Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 17   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: England vs Shevchenko Official Matchday thread  (Read 77692 times)
Spud

« Reply #165 on: Wednesday, June 20, 2012, 17:15:14 »

we do?

We beat Spain at Wembley in November. They're a pretty decent side.
Uncletrunx

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: Wednesday, June 20, 2012, 17:15:40 »

Giggs is welsh though

And played for England at a Jr level

"Absolute Calamity!"
adje

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: Wednesday, June 20, 2012, 17:16:10 »

.....regularly?...in competitive games?

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: Wednesday, June 20, 2012, 17:16:33 »

I'm always surprised to learn that the Giggs-for-England myth still gets discussed as truth by many. He played for England Schoolboys because that's where he was going to school.

As it stands (I think)...

I, of English parentage and birth, cannot play for Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland unless I have lived there for a certain amount of time. Having a British passport will not automatically earn me a place in any other Home Nation side.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #169 on: Wednesday, June 20, 2012, 17:23:20 »

I'm always surprised to learn that the Giggs-for-England myth still gets discussed as truth by many. He played for England Schoolboys because that's where he was going to school.

I, of English parentage and birth, cannot play for Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland unless I have lived there for a certain amount of time. Having a British passport will not automatically earn me a place in any other Home Nation side.
That is true but also to add to the mix you can qualify for a different country if your grandparents are born in that specific country, e.g. Vinny Jones who was born in England, to 2 English parents but qualifed for Wales via a Welsh grandparent.

But the grandparent level is the furthest back you can go for qualification so great grandparents would not qualify you for that country.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: Wednesday, June 20, 2012, 17:37:23 »

That is true but also to add to the mix you can qualify for a different country if your grandparents are born in that specific country, e.g. Vinny Jones who was born in England, to 2 English parents but qualifed for Wales via a Welsh grandparent.

But the grandparent level is the furthest back you can go for qualification so great grandparents would not qualify you for that country.

I forgot to mention grandparents. Although I'm as Wiltshire as they come so I'm still not applicable.

Anything beyond grandparents would be ridiculous. I think Kevin Horlock was the first Northern Ireland player to qualify for Northern Ireland under the grandparents ruling.

Trevor Wood, a goalkeeper who played for Port Vale and Walsall among others, played once for Northern Ireland qualifying on a British Passport alone, the was loophole was later closed and rightly so.

A friend of my is a die-hard Norn Iron fan... Don't get him started on the Republic vs. Northern eligibility debate.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: Wednesday, June 20, 2012, 18:09:42 »

How do you decide nationality though?  Place you were born? Place you grew up? Nationality of parents?

I personally decide nationality through heritage. I was born to two english parents, all 4 of my grandparents are/were english - that makes me english.

In footballing terms its where you are born. If I was born to exactly the same set of parents but whilst living in bulgaria - in the footballing terms I'd be bulgarian. The best example being Chris Birchall born to two english parents who were living in Trinadad at the time, hence why he's a T&T international!
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: Wednesday, June 20, 2012, 18:16:16 »

You are all missing the other eligibility criteria for Ireland.

Tony Cascarino qualified because his Dad once owned an Irish Wolfhound.

However back to Giggs, I thought his Dad was English so he could have chosen England. However as his Dad had walked out on his Mum & the kids when they were young he chose his Mum's nationality.   Might be another of those urban myths though.
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: Wednesday, June 20, 2012, 18:17:34 »

I see te FA have been fined 5000 Euros by UEFA for the English fans celebrating against the Swedes.

Hopefully, if the FA doesn't win the appeal, they'll pay them in Greek Euros !!

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: Wednesday, June 20, 2012, 18:19:42 »

I personally decide nationality through heritage. I was born to two english parents, all 4 of my grandparents are/were english - that makes me english.

In footballing terms its where you are born. If I was born to exactly the same set of parents but whilst living in bulgaria - in the footballing terms I'd be bulgarian. The best example being Chris Birchall born to two english parents who were living in Trinadad at the time, hence why he's a T&T international!

Birchall's mum was born there which makes it gloriously vague.

Didn't Jordan Rhodes qualify after 5 years of schooling in Scotland? Smiley
Joycie

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: Wednesday, June 20, 2012, 19:29:39 »

How do you decide nationality though?  Place you were born? Place you grew up? Nationality of parents?

I also heard that anyone born in the UK and of British nationality can play for any of the home nations, despite having no connection to those states.  It's more of a gentlemen's agreement that means they (kind of) go with their 'proper' countries.

5 years schooling in a country.

If anyone decides to ignore this rule, FIFA will be waiting to scrap the home nations and make a team GB.

Rhodes lived in Scotland while his dad was playing up here, schooled here and went straight into the scotland set up. Says himself that he is Scottish and will strike us all the way to Brazil. [url width=17 height=17]http://forum.football365.com/images/smilies/icon_proud.gif[/url]
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: Wednesday, June 20, 2012, 20:00:48 »

If you've got a British passport, in the way of a Kevin Pieterson, then you're eligible for any home country, that wants you. Think this is why Eric Young played for Wales.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: Wednesday, June 20, 2012, 20:13:00 »

If you've got a British passport, in the way of a Kevin Pieterson, then you're eligible for any home country, that wants you. Think this is why Eric Young played for Wales.

The Home Nations rule is long gone is it not?
Coca Fola

« Reply #178 on: Wednesday, June 20, 2012, 20:27:21 »

If anyone decides to ignore this rule, FIFA will be waiting to scrap the home nations and make a team GB.

Rhodes lived in Scotland while his dad was playing up here, schooled here and went straight into the scotland set up. Says himself that he is Scottish and will strike us all the way to Brazil. [url width=17 height=17]http://forum.football365.com/images/smilies/icon_proud.gif[/url]
Or he knows he will never get in the England team so has to settle for 2nd best...  Wink
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: Wednesday, June 20, 2012, 20:30:03 »

So Scotland are pining all their hopes on a player that has never really been tested above the 3rd tier of English football?
Wow, your qualifying group must be quaking in their boots...

It's All Good..............
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 17   Go Up
Print
Jump to: