Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: If anyone wants to buy a Ipswich Town shirt  (Read 4109 times)
Ben Wah Balls

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Sunday, July 3, 2005, 13:16:09 »

Of course Fjortoft was a legend, one of the finest players to ever play for Swindon, we haven't had that many players who've played at a world cup final.

Fjortoft was one of the best players in the country, Parkin wasn't.

Of all the Swindon players I've seen for me Fjortoft is the most legendary above even Digby, Calderwood, Taylor and Hoddle.

He may not have left if it wasn't for McMahon but it would be ridiculous for a player of Fjortoft's standard to be playing in this league at the peak of his career.

He was the type of player that you'd go and see a game just to see him play, there aren't many of those around.

Fjortoft is the greatest - FACT.
walrus

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Sunday, July 3, 2005, 14:10:55 »

Quote from: "dogs"
Fjortoft a legend, ha alright....

Legends in my eyes are players like Digby, White, John Trollope, Don Rogers.

You forgot Duke surely?

Parkin's not a legend comparable to the list of greats Swindon have had down the years, but he's an extremely bright spark amongst a team of ordinary Joe's to be honest.  He held the team together at times and his goals kept us up and gave us a dream of promotion.  Without him, we could have had an opening day fixture against Oxf*rd next season.

However, he's fucked off now, and Cureton is a much bigger name than Parkin.  In a way, I'm more excited about having Cureton playing next season than Parkin, as he's an unknown quantity, a different player, and proven at this level.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Sunday, July 3, 2005, 15:47:29 »

Quote from: "Ben Wah Balls"
Of course Fjortoft was a legend, one of the finest players to ever play for Swindon, we haven't had that many players who've played at a world cup final.

Fjortoft was one of the best players in the country, Parkin wasn't.

Of all the Swindon players I've seen for me Fjortoft is the most legendary above even Digby, Calderwood, Taylor and Hoddle.

He may not have left if it wasn't for McMahon but it would be ridiculous for a player of Fjortoft's standard to be playing in this league at the peak of his career.

He was the type of player that you'd go and see a game just to see him play, there aren't many of those around.

Fjortoft is the greatest - FACT.

I think you'll find that Mr Fjortoft was on the bench in the WC finals - I should know as I was in D.C at the games ! That was the 'Maggie Thatcher, Sir Winston Churchill...Your boys took one hell of a beating' finals. Should have been England playing there instead, but they decided to fuck it up after I'd bought me tickets !  Sad  Still, the Norwegians liked my Swindon Town shirt.  The only stick that I got for wearing it was by some Spurs and Leeds fans !

Fjortoft was absolute pants until he scored a goal in the last quater of the season. Wouldn't rate him as high as Mayes, Rowlands, Bamber, Quinn or Shearer !

NMH

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Ben Wah Balls

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Sunday, July 3, 2005, 16:53:18 »

Quote from: "Nomoreheroes"

Fjortoft was absolute pants until he scored a goal in the last quater of the season. Wouldn't rate him as high as Mayes, Rowlands, Bamber, Quinn or Shearer !

NMH

No he wasn't. I was a season ticket holder in the premiership and also went to pretty much all of the away games, Fjortoft always looked like he just needed a goal to get going, I rated him from the start and was really worried when it looked like he might return to Norway. He was already my favourite player even before he scored his first goal. Luckily once he got his goal he never looked back and we kept him.

12 goals in 16 premiership games in a team that was bottom of the league for the whole time is the sign of an outstanding player and unlike Andy Johnson very few of them were penalties. He was a much better player than Johnson is and the fact he scored more goals from open play than Johnson demonstrates this.

Then 26 goals in his second season even though he left a couple of months before the end of the season showed again what he was capable of but he was far more than just a goalscorer. He very nearly single handedly took us to the league cup final as well.

I would rate him far far higher than Shearer who although a very good player was not in Fjortoft's class but not many players are.

The day Fjortoft left was my most depressing day as a town fan rivalled only by the day we went into administration for the first time and the day Hoddle left.

He had 71 caps for Norway scoring 20 goals against teams such as Brazil and he also scored the winner in the game that got Norway to the 1994 finals in the first place.

He also scored 5 in his ten games in the European cup - the guy was pure class and how anyone can claim he wasn't a legend for us I don't know.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Sunday, July 3, 2005, 17:49:02 »

Quote from: "Walrus"

However, he's fucked off now, and Cureton is a much bigger name than Parkin.

Not that much bigger, only one letter difference :roll:

BWB, I feel what your saying about Fjortoft is true but what you saying proves he was a talented player, which isnt the same as legend.
Ben Wah Balls

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Sunday, July 3, 2005, 18:29:11 »

Well his legendary status was sealed by his unique goal celebration which has certainly achieved legendary fame. I think he is one of the few players that fully deserves the legend tag.

Whenever anyone asks who I support and I tell them Swindon the one player who's normally mentioned is Fjortoft the striker with the aeroplane celebration who scored all the spectacular goals.
Melksham Red

« Reply #36 on: Sunday, July 3, 2005, 19:32:32 »

Back to the original thread, if I see anyone in an Ipswich shirt in the ground next season I am going to headbutt them. What a bunch of fucking wankers. Fuck off to Portman Road if you feel that strongly you fucking weirdos.
Anonymous

« Reply #37 on: Sunday, July 3, 2005, 22:19:41 »

Me too Mr.Melksham it's getting a bit gay, big fat queers
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Sunday, July 3, 2005, 22:23:14 »

I was depressed for weeks when Fjortoft went. I'll never forgive McMahon for selling him.
Amir

« Reply #39 on: Sunday, July 3, 2005, 22:28:01 »

I'll check and see if he's scored, that's about it.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Monday, July 4, 2005, 02:54:14 »

Quote from: "Tails"
I was depressed for weeks when Fjortoft went. I'll never forgive McMahon for selling him.

I think it was much more galling when Blackburn signed Shearer, which put a complete end to our promotion prospects. It was clearly an attempt to stop us, as Shearer was sold on during the close season for a loss.  Sad

The Fjortoft departure was annoying. The bloke was given license to talk to other clubs, with the proviso that the club wouldn't accept just any offer. What seemed like 5 mins later and one chat he was orf !  :evil:

NMH

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: