Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Two minutes Silence at 12.00  (Read 2872 times)
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, July 14, 2005, 11:15:03 »

So me and a friend were stood outside of a Zurich building observing the two minutes silence with around 15 other people, when a guy (looked like a visitor to the building) walks up to us and says "What this??  you lot just enjoying the sun, or has the building been evacuated?"

My mate explained about the silence and the fella then stood next to us looking a little sheepish.  I felt like saying to the bloke yeah the whole building's been evacuated, we always stand next to the building when we get evacuated and also do you really think only 20 or so people work in that building.  FFS - some people are so stupid!!
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, July 14, 2005, 11:19:19 »

Quote from: "janaage"
So me and a friend were stood outside of a Zurich building observing the two minutes silence with around 15 other people, when a guy (looked like a visitor to the building) walks up to us and says "What this??  you lot just enjoying the sun, or has the building been evacuated?"

My mate explained about the silence and the fella then stood next to us looking a little sheepish.  I felt like saying to the bloke yeah the whole building's been evacuated, we always stand next to the building when we get evacuated and also do you really think only 20 or so people work in that building.  FFS - some people are so stupid!!

I was dead impressed when we all stood silent outside our building that the buses were still running and the scaffolders carried on banging hell out of the scaffolding, shouting at each other and so on. Nice one, guys. Real class. Especially p'ed off about the buses though - surely the bus company could have said to their drivers just to pull over for a couple of minutes?
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, July 14, 2005, 11:22:57 »

I thought that too, and all the empty taxi's just driving about.  What a sad bunch of c.....

2 minutes is all they wanted and they can't be bothered.
walrus

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Thursday, July 14, 2005, 11:30:53 »

Not a lot of point in the entire world stopping to be honest.  If we're celebrating the freedom of our country, people should have the freedom whether or not observe the silence.

I work in Next - they're money-grabbing tits.
DanOUFC

« Reply #19 on: Thursday, July 14, 2005, 11:41:37 »

All here were stood outside but the bloody builders next door banged all the way through it
Dazzza

« Reply #20 on: Thursday, July 14, 2005, 11:46:39 »

Went well here, busses all stopped blocking some of the traffic although some tit was busy on the horn.

As per usual some tool on his mobile marched up the Street oblivious to the fact the traffic had virtualy stopped and outside every building was a stack of people.

Someone told him to shut the fuck up thankfully.

Amir

« Reply #21 on: Thursday, July 14, 2005, 11:51:18 »

It's a nice touch and that, but it means f all.  

Found out yesterday a mate of mine nearly got on one of the trains and a friend of his died.  Need to speak to him really.  Doubt he kept the silence to be honest.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Thursday, July 14, 2005, 12:04:14 »

Disappointed with some of your responses about this. I've just been trying to teach my 8 and 5 year old sons that a minute or two minutes silence is the way that we Brits pay respect to the fallen.

Seeing some of the posts just reminds me that respect is something that many people in their 20s and below seem to be totally lacking.

NMH

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Thursday, July 14, 2005, 12:08:36 »

I'm not the biggest fan of minutes' silences in general but I have to say that today was fucking brilliant.  Everyone piled out of their offices onto the street and ALL the traffic (I work close to one of London's busiest roads) stopped.

What was the point?

I don't know.

A show of solidarity against the muderous scum?  

That's a good enough reason for me.
Spud

« Reply #24 on: Thursday, July 14, 2005, 12:09:36 »

I was asleep during the silence but i do think that it is worthwhile!.
Amir

« Reply #25 on: Thursday, July 14, 2005, 12:18:13 »

Disappointed with some of your responses about this. I've just been trying to teach my 8 and 5 year old sons that a minute or two minutes silence is the way that we Brits pay respect to the fallen.

Seeing some of the posts just reminds me that respect is something that many people in their 20s and below seem to be totally lacking.

I have the upmost respect, especially for those who fought in the second world war.  I tend to look at the bigger picture is all.

Saying that though I'm sure I would have felt angry if I'd been somewhere where people were keeping it, and others didn't stop.
magicroundabout
Fanta Pants

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Thursday, July 14, 2005, 12:20:47 »

1 or 2 minutes silence is well worth it.

regardless if we directly wasn't affected but just to show support for those who lost there lives and the loved ones left behind.

And also to stand up together and say fuck you to the murderous scum who caused such destruction to people and there lives.

I find a minutes silence quite moving at football matches etc as it just brings everyone together in there respect for the fallen.

at the end of the day what is 1 or 2 minute(s) to show someone respect

sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Thursday, July 14, 2005, 12:23:35 »

I was asleep so I suppose I observed the silence.
Piemonte

« Reply #28 on: Thursday, July 14, 2005, 13:21:20 »

Quote from: "Nomoreheroes"

NMH

Thats bollocks, I think everyone on here has the upmost respect for the dead and injured as well as anger towards the evil bastards responsble for it. 2 minutes of silence ultimatley wont bring back anyones mum/dad/sister and make everything ok.
Bedford Red

Smithers Jones

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Thursday, July 14, 2005, 16:50:23 »

It seemed to be observed well in Bedford. Everyone in the Council observed it, couldn't go outside as there isn't room for all 700 of us.

And as we're opposite a shopping centre I could see all the public, and most stood still and observed it as well.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: