Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: DSLR Camera  (Read 19536 times)
pumbaa
Ha, no cunt in my title anymore. Oh.....

Fartmeister

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: Tuesday, December 13, 2011, 21:21:00 »

I have the Canon 70-300. Last time it was used was in Wyoming in 2006.....nice lens mind.

And I'd stump up the extra if you can afford to.
slinky

i'm lovin' it

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: Tuesday, December 13, 2011, 23:24:03 »

Anyone else got a Canon 1100D? Don't know whether to plump for that or stump up an extra £100 for the 550D.

Depends on how serious you are about your photography?  Both will give you better results than a compact or bridge camera.  If you just plan on taking a few snap shots and leaving everything in auto then save yourself a few quid and go for the lesser model or a bridge camera.  Also worth considering the kit lenses on these camera's aren't up to much so to achieve stunning results you would be looking at spending few quid on decent glass.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: Wednesday, December 14, 2011, 07:43:31 »

I'll admit I'm a bit of an amateur when it comes to cameras, but the whole point in getting a DSLR is to change that.

I've done a lot of reading about shutter speed, aperture, ISO etc. so no, the camera won't just be on auto. I realise the kit lenses aren't anything special (hence they are so cheap) so will probably go for a semi-decent prime lens when I get the camera.
slinky

i'm lovin' it

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: Wednesday, December 14, 2011, 09:12:58 »

In that case I would pay a bit more to get the better camera rather than start with the 1100d and find you are after an upgrade in a few months.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #109 on: Wednesday, December 14, 2011, 09:29:02 »

I've done a lot of reading about shutter speed, aperture, ISO etc. so no, the camera won't just be on auto. I realise the kit lenses aren't anything special (hence they are so cheap) so will probably go for a semi-decent prime lens when I get the camera.

You do get much better results by taking it off from auto, but it does take a lot of experimentation with shutter settings, ISO and shutter speeds to get the best from a camera and a picture how you want it taken with the correct depth of field that you desire etc.

I studied it for a year at college and it opens up a whole new world of pictures, enjoy your journey Sam, once you get gripped you never go back to just point and click, leave that to your mobile phone.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
slinky

i'm lovin' it

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: Wednesday, December 14, 2011, 10:52:08 »

A very good book to read when you are starting out is Understanding Exposure by Bryan Petersen.
pumbaa

Fartmeister

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: Wednesday, December 14, 2011, 12:17:32 »

Slinky speaks sense.

I have the Bryan Petersen book which you are welcome to borrow if you like.

While the Canon 50mm f1.8 is a steal at ~ £70, its limited on a crop camera (1100 or 550) because its effective focal length is 80mm. Not much use if you're trying to shoot indoors / limited space environments. Its worth investing in, but take a look at the Canon 28mm or Sigma 30mm offerings - admittedly more expensive but far more flexible.

I have a Canon kit lens (18-55) doing sod all if you want it for a token fee / save a bit of dosh at the outset.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: Wednesday, December 14, 2011, 12:21:20 »

There's only a tenner's difference between body only and body + kit lens, so thanks for the offer but it's simple enough to just grab one with the camera.

The bundle's are coming in at around £100 more than the standard body + kit lens price. Having researched the lenses that are bundled in the deal (the Tamron 70-300mm and the Canon 50mm), both are available for £100 or less. Think I'll just grab a standard package and then look at buying a decent second lens elsewhere.
pumbaa

Fartmeister

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: Wednesday, December 14, 2011, 12:26:07 »

No brainer in that case then and you're doing the sensible thing IMO.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: Thursday, December 13, 2012, 15:34:51 »

Bumpity-bump. Looking to take a step up from the current "point and shoot" and have been looking at 2nd hand EOS 450Ds, mainly because they seem to offer a reasonable bang for buck. Looking for something that will take reasonable quality pics, and that I can play with a little, but is also missus-friendly (i.e. it needs to be easy/light enough that she can use it without having to learn much). It doesn't need to be all singing/dancing, and indeed won't be as I don't have very much to spend on it (around 200 quid). Any recommendations/thoughts? Both on the 450D and/or other possible candidates etc. (I appreciate the very limited budget is going to narrow the field considerably, even for used kit)
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: Thursday, December 13, 2012, 15:40:44 »

I have the 450D and is superb. You can do basic stuff but you can also do advanced. Its a brilliant first dslr in my opinion.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: Thursday, December 13, 2012, 15:45:30 »

Cheers Sippo. Whether I'd be able to do advanced stuff remains to be seen, but it's nice to have a vote of confidence in it. What about "missus-friendly"? Would she be able to use it essentially as point and shoot or is it going to be a bit more complex than she's used to?
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: Thursday, December 13, 2012, 15:50:17 »

I've got a 450D also, but you'll struggle to get one with a kit lens for anywhere near £200 though.
You'll probably be looking at a minimum of £300 i'd have thought, but I have no evidence to base that on, just a hunch really.

My missus doesn't really like using it, but if you put it on one of the auto settings it's basically a point and shoot camera.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: Thursday, December 13, 2012, 15:59:41 »

Cheers folks. May wait till after Xmas anyway now and see what falls out of the post-Xmas "Got a new one, sticking the old one on ebay" waves Smiley
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: Thursday, December 13, 2012, 16:03:53 »

Currently one on eBay for £127 (4 hours left)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to: