Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Spearman and co  (Read 23992 times)
animalwilliams

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Monday, January 16, 2012, 11:29:12 »

Complimentary boardroom tickets, free booze, travel etc. I think I would be at most away games with those perks.

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Monday, January 16, 2012, 11:36:13 »

Spearman is stfc through and through. Don't think he would have done anything to harm the club deliberately. Misguided maybe? but plenty of genuine people have been regarding club matters over the years
PetsWinPrizes

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Monday, January 16, 2012, 11:44:17 »

When Spearman  was chairman during the MuckMahon era I had a friend who would regularly write to him telling him, in no uncertain terms, where he thought the club was going wrong.

Rather than roll his eyes at another fan who thought he could do better Spearman rang my friend and invited him into the club to chat face to face about his thought. My mate asked if I, as someone else who was always fairly vocal about what I thought the club should be doing, could go along, this he was assured, would be more than fine.

So one afternoon, we both bunked off college early, spent a good few fascinating hours at the CG, with Spearman taking us to the board room and discussing our concerns, then giving us a full tour of the stadium.

Though it got a bit heated between my mate and Mike over the sale of Fjortoft, to the extent that I had to intervene and suggest we move the conversation on, Spearman was never any thing but charming and made us feel like our views really mattered to him.  He ended our encounter, having just taken us round the home changing rooms, by requesting that my friend write to him on a monthly basis, updating him with his thoughts on 'how we're doing'.

Two things stuck out for me. Firstly how great he was with people, we were both 17/18 at the time but he was in no way patronizing, and spoke candidly, and with some charm, through out. Secondly his love for the club, and interest in the players from the first team down to the kids really shone through. He loved Swindon Town as much as us, we might not have be convinced by everything he said, but we both agreed after he was a true fan

He gave up a lot of time for us that day, something he really didn’t have to do, I think he deserves a lot of respect for that. On this occasion I’d say  don’t judge a man by the company he keeps…
« Last Edit: Monday, January 16, 2012, 11:48:51 by PetsWinPrizes » Logged
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Monday, January 16, 2012, 12:04:43 »

Complimentary boardroom tickets, free booze, travel etc. I think I would be at most away games with those perks.
Would you also be putting in the hours - without pay - that some of these people do at the club?
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Monday, January 16, 2012, 13:05:26 »

Puffett was certainly one of those that was ruled by Mikey D, if Mikey said jump he'd ask how high he could never make a decision without Mikey agreeing to it, yes they fell out in the end but dont paint Puffett as whiter than white as he is not and also had a hand in the way the club was run back then, and he knew a lot that was going on at the club and kept quiet for a long time.

Then there's Spearman....for me both those guys are just hangers on, they have no official role at the club but like to swan around the exec areas as if they are important and they are not of course but like to feel it....dead wood

For me these 2 are like the kids at school who like to hang around with who's popular in the hope that they will become popular themselves.

I think enough has been said about SSW and his son Tim nice but Dim James due to them this club could have gone under.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Monday, January 16, 2012, 13:27:09 »

He's a cunt.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Monday, January 16, 2012, 13:50:51 »

That's rich coming from you...
Phil_S

Who changed my Avatar ?!

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Monday, January 16, 2012, 14:32:55 »

I think enough has been said about SSW and his son Tim nice but Dim James due to them this club could have gone under.

He wasn't even nice !

From the Dark Side
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Monday, January 16, 2012, 15:24:01 »

That's rich coming from you...

It isn't and he's a cunt.
blinkpip
His Infernal Majesty

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Monday, January 16, 2012, 17:09:19 »

If you read the match day progs, then his name is usually somewhere sponsoring various stuff.

ee the trick is only pick on those that can't do you no harm
Like the drummer from Def Leppard's only got one arm

I annoyed Yeovilred 28/01/06
corner

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Monday, January 16, 2012, 17:38:21 »

puffet dosent sit in the board room he pays and sits in the chairmans lounge, spearman does part of the matchday tour i would think he still pays to an extent. free booze?Huh?
Spencer_White

« Reply #26 on: Monday, January 16, 2012, 18:29:03 »

Be interesting to hear what Banbury Red thinks of him.

Iv always thought he was a sound bloke. A real supporter.
69 er

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Monday, January 16, 2012, 20:21:22 »

Looks like someones got a man crush Girl Giggle
Ralphy

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Monday, January 16, 2012, 20:24:59 »

Utter twat.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Monday, January 16, 2012, 20:25:09 »

Be interesting to hear what Banbury Red thinks of him.

Iv always thought he was a sound bloke. A real supporter.

Nothing wrong with Mike Spearman in the past and present. Like some posts on here already, a very decent bloke and still does plently for the Club.
When the new regime took over they knew the cancer in the Club and Mike was not one of them hence he is still around.
Don't know enough about Cliff Puffett but I can say a friend who sits very near me at Swindon knows him as a personal friend and does not say a bad word about him either.

We all know Diamandis was enemy number one. I have no time for Bob Holt who lied to my face in meetings, Sandy Gray or Wills "Tim nice but Dim" Junior. Diamandis was running the Club and nobody stood in his way. SSW was completely in the dark and gave him far too much control but learnt the hard way.
Even wee Willie can come out with some credit albeit very small.

That Chapter is well and truly behind us and when I see what is happening to Darlo that was us if Fitton and Co did not take control.
Diamandis had a dream. A big hotel on the back of the Clubs finances............We were a lot fucking closer to meltdown than many people realise.

I remember the Brighton game when we lost 3-0. As I walked away from the Ground that dark night. I remember looking back from the grass outside the DR Stand and saying "goodbye under my breath".
Tired of protesting, tired of arranging plots and gaining info and this was overtaking watching football.
I had enough and was going to give up watching the Town.
In a bizarre way being an Oxon lad and detesting all things "yellow" I realised I still had a purpose. Not seeing the Pox triumph over us. I could still "do my bit"

How times have changed.

Still think its a little sad that Paul Davis & Mex Red are not sharing in the "glory" now as they were right in the mix during those bad days.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: