Pages: 1 ... 57 58 59 [60] 61   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Olympics thread  (Read 189406 times)
Sir Pissalot

« Reply #885 on: Sunday, August 12, 2012, 22:54:37 »

So that's that.  It was all good then...............................
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #886 on: Sunday, August 12, 2012, 23:23:01 »

Well for you saccarine based music lovers, thats what the rest should have been like with Mr daltrey in full flow. The games in general were superb, we did a pretty good job.
Coca Fola

« Reply #887 on: Sunday, August 12, 2012, 23:48:08 »

The extinguishing of the flame and the end montage brought a tear to the eye. As for the music there was some ok stuff and some pretty poor stuff but as people have said it's impossible to cater for everyone, they had to put in a bit of everything.
Flashheart

« Reply #888 on: Monday, August 13, 2012, 08:50:25 »

The start was dire, absolutely dire.  It's as though they wanted to get the athletes out first and then start, but somebody forgot that bit might take some time. Somebody must have said 'just whack a CD on, that'll do'. They even kept on repeating tunes for fuck's sake.

Definitely got a lot better though, although some of them just couldn't sing. Doesn't matter what you may think about the Spice Girls, they are huge internationally and overseas audiences would have lapped that up. They were one of the better performances on the night as well. Better than George Michael: "I'm alive, I'm alive, I'm alive". Fuck me, what self-gratifying shite that was.
« Last Edit: Monday, August 13, 2012, 08:54:31 by Flashheart » Logged
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #889 on: Monday, August 13, 2012, 08:51:53 »

No doubt old george went cottaging after he did his set
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #890 on: Monday, August 13, 2012, 10:00:13 »

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/arts-entertainment/45-year-old-salesman-apologises-for-closing-ceremony-2012081337959

Thats pretty bang on really.

Never knowingly overstated.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #891 on: Monday, August 13, 2012, 10:04:12 »

I enjoyed the ceremony - thought it was good fun even if not everything was to my taste. Events like this are always going to be eclectic, you just have to take the good with the bad.

Not sure why everyone has a problem with Jessie J. I'm not a fan of hers but she had one of the best voices performing last night, and I thought she did a great job of We Will Rock You. Do you really think Brian May would have performed that with her if he didn't think she'd do it justice? She's not Freddie Mercury and she didn't try to be.

Was also surprised by the Spice Girls - thought they did a good job of bringing the party atmosphere and it was a cheeky bit of fun amid the more serious music. As Flasheart says, they have huge appeal not only in this country but internationally.

Kudos to Gary Barlow too. That must take some doing.
Flashheart

« Reply #892 on: Monday, August 13, 2012, 11:03:12 »

Never saw this coming  Roll Eyes

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19242736
pumbaa
Ha, no cunt in my title anymore. Oh.....

Fartmeister

Ignore
« Reply #893 on: Monday, August 13, 2012, 11:36:51 »

I enjoyed the ceremony - thought it was good fun even if not everything was to my taste. Events like this are always going to be eclectic, you just have to take the good with the bad.

Not sure why everyone has a problem with Jessie J. I'm not a fan of hers but she had one of the best voices performing last night, and I thought she did a great job of We Will Rock You. Do you really think Brian May would have performed that with her if he didn't think she'd do it justice? She's not Freddie Mercury and she didn't try to be.

Kudos to Gary Barlow too. That must take some doing.

I agree with all the above.

I've deleted the bit about the Spice Girls. I accept the global appeal and all that, but good lord, vocally they made an unharmonised cats chorus sound good. I was tidying the kitchen carnage, but could clearly hear the audio carnage from my lounge. Shocking. Mind you, Emma Bunton = MILF

Full respect to Gary Barlow. My wife suffered a Neo-Natal death 18 years ago, and I assure each and every one of you that the pain this man, his wife and family are going through never EVER goes away; time is never a healer in circumstances like this.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #894 on: Monday, August 13, 2012, 12:01:54 »

Opening Ceremony - Brilliant
Games - Brilliant
Organisation - Brilliant
Crowd - Brilliant
Venues - Brilliant
Closing Ceremony - Patchy

That's how I'd sum up. And that ain't bad.

The problem I had with the closing ceremony is that the live performers were either dull, rubbish or have done nothing to be there on merit in place of others (Jessie J). Then they just stuck on video clips for artists they couldn't get (Bowie).

But that's just my opinion. The biggest problem was I was pretty bored through the whole thing, a few moments aside. It didn't flow.

I guess the opening ceremony was never going to be matched.

Still it was only a closing ceremony, many people did enjoy it and the games were spot on. So the Olympics were a massive success in my eyes.
@MacPhlea

Ignore
« Reply #895 on: Monday, August 13, 2012, 12:13:53 »

The start was dire, absolutely dire.  It's as though they wanted to get the athletes out first and then start, but somebody forgot that bit might take some time. Somebody must have said 'just whack a CD on, that'll do'. They even kept on repeating tunes for fuck's sake.

Definitely got a lot better though, although some of them just couldn't sing. Doesn't matter what you may think about the Spice Girls, they are huge internationally and overseas audiences would have lapped that up. They were one of the better performances on the night as well. Better than George Michael: "I'm alive, I'm alive, I'm alive". Fuck me, what self-gratifying shite that was.

Agreed - was the only spoiler in a otherwise well choreographed set - couldn't even sing it live... would have been so much more entertaining if he had just stuck to 'Freedom' and then jumped in a car and crashed it...
@MacPhlea

Ignore
« Reply #896 on: Monday, August 13, 2012, 12:15:04 »

I also thought Brazil's effort was crap...
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #897 on: Monday, August 13, 2012, 12:21:42 »

Me too.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #898 on: Monday, August 13, 2012, 12:28:01 »

The whole 16 days from start to finish has made me bloody proud to be British.

Not that I wasn't beforehand but it made me realise it even more, yes we have some issues but this little island of ours is something to be proud of.
Coca Fola

« Reply #899 on: Monday, August 13, 2012, 16:14:54 »

All they really have is samba and Pele. I would have liked to see a drug war taking place in a massive mock up favela.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 59 [60] 61   Go Up
Print
Jump to: