
@MacPhlea

Ignore
« Reply #749 on: Friday, August 31, 2012, 05:55:47 »

If and when Austin moves on from Burnley are we on a percentage?

Someone on their forum reckons he is worth 5mill!

Luvly Jubbly
His value will drop once we prove he can't score against a league 1 side...
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 [50] 51   Go Up
Print
Jump to: