Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 ... 181   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cycling  (Read 737723 times)
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: Wednesday, November 7, 2012, 19:49:42 »

and if you want crazy expensive !!
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: Thursday, November 8, 2012, 22:40:45 »

what is this thing called strava you speak of Hmmm
i've been using mapmyride. it's relatively good, not as in depth as strava on face value, but it's handy as it allows you to log foods etc and work out your calorific burn etc

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
WEBBERhyde

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: Thursday, November 8, 2012, 22:57:12 »

Strava is good to some extents, like for monitoring a training plan, but you get some people who I like to call Strava wankers who obviously only go out to push hard on known segments in an effort to get KOMs.

What! That's the whole point! It's like doing an intermediate sprint / dash up the mountain for a green or polka dot jersey. Release the Cavendish/Voeckler within!...safely of course. I bet Wiggo was trying to win back his KoM from some swine that nicked it off him before he found himself sprawled across the bonnet of an Astra van!

Love strava myself...KoM of 3 out of 4 segments on my morning commute from Purton to the train station. Just need to find an elusive 2 seconds to claim back my clean sweep. I bet the git ahead of me had a clear run and a massive tail wind! Sod.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: Friday, November 9, 2012, 07:23:22 »

Looks like we've got ourselves a strava wanker...
WEBBERhyde

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: Friday, November 9, 2012, 17:48:56 »

You ain't doing doing it right samdy...but i'm a strava wanker and proud, if you like. it keeps my 5 days a week dashes to the the train station interesting, but its not as if i have much choice but to go for it sometimes if i'm running late, I'll have to rag it whether I want to or not if i don't want to miss my train.

maybe strava isn't best for you if you're not into the competitive side of it...why not try endomondo?
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: Friday, November 9, 2012, 18:02:00 »

If you look back in the thread you'll see I've openly admitted that I can't help myself but try and beat segment times on occasions, but for me it's because I like the competition of bettering my own segment times and improving my own performance. Not waving my internet penis by boasting about being faster than a load of blokes I've never met.

Do you put the same effort into the whole of your ride? Or just when you know you're on a segment? If the latter than I'd say it's you that's doing it wrong.

Anyway Pete, looks like someone's nicked another of your KoM's, you've only got the two at the moment Wink
ReadingRed

Pragmatist clapper

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: Friday, November 9, 2012, 18:37:14 »

Going back to the tyres/inner tubes discussion, I got this from the ETA today - it looks like a decent solid tyre option will be available soon... bit.ly/Txjbdy
WEBBERhyde

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: Friday, November 9, 2012, 18:48:23 »

gah! cheers for bringing that to my attention, hadnt noticed that one. the git has only done 3 miles in total on strava! probably done that stretch on an electric bike or something, thats some going up there. cant see myself getting near that anytime soon, ohwell, something to aim for tomorrow morning.

as I said, if I'm running late (which i often am) ive got no choice but to hammer it all the way. no point in holding back on one bit to prepare for another when ive got a train to catch.

is there not a private strava mode where you can just make your own segments and only look at your own times and scores? i see no problem with a bit of friendly time beating between people ive never met. i enjoy the thought of people on their way to work grimacing on their own trying to beat their own times and those of others. I'm not a serious cyclist in anyway, I'm on a pretty heavy hybrid bike with a massive rucksack. I'm just trying to get to and from work and this adds a bit of fun on the way.

PM me your strava name SG and i'll give you a follow, see how you're getting on.
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: Friday, November 9, 2012, 19:24:40 »

That's fair enough. It's just that there's obviously a few utter dicks who get an ego massage from being top of some pretty meaningless timing charts (I'm not saying you're one of them).

This is me:

strava.com/athletes/1010372

Just seen that I actually have one KoM in Lydiard Park, which is nice, considering I had no idea Smiley

STFC_Chris
Charlie Croker

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: Friday, November 9, 2012, 19:28:40 »

Strava people...

Look up veloviewer.com. Much more user friendly way to view your KOMs, I always get a bit lost on Strava.
woolster

« Reply #190 on: Friday, November 9, 2012, 19:56:03 »

when i installed strava it asked to enable gps tracking does this eat into my monthly data usage
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: Friday, November 9, 2012, 19:59:06 »

No, it only uses data at the end of the ride when you upload it.
woolster

« Reply #192 on: Friday, November 9, 2012, 20:03:16 »

No, it only uses data at the end of the ride when you upload it.
cheers samdy
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: Saturday, November 10, 2012, 18:10:38 »

Been out and beasted myself in rain this PM but knocked a few mins off my bread and butter circuit ride.

If you want proper strava wanker, a mate of mine beat a KoM round here and then got a really snotty messsge from the rider he beat demanding he deleted it as he 'must have cheated' - twat.

Each to his own, I really am the least competitive person, but found myself proper hurting myself this afternoon to get better time. Plus as I ride alone most the time I do have a habit of switching off and just slowly spinning so it should help.

Perhaps we should start a new strava thread - although as I am in Lancashire cannot see me beating any of your times!!
STFC_Chris
Charlie Croker

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: Saturday, November 10, 2012, 18:27:42 »

Perhaps we should start a new strava thread - although as I am in Lancashire cannot see me beating any of your times!!
Is there an option to make a group on Strava? thetownend group maybe?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 ... 181   Go Up
Print
Jump to: