Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: England V France Matchday Thread  (Read 58885 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #15 on: Monday, June 11, 2012, 10:36:42 »

2-1 defeat.

It worked for Swindon last season in almost every thread!

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Monday, June 11, 2012, 10:39:02 »

No-one should be suprised about picking downing. He'd helpd keep the shape and the discipline a lot better than any other left sided candidate - pure and simple. We aren't going to win any games by over-awing the opposition. We need to be hard to beat, and hard to break down and take our chances as and when they come. The simple fact is there are no other left sided options as disciplined or as experienced in that role as Downing, so he has to start.

Also heard that he had the second highest chance creation record in the premiership last season, so the No-assist malarky

Oh, I'm not being objective about this. I know that he's a natural left mid, and does a basic and disciplined job there. But I dislike him, and him being in the England squad ahead of players I prefer only increases that.

Would much rather go for the 'attack is the best form of defence' thing and pick someone else. It'd probably increase our chances of not getting a result but sod it, I don't like Downing.

In the stats he has the highest % of shots off target in the league, so if our one chance falls to him we're screwed.
wiggy
Whippet fancying, T-shirt flogging cunt

Whippet Fancier

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Monday, June 11, 2012, 10:45:12 »

I haven't got a clue how we will play tonight - hoping for a 4-3-3 with 2 advanced wingers.

I think Barry and Lampard did us a favour dropping out.

It might not be pretty but I am backing Hodgson to get us playing effective football., All in all this is the first time I have been interested in how the England team do for quite a while.

Thank [insert deity of choice] for beer and peanuts
DMR

« Reply #18 on: Monday, June 11, 2012, 10:47:43 »

I haven't got a clue how we will play tonight - hoping for a 4-3-3 with 2 advanced wingers.

I think Barry and Lampard did us a favour dropping out.

It might not be pretty but I am backing Hodgson to get us playing effective football., All in all this is the first time I have been interested in how the England team do for quite a while.

Barry, agree, but not Super Frank.

Why is the bloke so undervalued as an England player? He's absolutely top draw.
wiggy
Whippet fancying, T-shirt flogging cunt

Whippet Fancier

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Monday, June 11, 2012, 10:51:59 »

Because, for me, Lampard is one of the "old guard"/"golden generation" who have achieved precisely fuck all on the international stage.

Thank [insert deity of choice] for beer and peanuts
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Monday, June 11, 2012, 10:55:52 »

I'd much rather have Lampard playing and wearing the captains armband than Gerrard.

Things get better but they never get good
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #21 on: Monday, June 11, 2012, 10:56:27 »

Because, for me, Lampard is one of the "old guard"/"golden generation" who have achieved precisely fuck all on the international stage.
I agree in some ways but you could also say the same about Paul Scholes and there was a campaign to get him to come out of international retirement.

Lampard could still do a job for England but he does need players around him who are better at winning the ball than he is but he does read the game well and can pass and shoot well too.

But, this seems to be a very low key finals for England with almost no anticipation of England doing well so perhaps its a good time to blood younger players in a finals stage of a major competition.

After all, I doubt anyone, even the most optimistic of England fans can honestly think we will win the tournament. We all hope but we don't actually believe.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Gnasher

Prefers animals to people (in a non sexual way)

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Monday, June 11, 2012, 11:08:54 »

I would just love it, love it if we gave them a good beating this evening. Being massive underdogs will suit England.

Cats are better than dogs FACT
slinky

i'm lovin' it

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Monday, June 11, 2012, 11:25:15 »

I'm not expecting anything great from England, but you never know they might surprise a few people.  I already have butterflies.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Monday, June 11, 2012, 11:26:16 »

I think it's going to be a tight game, but I can't see where our firepower is coming from. 1-0 France Sad
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Monday, June 11, 2012, 11:28:19 »

Where's the stunners thread? Can't wait to see jutty's choices shot down by the flash  Wink
Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Monday, June 11, 2012, 11:36:47 »

Think we will be lucky to get a draw, which wont be to damaging. Just hope we don't get thumped.
Heart says 2-2 head says 2-0 loss.
london_red

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Monday, June 11, 2012, 11:41:07 »

Think a lot of people are overrating the French, yet to see any evidence this crop of players can play cohesively well together when it counts.

Having said that we're no great shakes and it's tough to see where our goals will come from bar a piece of individual skill from Young or Gerrard.

1-1.
Cookie

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Monday, June 11, 2012, 11:50:09 »

I'm looking forward to this, early finish from work and straight to the pub. Really hoping we can put up a fight and would be very happy with a draw.

1-1
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Monday, June 11, 2012, 11:51:10 »

i see (via Tans twitter retweet) that Oxlade-Chamberlain starts tonight. i think he's the closest thing we have to a wildcard player.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 14   Go Up
Print
Jump to: