Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Leyton Orient v Swindon Town Official Matchday Thread  (Read 94027 times)
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #855 on: Wednesday, February 9, 2011, 12:25:22 »

Bit crazy to start making predictions about what might happen if we end up in League 2.  The squad and management team would be unrecognisable from what it is now, nobody has a bloody clue how they would get on.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #856 on: Wednesday, February 9, 2011, 12:26:33 »

Like PaulD says, we didn't exactly set the world alight that season did we? we had 1 good manager that was replaced by another good manager, this time thats not the case.

Most, if not all, of our best players will leave and then we will be hit by the wage cap limit so will be unable to replace them with players of equal (and certainly not better) ability.

So why are you so optimistic that we would go straight back up again if we were relegated, have you seen signs that we will get a great manager in place, get some great free transfers who will play for peanuts, get the crowds flocking in again as we play silky smooth flowing attacking football?

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #857 on: Wednesday, February 9, 2011, 12:40:21 »

Try reading my post again. I never said anything about it being guaranteed. You even refer to it as a suggestion.
No you didn't say it was guaranteed. But the whole "Well, it might not be so bad in L2 if we go straight back up again" is entirely predicated on that "go straight back up again" bit. Otherwise it's a fucking disaster, potentially leading to a long-term decline. So if it's not guaranteed then the whole idea that "it might work out rather well" is pretty ludicrous. Because it's more likely to be pretty horrific.

We dodged a bullet last time, and then only just. I'd rather not be back in the firing line
woolster

« Reply #858 on: Wednesday, February 9, 2011, 12:57:12 »

afternoon all, i take it fitton has'nt give him his p45 yet No
bullethead

Ignore
« Reply #859 on: Wednesday, February 9, 2011, 12:57:38 »

How much will relegation cost? Will it actually cost anything, or will we make more?

A successful season in League 2 and getting promoted straight back up is likely to mean higher gates and higher income, it definitely had a positive effect on attendances last time round. So maybe it's not all bad?

Was thinking something similar myself, I could only see the crowds dropping away in large numbers if we actually struggled in league 2. Whilst coming straight back up is far from certain, I believe we'd be challenging at the right end and as such get gates similar to what we get now. We might lose a bit in other areas (sponsorship etc) but would relegation really be a financial disaster?
That said, in a spirit of ridiculously blind optimism, we're not going to get relegated so it's all irrelevant anyway!  Cheesy
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #860 on: Wednesday, February 9, 2011, 12:59:48 »

What happened the previous time we were relegated to the bottom division?

We ended up winning promotion to the Premier League just 8 seasons later. I think most people would be happy with that. Which means it was all good the last two times we were relegated to the bottom division.

Next.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, February 9, 2011, 13:01:44 by jonny72 » Logged
Peter Venkman

« Reply #861 on: Wednesday, February 9, 2011, 13:11:16 »

Which means it was all good the last two times we were relegated to the bottom division.

Next.

So you want us relegated to the bottom division?

Swindon being relegated is always good in the end is what you are saying?

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #862 on: Wednesday, February 9, 2011, 13:14:36 »

So you want us relegated to the bottom division?

Swindon being relegated is always good in the end is what you are saying?
I'm convinced by the undeniable logic of jonny's arguments. We should actively aim for relegation. And the best way to achieve this (according to one of jonny's other arguments) is to keep Wilson as manager. Who'd have thought jonny would have ended up being such a firm advocate of Wilson staying on?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #863 on: Wednesday, February 9, 2011, 13:15:02 »

Which it clearly isn't (good) because I remember when we were relagated from the Championship that some thought exactly the same - regroup,  get promoted, crowds will actually rise.

Which is true, if you do actually regroup and get promoted. Which I think is what Johnny was getting at - relagation isn't always a dsaster.

But as I said (I think in the Wilson out thread) Bradford, Rovers, Oxford, etc must all have felt the same when they went down.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #864 on: Wednesday, February 9, 2011, 13:15:12 »

Wilson in!
Peter Venkman

« Reply #865 on: Wednesday, February 9, 2011, 13:15:35 »

I'm convinced by the undeniable logic of jonny's arguments. We should actively aim for relegation. And the best way to achieve this (according to one of jonny's other arguments) is to keep Wilson as manager. Who'd have thought jonny would have ended up being such a firm advocate of Wilson staying on?
Yes

herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #866 on: Wednesday, February 9, 2011, 13:15:42 »

Why anyone would want us to go down is beyond me.

League 2 is shitter than league 1, and league 1 is pretty shit.

It's All Good..............
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #867 on: Wednesday, February 9, 2011, 13:22:57 »

I know some of the comments above were tongue in cheek...but the counter-argument to the regroup theory is that a second relegation to the bottom tier within 5 years will cement the feeling in the minds of our fans and many others that STFC is a lower league club that hops periodically between the bottom two divisions.  Instead of the club that most of us want it to be - and which our support and backing suggest it should be - which is one that, from time to time should be having a shot at promotion to the second rung.

For those of us who started watching the Ardiles/Hoddle era, having us bracketed with Rochdale and Orient still grates a little.  During my first few seasons, we were competing effectively with teams like Ipswich, Sunderland and Wolves on a week to week basis.  I want to see us back there...and not in Division 4.
london_red

Ignore
« Reply #868 on: Wednesday, February 9, 2011, 13:33:02 »

I know some of the comments above were tongue in cheek...but the counter-argument to the regroup theory is that a second relegation to the bottom tier within 5 years will cement the feeling in the minds of our fans and many others that STFC is a lower league club that hops periodically between the bottom two divisions.  Instead of the club that most of us want it to be - and which our support and backing suggest it should be - which is one that, from time to time should be having a shot at promotion to the second rung.

For those of us who started watching the Ardiles/Hoddle era, having us bracketed with Rochdale and Orient still grates a little.  During my first few seasons, we were competing effectively with teams like Ipswich, Sunderland and Wolves on a week to week basis.  I want to see us back there...and not in Division 4.

Agree 100%

[stating the obvious]

Relegation would in no way be a good thing for the club.

[/stating the obvious]
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #869 on: Wednesday, February 9, 2011, 13:36:15 »

I'm not saying that relegation would be good, just that a promotion winning season is always a good thing.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61   Go Up
Print
Jump to: