Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Personal Statements  (Read 1522 times)
Coca Fola

« on: Sunday, September 5, 2010, 19:12:28 »

Anyone got any tips on how to write a good personal statement?
Got a first draft due in tomorrow and I figured it would be a good idea to make a start. Smiley
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, September 5, 2010, 19:15:10 »

Don't oversell yourself.

Whats it for?

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
Coca Fola

« Reply #2 on: Sunday, September 5, 2010, 19:18:04 »

For uni.

Mainly languages. Put a few language courses into my 5, but I've also put a European Studies course and Public Relations one in to. And I'm struggling to think how I include everything in but still give each subject equal coverage.
« Last Edit: Sunday, September 5, 2010, 19:29:25 by Coca Fola » Logged
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, September 5, 2010, 19:20:06 »

Try and write something a little different- when we wrote them, 90% of them were saying the same thing "hard working, enthusistic et al". Try and make it a little less generic, talk about interests in a little more depth rather than just "I played Cricket and worked within a team" or whatever". Remember that some poor sod has to read hundreds of them, and something different will stand out.
manc red

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, September 5, 2010, 19:37:28 »

When i was applying to uni i was going to split my choices between maths and engineering.  Was advised to make my mind up before applying so that then you can taylor your personal statement specifically to what you want to do.

Worked out for me in the end.  Dont write a load of bollocks though, dont make claims you cant substantiate.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #5 on: Sunday, September 5, 2010, 20:20:51 »

I can't even remember what I put on mine. I remember my tutor at college being really happy that I was one of the few who took it seriously though and he did help me out with it a fair bit in the end.

So my advice is get something reasonably decent written down and ask some tutors for some pointers on how to improve it.
Coca Fola

« Reply #6 on: Sunday, September 5, 2010, 21:34:14 »

Cheers for the advice guys. Got some half decent stuff down tonight.
oxonrobin

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, September 5, 2010, 21:57:49 »

I could PM you my personal statement if you wanted. It worked for me, I'm off to Southampton at the end of September. Not sure how relavent the content would be to languages though?!
mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Monday, September 6, 2010, 07:13:36 »

Any cunt that states they were a prefect on a personal statement achieves the goal of being immediately thrown in the bin.
Whits
Morphined Up

« Reply #9 on: Monday, September 6, 2010, 07:25:35 »

I could PM you my personal statement if you wanted. It worked for me, I'm off to Southampton at the end of September.

As manager?

Plays in midfield and his name is Tommy Miller,
signed him from Huddersfield his name is Tommy Miller,
first touch is average but his second is a killer,
heeeeeey Tommy Miller!
Coca Fola

« Reply #10 on: Monday, September 6, 2010, 11:01:38 »

I could PM you my personal statement if you wanted. It worked for me, I'm off to Southampton at the end of September. Not sure how relavent the content would be to languages though?!

Cheers mate that would be great.  Smiley
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Monday, September 6, 2010, 17:05:47 »

I'd PM you mine, but i wrote it drunk, straight into the UCAS system and don't have a copy of it anywhere...

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
Processed Beats

I drop beats from this processed meat.

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Monday, September 6, 2010, 17:23:16 »

Shit, just reminded me. I have mine due in tomorrow for Ciren and i haven't even started it yet.

Whilst i'm here, anyone know any uni's good for journalism?
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Monday, September 6, 2010, 17:28:20 »

Uni of Sussex apparently.

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
Spy

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Monday, September 6, 2010, 22:56:21 »

Mention interests then link them with what the course is. eg "I love to travel and have visited X, Y and Z. I found experiencing different cultures rewarding and this helped fuel my interest in languages."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: