Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Adver News: Town's FA Cup date with Wigan set to draw huge crowd  (Read 17298 times)
stfcinbmth

« Reply #45 on: Thursday, January 5, 2012, 17:06:50 »

massive cclub compared to us

The might be in the top league but I wouldn't go that far Reg

I'm feeling confident that we will turn em over
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Thursday, January 5, 2012, 17:13:14 »

The might be in the top league but I wouldn't go that far Reg

I'm feeling confident that we will turn em over

Unfortunately if you look at all the pertinent factors like crowd size, turnover, wage bill, time in the top flight, etc they aremuch bigger than us.
Seņor

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Thursday, January 5, 2012, 17:22:20 »

The only reason they are in the top flight is because all of the money thrown at them. They were getting between 5.5-7k average attendance when they were in league one (division 2) just under 10 years ago, this was in their new stadium as well. I wouldn't be surprised to see it fall back to that if they one day drop down to where they belong.
« Last Edit: Thursday, January 5, 2012, 17:24:36 by Seņor » Logged
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #48 on: Thursday, January 5, 2012, 17:25:15 »

The only reason they are in the top flight is because all of the money thrown at them. They were getting between 5.5-7k average attendance when they were in league one (division 2) just under 10 years ago. I wouldn't be surprised to see it fall back to that if they one day drop down to where they belong.

But Reg is rght, they ARE 3 divisions higher than us, have higher crowds than us and have been in the Premier League longer than we ever were, so technically that makes them bigger than us.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
newmarket red
, ; . ' ?

Thrives on negativity.

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Thursday, January 5, 2012, 17:27:15 »

BBC have just reported its a sell out for saturday happy days cant wait now for saturday.
pericarp
is a nice chap

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Thursday, January 5, 2012, 17:31:47 »

But Reg is rght, they ARE 3 divisions higher than us, have higher crowds than us and have been in the Premier League longer than we ever were, so technically that makes them bigger than us.

Well Giant Pandas are bigger than leopards, but which ones scarier?

stfcinbmth

« Reply #51 on: Thursday, January 5, 2012, 17:46:46 »

Unfortunately if you look at all the pertinent factors like crowd size, turnover, wage bill, time in the top flight, etc they aremuch bigger than us.

Now I could live with bigger, but massive they are not. Guess I'm just splitting hairs about it really, even though I'm not going I'm still pretty excited about it
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Thursday, January 5, 2012, 17:47:07 »

Also the fact that we can sell out testifies to the pull of a Prem side on the neutral....think the last time we played them and rolled them over with goals by Invincibile and Gurney, the crowd was just over 5000 There weren't that many more for Uddersfield in R1, a club with a lot of history unlike Wigan but still Div 3.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Thursday, January 5, 2012, 17:48:19 »

You're [url width=110 height=110]http://freesmileyface.net/smiley/msn-emoticons/msn-emoticon-fishing-175.gif[/url] again...so I'll respond.

Making that kind of comparison (Wigan vs STFC) is like saying any one of us would end up being savaged by Bambi if our cervine friend was placed on a permanent diet of steroids.  Everyone knows Wigan are minnows punching well above their weight - for no reason other than the cash supplied by their benefactor.  They are a waste of a Premiership place.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Thursday, January 5, 2012, 18:00:25 »

You're [url width=110 height=110]http://freesmileyface.net/smiley/msn-emoticons/msn-emoticon-fishing-175.gif[/url] again...so I'll respond.

Making that kind of comparison (Wigan vs STFC) is like saying any one of us would end up being savaged by Bambi if our cervine friend was placed on a permanent diet of steroids.  Everyone knows Wigan are minnows punching well above their weight - for no reason other than the cash supplied by their benefactor.  They are a waste of a Premiership place.

Personally I'd say it's a good thing that an unfashionable club can punch above their weight for a while, with nothing more than some astute financial backing from the owner, and mostly decent management. I rather wish it could have been us..
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Thursday, January 5, 2012, 18:07:29 »

I can see that too...but, for me, the stronger, more important argument is that competition is devalued if you're able wade in and skew it with a cheque book.  All teams are guilty to a greater or lesser degree...but you have to draw the line somewhere.  While they all operate at different levels, I dislike Wigan, Man City and Crawley for precisely the same reason.
woolster

« Reply #56 on: Thursday, January 5, 2012, 18:21:26 »

if anyone wants a spare ticket i have one as i have work to complete a contract so i can get paid Bad Mood, its in the DRS Crying
stfcinbmth

« Reply #57 on: Thursday, January 5, 2012, 18:28:20 »

if anyone wants a spare ticket i have one as i have work to complete a contract so i can get paid Bad Mood, its in the DRS Crying

Is it free?
woolster

« Reply #58 on: Thursday, January 5, 2012, 18:39:21 »

Is it free?
it is dave, and if its for you i will put bells on it to Cheesy
stfcinbmth

« Reply #59 on: Thursday, January 5, 2012, 18:45:21 »

it is dave, and if its for you i will put bells on it to Cheesy

I'm sorely tempted but I've got to stay here and make sure the recording gets done, thanks anyway Gary
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: