Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 ... 181   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cycling  (Read 737630 times)
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #690 on: Thursday, September 19, 2013, 11:29:24 »

Aldi are doing shower proof commuting jackets with a fold down "tail" for around £15 - may help provent "SAS"
Hmmm. Can't seem to find that. I see they have got a 'cycling event' coming soon.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #691 on: Thursday, September 19, 2013, 11:32:27 »

Just been up in the loft and found 2 x Bontrager Hardcase Comfort tyres that I must have bought in the US back in 2006/7. My intention was to come back to the UK and start to cycle to work on my MTB. Its only taken me 6/7 years to start cycling and get round to actually fitting them on the bike! Looking forward to seeing if they make a difference to my wearing knobblies.

Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #692 on: Thursday, September 19, 2013, 11:34:12 »

I've just been given a 10 year old unused Dawes Kalahari.  Its a bike.  Thats all I know.  Ridden to Calne and back a couple of times.  It was nice.

Never knowingly overstated.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #693 on: Thursday, September 19, 2013, 11:37:18 »

I've just been given a 10 year old unused Dawes Kalahari.  Its a bike.  Thats all I know.  Ridden to Calne and back a couple of times.  It was nice.

Yeah, I dunno why people slate Calne  Smiley
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #694 on: Thursday, September 19, 2013, 12:20:17 »

Hmmm. Can't seem to find that. I see they have got a 'cycling event' coming soon.

The Mrs picked me up one from our local, its a bit snug so may exchange for a larger size. As with most things with Aldi, if you are there at the right time you can get some good stuff.
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #695 on: Thursday, September 19, 2013, 12:58:59 »

So, I figure with an 8 mile ride, even with waterproofs I'm going to get wet. So, what do you recommend for wet weather kit when riding my mountain bike?

P.S. The gut fender stopped spray into my face, but I still have 'soggy arse syndrome' despite my rear fender bender.

Remember that most waterproof jackets can become 'boil in the bga' kit when riding- particularly if riding hard. You will still get wet, just not as wet perhaps. The most important factor about the jacket in shitty weather is that it keeps you warm as opposed to getting piss wet through and cold.

Re the 'fender bendr', if you mean a big mudgaurd that clamps on to the seat tube/ post, getting a wet arse is not uncommon. I ended up using a section of plastic milk bottle as an extension, pop riveted to the end of my crudguard to stop the skid marks.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #696 on: Thursday, September 19, 2013, 14:51:20 »

I bought this jacket in the end last week (I'm still interested in Bewster's Aldi one as a spare/backup):

http://www.mountainwarehouse.com/running-cycling/mens/cycling-jackets/016782-adrenaline-hi-viz-jacket-p7003.aspx?ism=0&cl=YELLOW#

Bought it based on a recommendation from a friend (and the fact that there are loads of reviews where the majority of people were complimentary)

On the 'SAS'. I have one of these on the back of the saddle:

http://www.muckynutz.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=48&product_id=137

I've also added one of these to the back wheel too (as well as having one on the front):

http://www.muckynutz.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=50&product_id=113

Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #697 on: Thursday, September 19, 2013, 15:10:35 »

I bought this jacket in the end last week (I'm still interested in Bewster's Aldi one as a spare/backup):

http://www.mountainwarehouse.com/running-cycling/mens/cycling-jackets/016782-adrenaline-hi-viz-jacket-p7003.aspx?ism=0&cl=YELLOW#

Can you let me know how you get on ? I've seen these I thought it would be ok for a winter jacket rather than buying expensive stuff that I don't wear.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #698 on: Thursday, September 19, 2013, 18:21:37 »

Can you let me know how you get on ? I've seen these I thought it would be ok for a winter jacket rather than buying expensive stuff that I don't wear.
Worn it a couple of times this week. Its really good. Nice and warm and kept me dry in the rain. Hung it up to dry overnight and it was perfect in the morning. Difficult to say about the boil in the bag effect as I'm a really sweaty bugger, especially when I max it for 8 miles!

Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #699 on: Thursday, September 19, 2013, 19:04:50 »

Worn it a couple of times this week. Its really good. Nice and warm and kept me dry in the rain. Hung it up to dry overnight and it was perfect in the morning. Difficult to say about the boil in the bag effect as I'm a really sweaty bugger, especially when I max it for 8 miles!

Cheers, I may well indulge. I am reluctant to spend £80+ on a jacket when it's going to get filthy.

I don't think you ever get rid of the boil in the bag effect regardless of how much you spend - some may be better than others but you'll be looing at a hefty price tag.
Mother Brown

Ignore
« Reply #700 on: Thursday, September 19, 2013, 19:59:14 »

Had a Raleigh "Hustler".
Three speed Sturmey Archer(spolling)had to pedal backwards to change down.
Best bike i ever had and it was built in Nottingham and it was green.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #701 on: Thursday, September 19, 2013, 20:11:09 »

Had a Raleigh "Hustler".
Three speed Sturmey Archer(spolling)had to pedal backwards to change down.
Best bike i ever had and it was built in Nottingham and it was green.

I pedalled a bike with a 3 speed Sturmey Archer for years...good solid bike which did everything I needed, not even sure of the make, just used to get on and pedal it places.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #702 on: Thursday, September 19, 2013, 20:14:23 »

My Grifter had twist grip Sturmey Archer 3 speed, twist grip shifting is kind of back on MTB today.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #703 on: Thursday, September 19, 2013, 20:16:20 »

My Chopper had a gear stick between your legs that caused grief if you ever slipped and fell forward.

Mother Brown

Ignore
« Reply #704 on: Thursday, September 19, 2013, 20:44:41 »

My Chopper had a gear stick between your legs that caused grief if you ever slipped and fell forward.
Sounds iffy.
Were you pedaling uphill or did the chain slip ?
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 ... 181   Go Up
Print
Jump to: