Pages: 1 ... 533 534 535 [536] 537 538 539 ... 560   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Managerial Merry-go-round 2021-2022; sack, shuffle, repeat  (Read 1967516 times)
Broadbents Tackle

TEF Historian

Ignore
« Reply #8025 on: Friday, December 3, 2021, 11:45:21 »

So this from the BBC was possibly even more smoke up the arse than I cynically suspected.

In many respects it was the impossible job. Richie Wellens was brought in to recreate the style and success of the glory years under Sean O'Driscoll with a much smaller budget.

Rovers hierarchy made no secret of their financial issues in a post-Covid era, but difficulties became all too apparent before a ball was kicked in August.

Trialists were forced to leave because contracts couldn't be finalised, whilst existing Rovers players couldn't or wouldn't move on because of the deals they were on.

Injuries have also blighted Wellens tenure leading to a distinct lack of potency; it's the main footballing reason they are where they are, with just 11 goals in 19 games. So another long term plan hasn't lasted from one window to the next.

41 1st teamers doesn't sound like a broke club but I've seen their fans suggesting there are money issues, plus it seemed we got Reid in strange circumstances after he'd played a few pre-season games there and looked to be signing, so there could be some truth in it.

Whether your eyes are green, brown, blue, let me see a little bit of red in 'em.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #8026 on: Friday, December 3, 2021, 11:49:38 »

Here is a comment from the local press on the situation.

Initially, in regards to the poor form this season, Wellens was given the benefit of the doubt due to the horrendous injury situation and the prospect of key players returning imminently.

While sympathetic towards the manager due the absences, it was felt the drab football on display was not close to matching what Wellens had produced elsewhere.

And with doubts comes an inevitable reexamination of why the appointment was made in the first place - questions over whether they had got the manager they thought they were getting.

The expected spiky character failed to materialise during his tenure. Challenges they thought they would encounter - and would have welcomed - did not come and he was found to be surprisingly agreeable.

But his conduct on the sidelines during matches brought concerns, and he was asked to compose himself in future fiery situations that had earned him yellow and red cards. This was even before what occurred during the clash with Bolton Wanderers last month.

There were questions over his willingness to work across departments, liaising effectively with the likes of recruitment, sports science and medical teams.

There was also a feeling that certain signings were not living up the billing Wellens had given them in his sales pitch - which consequently raised doubts over his suitability to lead recruitment in a January window where success would be vital.

It is understood that the squad enjoyed working under Wellens and are genuinely upset that he is no longer manager.

His training sessions were said to be enjoyable and productive, with players confident the style he was looking to implement would eventually bear fruit.

But concerns have grown recently among more senior members of the group that, in not wanting to divert too far away from the style he was pursuing, he was harming Rovers’ immediate goal of moving out of relegation trouble.

The concern was that Wellens was fixated on January recruitment being transformative, rather than looking to stop the rot in the here and now in order to give Rovers a platform for an improved second half of the campaign.

If that fixation was true, it was understandable given the injury picture never improved during his tenure and the experienced players he was desperate for were never in his grasp.

But the doubts would not diminish among certain elements of club management.
Some fairly similar experiences it seems at almost every club he has been at, some good some less than good.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #8027 on: Friday, December 3, 2021, 12:02:03 »

WRT the injuries, did he follow the 'buy better players who are only at this level 'cos they are injury prone' model he adopted here? If so it looks that the fears some had hear really came home to roost there?
Peter Venkman

« Reply #8028 on: Friday, December 3, 2021, 12:08:33 »

TBH I don't know if the injured players were players he brought to the club or not but some of those comments sounds familiar.

Crackity Jones

« Reply #8029 on: Friday, December 3, 2021, 12:44:01 »

Some interesting comments from the press there PV. I am surprised about the drab football one. When he was here, the football was some of the best I have seen us play in years.

The recruitment one on players not living up to their billing makes me think of Matej Kovar (shudder), Adam May etc so I get that.

I just don't get how you get to do a good job at one club and be dogshit everywhere else. I guess you never know what goes on behind the scenes.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #8030 on: Friday, December 3, 2021, 12:51:45 »

Absolutely, as fans we only really see whats on the pitcj every game there are many more things that affect players and managers off the pitch, like in all walks of life and jobs.

It seems that that all the stars aligned at Swindon with quality players available at the right time in the right positions and the right personalities too.

I don't think hes a bad manager but maybe hasn't had the rub of the green, the comment about dull football I can fully understand as when you play that style he does if it doesnt work then it looks lazy and dull if things arent working, as they blatantly didn't at Salford and Doncaster.

horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #8031 on: Friday, December 3, 2021, 13:27:16 »

I am surprised about the drab football one. When he was here, the football was some of the best I have seen us play in years.

Its a pretty low bar....
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #8032 on: Friday, December 3, 2021, 13:27:50 »

Some interesting comments from the press there PV. I am surprised about the drab football one. When he was here, the football was some of the best I have seen us play in years.

The recruitment one on players not living up to their billing makes me think of Matej Kovar (shudder), Adam May etc so I get that.

I just don't get how you get to do a good job at one club and be dogshit everywhere else. I guess you never know what goes on behind the scenes.

By putting together a great team seemingly by luck rather than judgement and not having that luck anywhere else (or even in your second season)
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #8033 on: Friday, December 3, 2021, 13:47:22 »

By putting together a great team seemingly by luck rather than judgement and not having that luck anywhere else (or even in your second season)

You win a game by luck, maybe even a few games by luck - the way your team plays and winning a title decided over 35+ games is not luck (although I agree that the PPG had a big slice of luck involved because that was down to timing - not RW's fault though).

You love to bang this drum DV, and I get the feeling that RW might have slept with a family member of yours or pissed in your cornflakes or something, but to say that a nearly 2 year tender as manager which delivered very attractive attacking football and a league title is luck is severley pushing the boundaries.

I understand why people are torn on RW and I get that he pissed a lot of people off in the manner that he went - but that has nothing to do with what he did when he was here. Maybe subsequent jobs have gone on to prove that he was not the full package and that while here he hit his peak of managerial skills, who knows - but all luck? Do me a favour..

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #8034 on: Friday, December 3, 2021, 14:22:24 »

You win a game by luck, maybe even a few games by luck - the way your team plays and winning a title decided over 35+ games is not luck (although I agree that the PPG had a big slice of luck involved because that was down to timing - not RW's fault though).

You love to bang this drum DV, and I get the feeling that RW might have slept with a family member of yours or pissed in your cornflakes or something, but to say that a nearly 2 year tender as manager which delivered very attractive attacking football and a league title is luck is severley pushing the boundaries.

I understand why people are torn on RW and I get that he pissed a lot of people off in the manner that he went - but that has nothing to do with what he did when he was here. Maybe subsequent jobs have gone on to prove that he was not the full package and that while here he hit his peak of managerial skills, who knows - but all luck? Do me a favour..

Got Oldham relegated and was sacked.
Great season with us.
Started off poorly with us and left.
Did poorly at Salford and was sacked.
Did poorly at Doncaster and was sacked.

Nothing to do with person grudges. Never ever even met the bloke.

The good season with us is the anomaly.
Facts are there and clear to see.
Crackity Jones

« Reply #8035 on: Friday, December 3, 2021, 14:34:20 »

Its a pretty low bar....
too true Horlock, too true. I just made the mistake of looking at Wikipedia at records of managers of STFC. Its not a pretty read and I need a large drink now.
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #8036 on: Friday, December 3, 2021, 14:46:14 »

Got Oldham relegated and was sacked.
Great season with us.
Started off poorly with us and left.
Did poorly at Salford and was sacked.
Did poorly at Doncaster and was sacked.

Nothing to do with person grudges. Never ever even met the bloke.

The good season with us is the anomaly.
Facts are there and clear to see.
The difference in his (overall) stats at Swindon and his stats at Oldham and Salford are slight:

Swindon: W35 D17 L31
Oldham: W14 D16 L13
Salford: W11 D10 L9

Won more games than he lost at all of them. I don't think his record at any of them was that poor and circumstances at each club should also be considered, especially at Swindon and Oldham. At Salford he wasn't given a decent chance to prove himself and/or fell out with the owners...

His record at Doncaster is, to be sure, poor. But circumstances should also be taken into consideration. Their budget was vastly reduced compared to previous managers there.

I wouldn't mind seeing him back at Swindon one day. He did a magnificent job, football-wise and community-wise.

Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #8037 on: Friday, December 3, 2021, 14:57:11 »

I wouldn't mind seeing him back at Swindon one day. He did a magnificent job, football-wise and community-wise.

Which was totally down to luck.  Suicide

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #8038 on: Friday, December 3, 2021, 15:10:03 »

Anyway he isn't coming back,however much some love him, he left us for the club with better tits and stalking him on Facebook sat in out pants eating beans out of the tin isn't going to achieve anything.

The club have moved on and he has moved on.
Crackity Jones

« Reply #8039 on: Friday, December 3, 2021, 15:58:15 »

I don't understand this narrative that keeps cropping up. Nobody is really sitting there crying and wishing him back etc etc; merely stating he did a good job here and was a good manager for us.
Pages: 1 ... 533 534 535 [536] 537 538 539 ... 560   Go Up
Print
Jump to: