Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 [107] 108 109 110 ... 181   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cycling  (Read 737537 times)
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #1590 on: Wednesday, July 16, 2014, 19:29:00 »

Don't most cables come pre-oiled now anyway?

I'd judge it based on the old cable you pull out. If it's still oiled then there must be grease within the outers still. If not then I'd run some grease over the new cable to prevent sticking.
STFC_Chris
Charlie Croker

Ignore
« Reply #1591 on: Wednesday, July 16, 2014, 21:06:05 »

Cheers, Samdy. Old cable came out bone dry, which was perhaps part of the problem in the first place. Liberal coating of teflon grease went onto new cable and is running nice and smooth.
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #1592 on: Wednesday, July 16, 2014, 21:26:43 »

Cheers, Samdy. Old cable came out bone dry, which was perhaps part of the problem in the first place. Liberal coating of teflon grease went onto new cable and is running nice and smooth.

A word of warning - too much grease can solidify and cause trouble shifting as I found out. As can old and dirty outers.

My new bike got soaked and filthy on a ride and I started have trouble shifting on the rear mech. 3 new cables later I replaced the outer and problem solved. Try a squirt of Gt85 down the outer to clean it out.
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #1593 on: Friday, July 18, 2014, 11:09:18 »

Sam - did you get the pm I sent?
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #1594 on: Friday, July 18, 2014, 11:19:56 »

Sorry, just realised I did. I'll reply now.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #1595 on: Sunday, July 27, 2014, 16:36:00 »

Just come back from fortnight in Northumberland with the family and managed to fit c.140 miles of riding around commitments.

Lovely riding and very quiet roads, if you like rolling rides next to the sea its great! However one thing, the surfaces are awful and make Cumbrian roads look good, if I lived there I think I would invest in a cross bike or at least some wider tyres!
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #1596 on: Tuesday, July 29, 2014, 12:30:07 »

Sounds good Mr H. I failed to get out at all at the weekend - need to get out soon and make the most before the weather becomes British again.

Anybody on here done a 100 mile sportive before ?  I've been asked to do the Wiggle South Downs 100 in October - I've done 72 before but just not sure I've got the extra 28 in my legs.

Any feedback/advice/training tips welcome  Grin
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #1597 on: Tuesday, July 29, 2014, 13:13:50 »

I haven't been out since May, just before I moved Sad

I was comfortably doing 50. My biggest was a very flat 65 and I felt that, the legs weren't too bad but it was a baking hot day and I'd ran out of fluids & food and just felt tired.

I'd say if you can get a couple of 70s under your belt you'd probably stretch it to 100 without too much hassle.

Although, having seen Bennett collapsed in a heap on my drive after doing 80...
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #1598 on: Tuesday, July 29, 2014, 15:04:06 »

Must do better Sam !

Like you I am happy with 50/60 if prepared and properly fuelled. The South Downs are notoriously hilly and I do feel that I will run out of steam around the 75-85 mark which means 15-25 miles on empty and it will be hilly.

Maybe I'll just do the 70.  Grin

Hope the daughter likes her new wheels.
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #1599 on: Tuesday, July 29, 2014, 15:13:45 »

Must do better Sam !

I'm trying! But between trying to earn a living, revise for exams, decorate the house and manage the menagerie of children & animals I'm finding it difficult to find enough hours in the day as it is!

Hope the daughter likes her new wheels.

Loves it. Despite the tantrums, I refused to put the stabilisers on and she's just about cracked it now. I'll have her coming out with me in no time Cheesy
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #1600 on: Tuesday, July 29, 2014, 15:35:07 »

I'm trying! But between trying to earn a living, revise for exams, decorate the house and manage the menagerie of children & animals I'm finding it difficult to find enough hours in the day as it is!

Loves it. Despite the tantrums, I refused to put the stabilisers on and she's just about cracked it now. I'll have her coming out with me in no time Cheesy

I can see why you are struggling - I am glad I did my exams pre kids. I take it the shed building has taken a back seat ??

Thats good - I am glad. They are bullet proof bikes so should be ok for a hand-me down after. All you need now is a bike seat for your youngest !  (I have a co pilot limo * 2 for sale  Grin). Get yer pikey gold here, gas lighters 5 for a pound.
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #1601 on: Tuesday, July 29, 2014, 15:37:18 »

Oh, I did exams pre-kids. I'm just doing more post-kids because I'm a sucker for punishment. Looks good on the CV though.

And the youngest will now be put to use on the balance bike.
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #1602 on: Thursday, July 31, 2014, 18:36:00 »

Although, having seen Bennett collapsed in a heap on my drive after doing 80...
hey, it was incredibly warm, i'd run out of liquids, a flat tyre and knew the mrs was going to fucking tear me a new one! that's definitely collapsing in a heap material

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
STFC_Chris
Charlie Croker

Ignore
« Reply #1603 on: Thursday, July 31, 2014, 18:47:12 »

Sounds good Mr H. I failed to get out at all at the weekend - need to get out soon and make the most before the weather becomes British again.

Anybody on here done a 100 mile sportive before ?  I've been asked to do the Wiggle South Downs 100 in October - I've done 72 before but just not sure I've got the extra 28 in my legs.

Any feedback/advice/training tips welcome  Grin
Haven't done a sportive of that length, but have done three 100+ rides this month. Main thing is obviously to pace yourself. Drop your average mph by one or two and be confident of finishing.

Take breaks, even though it's timed, and presumably you want a decent time at the end. One good 20 minute stop around half way and take your time at the provided catering stops.

Main thing I craved, particularly towards end of the rides, was savoury food. Flapjacks, gels, bananas etc are great but get a bit much after 5/6 hours.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #1604 on: Sunday, August 3, 2014, 12:22:26 »

Cycled to chippenham along the old railway line. Just seen an old boy with a can of lager strapped to the basket on his bike  Cheesy
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 [107] 108 109 110 ... 181   Go Up
Print
Jump to: