Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Supporter representation on the board  (Read 6447 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Monday, July 11, 2011, 20:23:05 »

Why should fans have a board presence?

Tesco's don't nominate one of their loyalty card holders to their board meetings, do they?

Football is a business and needs to be run as a business.

Not all businesses are the same, and as JGIAA points out football clubs are strange businesses.  Take for example the Co-Op model, where the members get to vote for the Board of Directors, who are then expected to make the best decisions for the business and membership.

Of course STFC used to be run as a Co-Op until the mid 80's....when the fateful decision to change the Articles of Association were changed.

WE know the difficult history this has given since....and a fan rep on the Board, was one of the aims, when Diamond Mike and SSW were in charge.  Think people settled back and were prepared to trust the present lot to get things right...this could now be changing, possibly slowly at first.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #31 on: Monday, July 11, 2011, 20:28:53 »

A director's job is to make the best decisions for the business and the shareholders/members in any situation or sector.

Which was part of the perceived problem with previous incumbents.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Monday, July 11, 2011, 20:35:01 »

Its a hard one really.
I mean as we can tell from this forum all fans have different views,would be nearly impossible for one mouthpiece on the board.
As Herthab says footy is buisness and the fans dont count anymore in reality.
The discounts on matchdays are to entice more in(a good scheme) not to reward the loyal fans who spend big money through a whole season.
melksham_exile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Monday, July 11, 2011, 20:38:41 »

The increased cost will affect me directly because I work on Saturdays, meaning I have to try and pick the best of the bunch and book time off.........however this hike in prices should be put into context. Those of us that are saying 'if I could get to the games I'd buy a season ticket' need to think that the extra few quid occasionally will still be a lot less than you'd be spending if you went to every home game. The restrictions in this league mean you have to show you can control your costs within the wage cap. So the board will have had to show a projection of gates and subsequent receipts to produce the budget. It's a direct smack in the mouth from the shit that've all jumped ship this summer. I've been dejected by players before but never have they directly cost me more money, the board are just trying to address the situation. I actually wouldn't be suprised that if we get promotion; the tickets decrease again in league one
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Monday, July 11, 2011, 20:39:21 »

A single representative wouldnt work.

The best work around would for the board to invite in a selection of fans (the database has all season ticket holders details) and form a [Apprentice style] focus group.

You would hopefully get a wide range of views and different fans each time.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Monday, July 11, 2011, 20:47:14 »

Read the average Thisis comments section and then get back to me about having a supporter representative on the board.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Monday, July 11, 2011, 20:50:08 »

A single representative wouldnt work.

The best work around would for the board to invite in a selection of fans (the database has all season ticket holders details) and form a [Apprentice style] focus group.

You would hopefully get a wide range of views and different fans each time.

This,but it will never happen No
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #37 on: Monday, July 11, 2011, 20:54:03 »

What if prices somewhere have to rise to get sustain the budget needed for promotion. Say the board ask do we either put season tickets up by £50 or we charge £5 extra on matchday tickets.?

As a season ticket holder what's my agenda going to be? Myself and the fans/mates I see for the majority of home games or the mates and fans who don't make the majority of games?

The only way to do it would have a trust member on the board who is fully accountable to trust members. In fact that's probably the only scenario where it would work.
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #38 on: Monday, July 11, 2011, 20:57:06 »

Maybe instead of doing a design a dicanio poster or design a fucking Pizza they could of been in dialogue with the trust and supporters club.

With the horrific wage bill we have just slashed by getting rid of that shower of shit and the fact the wages we are paying for our new signings will hardly be massive i hope they have something big lined up to warrant the casuals wanting to pay £25 a match.

The fact that dicanio is manager will not justify it because the ones who give a shit have already got our season tickets because we were told we had a deadline that got moved 3 times.

Yes i am in a bad fucking mood

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Monday, July 11, 2011, 21:09:50 »

Don't like the idea. Who would pick the fan?
Holding a season ticket doesn't make a better fan though. The board and some season ticket holders should note this. More so the board who bend over backwards to accomodate season ticket holders to the detriment of all the other fans.
They really have made some stupid errors in their time here. Out of touch and clueless about football. The fact they are rich as fuck means they get away with it.
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #40 on: Monday, July 11, 2011, 21:18:24 »

Don't like the idea. Who would pick the fan?
Holding a season ticket doesn't make a better fan though. The board and some season ticket holders should note this. More so the board who bend over backwards to accomodate season ticket holders to the detriment of all the other fans.
They really have made some stupid errors in their time here. Out of touch and clueless about football. The fact they are rich as fuck means they get away with it.
Exactly and to be fair the old adage of well just think where we could of been etc wears a bit thin when they make massive cock ups like this. How anybody can even try and justify that these prices are ok is beyond me.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #41 on: Monday, July 11, 2011, 21:20:05 »

I think I've seen one person justify them though before you all get your knickers in a twist with people on here Wink
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Monday, July 11, 2011, 21:29:51 »

I think the last board's effort at rising prices was what allowed the anti spirit to fester and then grow against them in the end.  That pushed plenty of fans from being positive to negative in frame of mind, which in turn allowed the true failings to be finally met with despise rather than indifference.

This a big fucking gamble, one I think will backfire.  Football fans are a loyal bunch, but when they do stop going, it can take a long old while to get them back.  Once they find something else to do, it can be a lot of hard work to get them to give that up, especially when it tends to be playing football for those young enough, or ending-up being parents as they've so often forgot they are (that's me that is).

I had a season ticket for the past 2 years but decided against renewing simply because of the restrictions and hassle it seemd to create for me - the joy of getting a matchday ticket was that you often ended up in the shit seats which just so happened also tend to be away from the poor moaning bastards you get lumbered with on a season ticket.  I'd got pretty much fed up with the place, oddly not the team!  This may now make my decisions be much more emtionless than they should be.  I'm going to find myself weighing up £25 to watch Swindon against something else, when the reality is I should be left trying to justify to the wife why she needs to lose a day wages to watch the kids.

This smacks of a decision made in a boardroom with nobody else in it.  Idea comes to you, nobody to knock it back so you convince yourself of all the positives and lose sight of reality.
JanAageisGod

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Monday, July 11, 2011, 22:17:29 »

Why should fans have a board presence?

Tesco's don't nominate one of their loyalty card holders to their board meetings, do they?

Football is a business and needs to be run as a business.

Then all clubs should get rid of that expensive bullshit they call the "community scheme" then I presume. All that fuzzy do-gooding that might bring in a few kids from time to time if you are lucky. Clearly un-economic.

The trouble with putting fans on the board, or individuals is that they they can easily "go native" after a period where they end up representing the board to the fans. It can often be a very effective tactic to neuter opponents. I'd still like to see it happen though.

« Last Edit: Monday, July 11, 2011, 22:22:47 by JanAageisGod » Logged

herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Monday, July 11, 2011, 22:36:37 »

Then all clubs should get rid of that expensive bullshit they call the "community scheme" then I presume. All that fuzzy do-gooding that might bring in a few kids from time to time if you are lucky. Clearly un-economic.

The trouble with putting fans on the board, or individuals is that they they can easily "go native" after a period where they end up representing the board to the fans. It can often be a very effective tactic to neuter opponents. I'd still like to see it happen though.

Community schemes groom fans for the future. What the fuck has that got to do with board representation?

It's All Good..............
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: