Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 ... 181   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cycling  (Read 737372 times)
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #810 on: Saturday, November 2, 2013, 14:10:32 »

Good. When you get fed up with it after 2 weeks I'll buy it off you for half price!  Wink

If I do I'll blame you as you forced me into buying it  Wink
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #811 on: Saturday, November 2, 2013, 14:13:12 »

Horlock- have you got a view on the Felt ?

Sorry been somewhat busy with the 8 month baby.... she's also playing havoc with my bike time!

I don't know anyone with a felt so can't comment but decent spec for the money. My one comment would have been twith the amount of components you already have (group set wheels etc) you could have got a hell of a frame with that budget (something like planet x or ribble), but that was it really.
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #812 on: Saturday, November 2, 2013, 14:18:27 »

I don't know anyone with a felt so can't comment but decent spec for the money. My one comment would have been twith the amount of components you already have (group set wheels etc) you could have got a hell of a frame with that budget (something like planet x or ribble), but that was it really.

Thanks Mr H - Yes I thought that but it would mean stripping down what I already have and venturing into the unknown. This way the wife gets an upgrade so it keeps her happy and I'm pleased with my purchase
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #813 on: Saturday, November 2, 2013, 14:42:13 »

Just f***in buy it! Awesome reviews and phenomenal price!! :-)

Indecision can have positive side effects though I sent around two years ummin and arring about gettinga  new mountain bike, in the end Mrs Horlock07got so sick of being dragged around bike shops that I ended up with a full sus Stumpy FSR for £1500 that I would have never got through the finance committee at he start|  Embarrassed
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #814 on: Saturday, November 2, 2013, 14:54:28 »

This talk of bike brands has got me thinking as I realise I hold some really bizarre prejudices when it comes to certain brands and I wonder whether its just me.. Before I start just to confirm at present I have a road bike and a mtb, both of which are Specialized - which I know is a dull corporate monolith and will make some of the following even more odd.

In no particular order...

Giant - I have this preconception that these are like the VW of bikes, dependable but unexciting.
Trek - Corporate company and uninspiring -and nothing to do with Armstrong.
Cannondale - see above.
Wilier - Lovely but ridden by dentists.
Pinarello -  above but worse.
Canyon - No idea about bikes but I like the graphics
Felt - Obviously ridden by the cycling gods  Cheesy

However I have always wanted an Orbea although people say they are a harsh ride.....

As I said makes no sense at all - feel free to add to the list.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #815 on: Saturday, November 2, 2013, 14:59:25 »

Giant - I have this preconception that these are like the VW of bikes, dependable but unexciting.
Trek - Corporate company and uninspiring -and nothing to do with Armstrong.
Cannondale - see above.
Wilier - Lovely but ridden by dentists.
Pinarello -  above but worse.
Canyon - No idea about bikes but I like the graphics
Felt - Obviously ridden by the cycling gods  Cheesy

Ha, agree with pretty much all of those.

Bianchi - ridden by MAMILs with all the gear but no idea.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #816 on: Saturday, November 2, 2013, 15:36:59 »

Had to look up MAMIL and discovered this:

Recently there have been a few articles in the mainstream press about MAMIL's (middle aged men in Lycra). They are:

1) middle aged (obviously) for me I reckon this is 40 - 55 years old
2) money to spend
3) loves gadgets
4) wears Lycra

Here are some other interpretations:

1) suffering from a mid-life crisis
2) wastes money on pointless cycling items he doesn't need
3) Rides around looking like a fool in Lycra
4) Rides around looking fat in Lycra
5) Rides around puffing in Lycra
6) Rides around on a bike in Lycra, when he should be driving a car like other sane people
7) Rides through red lights wearing Lycra
8 ) Rides on pavements in Lycra, knocking down old ladies who are not in Lycra

Sad thing is, I recognise myself in that! Maybe I'd better change my profile picture to this:

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #817 on: Saturday, November 2, 2013, 15:42:10 »

Had to look up MAMIL and discovered this:

Recently there have been a few articles in the mainstream press about MAMIL's (middle aged men in Lycra). They are:

1) middle aged (obviously) for me I reckon this is 40 - 55 years old
2) money to spend
3) loves gadgets
4) wears Lycra

Here are some other interpretations:

1) suffering from a mid-life crisis
2) wastes money on pointless cycling items he doesn't need
3) Rides around looking like a fool in Lycra
4) Rides around looking fat in Lycra
5) Rides around puffing in Lycra
6) Rides around on a bike in Lycra, when he should be driving a car like other sane people
7) Rides through red lights wearing Lycra
8 ) Rides on pavements in Lycra, knocking down old ladies who are not in Lycra

Sad thing is, I recognise myself in that! Maybe I'd better change my profile picture to this:

To be fair Lampre clothing doesn't look good on anyone....

Cycling is the new golf I believe.
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #818 on: Saturday, November 2, 2013, 18:08:19 »

I don't think anyone looks good in lycra apart from pros - however its a necessary evil and does its job well.
I thought I looked good when I did a sportive in my new jacket then I saw the photos and looked a bit retarded. I don't have money to spend anymore and all the gadgets I buy tend to be at the expense of replacing the clothes in my wardrobe.

I like Trek and Cannondale although they are big brands and along with Spesh seem to come up with some depressingly dull paint schemes. I think the quality of the frames is superb. I once heard that Cube Carbon Frames are cheap and very poor quality (cost about £10 to make) at the lower end of the market - although appealing paint jobs.

I dislike Giant - just seem so bland and having ridden one I am not sure how they win bike of the year - lots of road buzz. Whilst I like the Italian bikes - think they are the Fiat of the bike world - its all about the design. I'm not a big fan of campag which limits choice.

« Last Edit: Saturday, November 2, 2013, 22:37:45 by Bewster » Logged
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #819 on: Sunday, November 3, 2013, 17:15:50 »

I don't think anyone looks good in lycra apart from pros - however its a necessary evil and does its job well.
I thought I looked good when I did a sportive in my new jacket then I saw the photos and looked a bit retarded. I don't have money to spend anymore and all the gadgets I buy tend to be at the expense of replacing the clothes in my wardrobe.

I like Trek and Cannondale although they are big brands and along with Spesh seem to come up with some depressingly dull paint schemes. I think the quality of the frames is superb. I once heard that Cube Carbon Frames are cheap and very poor quality (cost about £10 to make) at the lower end of the market - although appealing paint jobs.

I dislike Giant - just seem so bland and having ridden one I am not sure how they win bike of the year - lots of road buzz. Whilst I like the Italian bikes - think they are the Fiat of the bike world - its all about the design. I'm not a big fan of campag which limits choice.

I am not sure anyone looks good on a road bike,  whenever I see pictures of me from sportives I always resemble an un made bed... I take a lack of elegance to a whole new level.  Whilst Froome and his stem staring have made scruffy riding more mainstream I just look useless.

BTW Mrs Horlock07 suggested that I go for a ride this morning and I declined because it was cold and windy... I am a bad and lazy man!  Crying
Dozno9

« Reply #820 on: Sunday, November 3, 2013, 18:40:21 »

I have a Giant for this exact reason I don't know what I'd go for next time.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #821 on: Sunday, November 3, 2013, 19:00:55 »

BTW Mrs Horlock07 suggested that I go for a ride this morning and I declined because it was cold and windy... I am a bad and lazy man!  Crying

I refer the gentleman to rule 5
pumbaa
Ha, no cunt in my title anymore. Oh.....

Fartmeister

Ignore
« Reply #822 on: Sunday, November 3, 2013, 20:56:18 »

Anybody ordered anything from Winstanley's Cycles online, as in a complete bike? Decent and reputable dealer, or should I avoid like the plague.....?
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #823 on: Sunday, November 3, 2013, 21:44:19 »

Not ordered from them personally, but they are reputable.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #824 on: Sunday, November 3, 2013, 22:13:41 »

Anybody ordered anything from Winstanley's Cycles online, as in a complete bike? Decent and reputable dealer, or should I avoid like the plague.....?

I recall someone mentioned to check they have the size you want as a lot of their best deals have v limited stock and sizes.

When I worked in Wigan the shop was bizarrely the upper floor of a pram shop but they have moved since then.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 ... 181   Go Up
Print
Jump to: