Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 181   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cycling  (Read 737391 times)
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: Wednesday, November 7, 2012, 09:17:59 »

I see that you can get a "slime" inner tube that is supposed to be self healing. Any good?
Yes. I wouldn't get anything else these days. I've put them on all the bikes in the family.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: Wednesday, November 7, 2012, 09:18:35 »

I see that you can get a "slime" inner tube that is supposed to be self healing. Any good?

I don't think so. Tend to make a mess of everything. Just spend the extra money on some kevlar tyres
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: Wednesday, November 7, 2012, 10:16:19 »

I have just read some good reviews on them, might give em a go , they are less than a tenner.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: Wednesday, November 7, 2012, 13:38:42 »

Depends what you are using them for, I wouldn't want to use such things on any bike where the tyres have a lot of pressure as a tyre deflating from high pressure at speed is bloody terrifying!
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: Wednesday, November 7, 2012, 14:13:06 »

Depends what you are using them for, I wouldn't want to use such things on any bike where the tyres have a lot of pressure as a tyre deflating from high pressure at speed is bloody terrifying!

Cycling Smiley

Same could be said for any inner tube  Huh?
ScillyRed

« Reply #170 on: Wednesday, November 7, 2012, 14:18:13 »

Last time I was on my bike, I had a bit of an off road accident - finished up in hospital for a week with a punctured lung and two broken ribs - very painful  Yes

Bike now safely stored in the allotment shed, where it will probably stay - who says cycling is healthy   Cheesy
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: Wednesday, November 7, 2012, 17:42:50 »

Cycling Smiley

Same could be said for any inner tube  Huh?

OK I will put it another way, is it a road bike as if you are putting 110psi into the tyres as I do with mine you wouldn't want to depend on a slimey inner tube.

But if its a MTB or a hybrid that run at lower pressure it may be an option.

Taking note of things like pinch flats etc I would not waste a tenner on a fancy tube when you can get cheap ones, no amount of slime is going to seal a pinch or a tear (that sounds a little sexual - sorry!)
woolster

« Reply #172 on: Wednesday, November 7, 2012, 18:06:31 »

Been out twice this week and frozen my nuts off, really need to get some winter gloves.

Have discovered Strava which is a bit scary......
what is this thing called strava you speak of Hmmm
@MacPhlea

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: Wednesday, November 7, 2012, 18:52:29 »

Slime inner tubes are great but if you use a CO2 charged pump to inflate them and the fucking thing won't shut of it does tend to get a bit messy when it explodes... And yes I do speak from experience...
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: Wednesday, November 7, 2012, 19:05:27 »

what is this thing called strava you speak of Hmmm

Its a GPS tool that splits routes/roads into sections so if you go out for a ride you can upload your time along that section to see how you compare. You need GPS or a smart phone
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: Wednesday, November 7, 2012, 19:24:46 »

Finally got out for a few miles tonight. Riding in the dark isn't as bad as I thought it would be. My new lights are extremely bright! And I didn't run into any axe wielding maniacs either.

Strava is good to some extents, like for monitoring a training plan, but you get some people who I like to call Strava wankers who obviously only go out to push hard on known segments in an effort to get KOMs.

Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: Wednesday, November 7, 2012, 19:32:19 »

Finally got out for a few miles tonight. Riding in the dark isn't as bad as I thought it would be. My new lights are extremely bright! And I didn't run into any axe wielding maniacs either.

Strava is good to some extents, like for monitoring a training plan, but you get some people who I like to call Strava wankers who obviously only go out to push hard on known segments in an effort to get KOMs.

Strava Wankers - like it.

What lights did you get Samdy ?
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: Wednesday, November 7, 2012, 19:40:14 »

Bought a couple of UltraFire 501b's from Lightmalls. Took a few weeks to arrive from Hong Kong but it was worth the wait (and the cost saving).

I think the combined output is something like 1000 to 1200 lumens. Bright enough to light up a pitch dark trail for a good 30 to 40 metres in front of the bike.
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: Wednesday, November 7, 2012, 19:43:29 »

Cheers - I've been shopping about for some as all I have at the mo is some get-me home knog frogs.

I shall take a look.
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: Wednesday, November 7, 2012, 19:46:55 »

If you want crazy bright then have a look at Magic shine lamps.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 181   Go Up
Print
Jump to: