Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: if your all going to barnsley......  (Read 4527 times)
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday, August 2, 2005, 20:55:26 »

fighting talk from sussex!!  :run:

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Sippo
Living in the 80s

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday, August 2, 2005, 21:00:10 »

British Bulldog

You divided yourself into two teams (gangs) one lined up on one side of the playing area, and the others dotted themselves in the middle. Then the running team had to run across to the other side of the field (or whatever) avoiding being caught (rugby tackled to the ground, usually) and held on to. If you were caught, you were out and had to either sit at the side until the team were all out, or you had to join the catching team.

The one thing I do remember is ripped and filthy clothes, and lots of bruises and bleeding. And a very cross Mum.

I remember this one fondly! British Bulldogs, or 'BBD' as I recall it being called at one point, was always the playground game I enjoyed above all others, mainly because I was awful at football as a nipper... not that I'm much better now, but I like to kid myself.
The trick always seemed to be (as a 'runner') as low-profile as possible (ie to avoid the attention of the really speedy or agile catchers), and have a really good side-step. The variant I played involved a 'tag' system instead of rugby-tackling, and those caught joined the catchers so it got progressively harder. Because I was adjudged to be relatively insignificant, I usually managed to be one of the last ones running; the sense of camaraderie at this stage was great, as you slammed into the wall (we played on a stretch of concrete playground between two walls - when a runner touched the wall, he was 'home', but close calls were frequent and were the root cause of many fights) and turned, panting and sweating, to see who else had made it. Then, with your fellow survivors, you launched back out into the largest gap or most lumbering catcher, making a bid for the other side.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Spencer_White

« Reply #32 on: Tuesday, August 2, 2005, 21:05:03 »

Yeah. On a serious note. DONT GO in the two wetherspoons in the Town centre near the bus and train stations or CHENNELS (their traditional home pub) at the top of Town. We had to drink up pretty sharpish one year.

Theres plenty of pubs to choose from. So just dont choose them. The local police really couldnt give a fuck if the odd southerner gets a smack (not joking  :? ). Loads of home drinkers  :shock:  Very small town centre (small town really).

If you are comming in by train, then a good tip for a couple of decent northern pubs, turn right out of the station. go under the bridge and down the hill. Couple of half decent ones on the left.

We are gonna go for a pub on the road into Barnsley, then perhaps venture down to one of the ones mentioned above for around 2.
mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday, August 2, 2005, 21:08:48 »

i hate drinking in yorkshire, prefer to go straight to the ground
Asher

« Reply #34 on: Tuesday, August 2, 2005, 21:15:12 »

Spencer were gonna get a kicking! Love it!
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday, August 2, 2005, 21:22:43 »

Wish I was going now!

Ah well, the cup game against Wycombe will now be extra special being my first game of the year and the return of Judas
Spencer_White

« Reply #36 on: Tuesday, August 2, 2005, 21:23:25 »

No we aint. Dont be gay. And if youve ever had a good kicking you dont love another - thats for sure.

When I said aforementioned pubs I meant the quiet ones heading north out of the station.

I know Barnsley pretty well now. Got the 7am up there 3 years ago. Was in Barnsley for 11.30am. Me and A** even drank in their main pub (chennels) for about 2 hours. I have a plan. Not taking any risks. Have as many bevs as possible, park up next to ground - shout lungs out for the Town.

Save bowling into boozers at certain southern clubs where we CAN take the piss.

Fuck me, thinking about it I know half the town centres in this league like the back of my hand.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday, August 2, 2005, 21:24:51 »

So are there any 'friendly' pubs near the ground?

reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday, August 2, 2005, 21:28:18 »

Quote from: "stfcfan"
So are there any 'friendly' pubs near the ground?

friendly...barnsley...good one!
Spencer_White

« Reply #39 on: Tuesday, August 2, 2005, 21:29:34 »

Yeah. The bar at the Megabowl.

Only sure fire safe home beer in the town centre.

If your comming in by car then stop off before the town centre. Backwards town Barnsley. When you get into Town all the obvious ones are frequented by home fans. If your comming out the station walk north or south for a beer. Not west (away from the ground) or east (towards the ground).

BTW, if yuor seriously thinking about it. Megabowl just at the top of the away fans car park. Personally Id rather drink raw sewage than frequent a bowling alley on matchdays.
Spud

« Reply #40 on: Wednesday, August 3, 2005, 05:10:55 »

Quote from: "Spencer_White"
BTW, if yuor seriously thinking about it. Megabowl just at the top of the away fans car park. Personally Id rather drink raw sewage than frequent a bowling alley on matchdays.

Northampton Town's nearest pub to their ground is a fucking Megabowl, couldnt believe how shit it was to have a post match pint in a Bowling Alley!.
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday, August 3, 2005, 08:35:11 »

Quote from: "Spuddy_STFC"
Quote from: "Spencer_White"

Northampton Town's nearest pub to their ground is a fucking Megabowl, couldnt believe how shit it was to have a post match pint in a Bowling Alley!.

There's a pub basically next to the megabowl.
Kinky Tom

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday, August 3, 2005, 08:41:00 »

Talking of drinking before the game, and I know it's a long way off, Chesterfield have a decent 'away' pub on the same road that the away entrance is on.

We're playing them on the 28th of December - which is the day before my birthday, so there's one to put in your diaries. Beers
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday, August 3, 2005, 08:47:15 »

I wanna go back to MK away again, that was a good day out last season!!  And Yeovil will be quality!  Obviously Forest at the CG (City Ground) will be worth looking forward to.
Kinky Tom

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday, August 3, 2005, 08:52:05 »

Franchise 1st of October - I trust I'll be seeing you all in Weatherspoons for a pre-match bevvy?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: