Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Dr Who  (Read 6030 times)
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Saturday, May 7, 2011, 21:44:46 »

Tonight's was a bit duff though. Honestly, it was like a kids' show!

Thought there was a good story in there somewhere, but they totally fucked up the delivery.

Not sure why they bothered with the pregnancy thing again as they didn't tell anything new. Plus the only timelord thing is a bit fucked up as we know The Master is out there somewhere and he's got a daughter of sorts out there as well that they seem to have forgotten about.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Saturday, May 7, 2011, 21:49:24 »

I thought tonight's was proper shit. Like an RTD episode at it worst.
flammableBen

« Reply #32 on: Saturday, May 7, 2011, 21:57:14 »

I thought tonight's was proper shit. Like an RTD episode at it worst.

Everybody I've talked to didn't like tonight's. I'm starting to think I might have just enjoyed it because it's the first one I've watched as it airs so far this series. That's always more exciting.

There were some serious problems. The pirate the kid cuts towards the start just disappears without mention, why weren't The Doctor, Amy and Rory put in to stasis/lifesupport like the rest of them? Also the CPR scene was ropey as fuck, and there was no need for the pregnancy reminder at the end.

Still, the cowardly pirates scared of the slightest scratch, Amy not knowing and thinking she was brilliant bit at the start was fun. It didn't go too far into a over emotional Father Son thing I was fearful of at the start. Matt Smith and Arthur Darvill continue to completely nail their parts.

It did seem like they'd lost some scenes somewhere though. Ghost-nurse CGI budget ran out? Plain bad editing? Who knows.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Saturday, May 7, 2011, 22:03:55 »

I enjoyed it. The last two episodes were pretty heavy so a bit of fluff is good fun. Certainly one of the weaker episodes since RTD left.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Saturday, May 7, 2011, 22:04:55 »

Still, the cowardly pirates scared of the slightest scratch, Amy not knowing and thinking she was brilliant bit at the start was fun.

That didn't make sense either. Why would you be worried about someone with a sword cutting you when you've got a gun that you can blow their brains out with? Surely the sensible thing would have been to shoot the person with the sword rather than putting your gun down.

The computer doctor thing trying to fix everyone was a good plot, but then you could argue it was a bit similar to the episode that introduced Captain Jack (with the military hospital ship trying to fix everyone). Very similar in that neither knew how to deal with humans. Kind of exactly the same actually.
flammableBen

« Reply #35 on: Saturday, May 7, 2011, 22:06:53 »

I'd put it above Victory of the Daleks (although it had similarities) and the Silurian two-parter of last year.

Not a patch on RTD's low points. Fear Her, Love and Monsters (interesting idea, terribly done), Unicorn and the Wasp, Planet of the Dead were all much worse.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Saturday, May 7, 2011, 22:15:38 »

I really liked Victory of the Daleks, the Silurian double was a bit meh.

flammableBen

« Reply #37 on: Sunday, May 8, 2011, 15:21:25 »

Thought there was a good story in there somewhere, but they totally fucked up the delivery.

Not sure why they bothered with the pregnancy thing again as they didn't tell anything new. Plus the only timelord thing is a bit fucked up as we know The Master is out there somewhere and he's got a daughter of sorts out there as well that they seem to have forgotten about.

spoilers......

funny you bring up the Master and Jenny.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1777781/fullcredits#cast

According to the IMDB page, the actress who played the little girl in the opening two parter returns in the mid season finale "A Good Man Goes to War" but is credited as "Young Lucy Saxon / Cole". The original Lucy Saxon, Alexandra Moen is also in the credits.

There's also a character called Jenny, but not Georgia Moffett, so could just be name coincidence.

e: Oh, apparently last year the master was listed as being in The Pandorica Opens, so it's probably safe to ignore all that.

« Last Edit: Sunday, May 8, 2011, 20:10:07 by flammableBen » Logged
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Saturday, May 14, 2011, 18:21:07 »

So is that the first time he's ever talked to the Tardis? Reckon it won't be the last.

Good episode - always like the ones where they will in the back story or do Time Lord stuff.

Though I'm still wondering how he got away with stealing the Tardis, where he stole it from and all that stuff.
Dazzza

« Reply #39 on: Saturday, May 14, 2011, 20:49:27 »

I enjoyed tonight’s episode.   Even old Rory who is usually nothing more than a waste of space slotted into the plot nicely for a change.  Thoroughly loved the old Tardis junkyard scenes and the subtle nod to all the mechaphiles out there.

Is it me or are they starting to cater much more for an older audience?

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Saturday, May 14, 2011, 20:54:45 »

Is it me or are they starting to cater much more for an older audience?

Sure feels like it.

Good episode.
flammableBen

« Reply #41 on: Saturday, May 14, 2011, 21:12:40 »

It's definitely been on the darker side this year.

I loved the fuck out of that episode apart from Idris being a little too Tim Burtonesque. The charactarisation of the Tardis was well done, but did it have to be from someone who looked exactly like wasshername from the pie shop thingy hair dressers.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Saturday, May 14, 2011, 21:17:05 »

If they went even more adult they could have him adding a vaginal interface as he blatantly wanted to do the Tardis.
flammableBen

« Reply #43 on: Saturday, May 14, 2011, 21:26:22 »

If they went even more adult they could have him adding a vaginal interface as he blatantly wanted to do the Tardis.

I thought that was well done, more flirty in the way you talk to an old car or something, rather than wanting to bend her over and fuck her.

There were some really nice lines between them, like taking him where he needed to go, not where he wanted.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Saturday, May 14, 2011, 21:30:06 »

I thought that was well done, more flirty in the way you talk to an old car or something, rather than wanting to bend her over and fuck her.

There were some really nice lines between them, like taking him where he needed to go, not where he wanted.

Not sure about that. I thought the Tardis was just as up for it as the Doctor.

Right about the interaction between them though, I loved the bit when he said about stealing her and the Tardis said it was the other way round. They played the whole thing as though the Doctor didn't know what he was doing and the Tardis had been in control and looking after him the entire time.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: