Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: We've not had a religious debate on here for a while...  (Read 19701 times)
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #165 on: Friday, July 20, 2012, 21:26:07 »

I think certain people just like to argue with everything and won't stop until they can change the mind of the other. Though that never happens.

I think of them as the Jehovah's Witnesses of atheism.
Coca Fola

« Reply #166 on: Friday, July 20, 2012, 21:26:50 »

We will never know one way or the other, not in our lives anyway.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: Friday, July 20, 2012, 21:28:17 »

And if believing that there's some higher power looking over us helps someone get through the drudgery of their life, do they deserve to be shouted down and ridiculed for it?

Like DRS, I agree and think that's a very valid point.

Although I do feel I should also highlight that plenty of people who develop a belief in one god or another do so from a position of comfort, not deprivation. For example, last week I was editing a video interview with Louis Attrill, who won gold for GB in Sydney then became a Christian. Then there are people like Scott Harrison, who lived the high life until his conscience got the better of him - he then became a Christian and set up charity:water. Plenty of well off, happy and attractive young people attend 'trendy' churches like HTB in SW London. And I can't honestly say I've had any times of struggle in my life...

As long as they don't try and peddle it on others (and it's only the minority of extremists who do), what harm is it doing to anyone?

This.
deltaincline

« Reply #168 on: Friday, July 20, 2012, 22:18:36 »

And if believing that there's some higher power looking over us helps someone get through the drudgery of their life, do they deserve to be shouted down and ridiculed for it? As long as they don't try and peddle it on others (and it's only the minority of extremists who do), what harm is it doing to anyone?

Thats the biggest problem; religious people do peddle it on others. 

They cant help themselves.

It's forced on innocent kids all over the world in differing formats and from a very early age. In any other format that would be classed as mass brainwashing at best.

There lies the harm it can do to whole generations of innocent humans, when religious folk peddle their so-called harmless beliefs on a global scale.

marvinTPA

« Reply #169 on: Friday, July 20, 2012, 22:23:38 »

We will never know one way or the other, not in our lives anyway.
ask fabrice muamba , the power of prayer is there for all to see
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: Friday, July 20, 2012, 22:25:36 »

We interrupt this deep and meaningful for a bit of Steve Martin...

Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #171 on: Friday, July 20, 2012, 22:30:07 »

It's forced on innocent kids all over the world in differing formats and from a very early age. In any other format that would be classed as mass brainwashing at best.

There lies the harm it can do to whole generations of innocent humans, when religious folk peddle their so-called harmless beliefs on a global scale.

That's why in the UK the number of non-religious people outnumber those who are religious.

I think I worked out I didn't believe in God by the time I was 9 or 10 years of age and I went to a school where we did prayers and sang hymns. Most of my peers were exactly the same.

Kids are more interested in kickabouts, Playstations and Sega than religion.
axs
naaarrrrrppppp

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: Friday, July 20, 2012, 22:34:41 »

ask fabrice muamba , the power of prayer is there for all to see

Hmm, fishing or not, can't decide.

Guess the doctors can just quit, they didn't do anything.
Barry Scott

« Reply #173 on: Friday, July 20, 2012, 22:38:34 »

That's why in the UK the number of non-religious people outnumber those who are religious.

I think I worked out I didn't believe in God by the time I was 9 or 10 years of age and I went to a school where we did prayers and sang hymns. Most of my peers were exactly the same.

Kids are more interested in kickabouts, Playstations and Sega than religion.

Couldn't agree more. My Mum took me to church and I attended Sunday School. My Mum isn't and wasn't religious for the record, she took me because she felt it was easier for me to decide if I saw both sides.

Needless to say I'm not religious because I found it incredibly dull and strange how these people believed this stuff. I also wasn't allowed any of "those white things all the old people get to eat at the front" during church, which really put my nose out of joint. Big time.
marvinTPA

« Reply #174 on: Friday, July 20, 2012, 22:43:32 »

Hmm, fishing or not, can't decide.

Guess the doctors can just quit, they didn't do anything.
he just won an award , i think that explains eveything
Stef Troll

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: Saturday, July 21, 2012, 00:26:40 »

What makes me laugh are the athiests who want to get married in a Church even though they dont believe in God, and worse still, when they die, they still want a ceremony at a Church as part of their funeral proceedings.

Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: Saturday, July 21, 2012, 01:37:20 »

You get pushy parents in any form of anything. How different is a parent 'forcing' religion on their child to a parent 'forcing' their football club onto them?

Things get better but they never get good
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: Saturday, July 21, 2012, 05:50:50 »

Surely the non-religious have as much right to peddle their beliefs or lack of them and harm future generations?

They fuck you up, your mum and dad.
  They may not mean to, but they do.
They fill you with the faults they had
  And add some extra, just for you
Flashheart

« Reply #178 on: Saturday, July 21, 2012, 06:42:22 »

I MUST ATTACK YOU FOR HAVING BELIEFS THAT I DON'T AGREE WITH.

Yeah, I see your point.

R4E called a bunch of Americans crazy earlier because they believed in something different to what he does. Still, at least he didn't put it all in caps.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: Saturday, July 21, 2012, 06:42:37 »

Surely the non-religious have as much right to peddle their beliefs or lack of them and harm future generations?

I'm not religious and have children. Funnily enough we don't really mention lack of religion or equally a lack of a god. I think this would be normal, why would atheists parents proactively poke holes in the religious just because they don't believe?

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13   Go Up
Print
Jump to: