Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 13   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Adver News: TEF Suicide Watch...  (Read 23074 times)

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Monday, July 12, 2010, 12:23:15 »

ljf had some fine games at centre back(alongside greer)and morrison could well step up a level this year.but,neither look like leader material and a team needs someone to call the shots from the back line.we've seen how shambolic our defence can be over the years without a natural leader in there.greer coming in addressed that problem.williams did it in our promotion season.

maybe it's time for cuthbert to take on that role? i have my doubts that he is that type of player to be honest.
what is certain is that somebody will have to take charge as it will only be to the detriment of the defence as a whole if they dont
« Last Edit: Monday, July 12, 2010, 12:25:06 by arriba » Logged
STFC_Gazza

« Reply #46 on: Monday, July 12, 2010, 12:23:22 »

Not replacing Gr££r could be the difference between 5th and 12th.

A loan signing from Man Citys youth team wont cut it either.

Replacing Gr££r and Paynter - with Pericard and Morrison - not good enough, doesnt improve the team in the slightest.

Long way to go before the season starts but at the moment we're going backwards.

Out of the 2 I am more concerned about goals up front than our defence. Morrison and LJF have both shown they can do the job. Can they do it consistantly? Time will tell. I am sure if they dont a replacement will be found. Anyone who thinks Pericard as you say is going to score more than 10-12 goals this season is deluded. I am not convinced Pericard will score 5. I am more concerned about replacing Paynters goals than our CB as I say LJF and Morrison have shown they can do the job. Its weather they can do it all the time. Hopefully we can get a few goals from midfield this season but even then if our midfield cover 10-12 of Paynters goals we need another 20 or so goals from somewhere else especially with our perhaps weaker defence. i almost think that Wilson is crediting Lucas for leading at the back as opposed to Greer.
« Last Edit: Monday, July 12, 2010, 12:25:06 by STFC_Gazza » Logged
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #47 on: Monday, July 12, 2010, 12:24:01 »

We haven't replaced Paynter or Greer with anyone. Morrison and Pericard were here last season. So saying we're weaker is stating the bleeding obvious as we've lost two players from our squad.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Monday, July 12, 2010, 12:26:30 »

Neither, Morrison or LJF have shown they can lead a backline and I dont think they will any time soon.

Why a replacement must be found.
Doore

« Reply #49 on: Monday, July 12, 2010, 12:28:34 »

Yes - club is in the shit, its all terrible, sack the manager, sack the board, its all pointless.

This time last year we didn't seem to have much of a squad.  We're on a tight budget and being run properly.  Here's a thought - why don't we put a bit of trust in Wilson and the board.  They've done us pretty well so far.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Monday, July 12, 2010, 12:32:18 »

Yes - club is in the shit, its all terrible, sack the manager, sack the board, its all pointless.

Yeah because we've all said that Roll Eyes
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Monday, July 12, 2010, 12:35:17 »

Neither, Morrison or LJF have shown they can lead a backline and I dont think they will any time soon.

How can you say that when between them they only played a dozen games for us at CB last season? Added to which all of those games was with a more experienced CB alongside them so there was no need for them to lead the backline.

It's just pointless writing off players based on a handful of games. Wilson seems to know what he is doing so if he's happy with them then I don't see what the problem is. Pericard, O'Brien, LJF and Morrison could all step up next season.
STFC_Gazza

« Reply #52 on: Monday, July 12, 2010, 12:36:32 »

Why a replacement must be found.

Cuthbert can lead the back line, perhaps Morrison with Cuthbert can emerge as the player he was touted to be. As I said before, most Southend fans said Morrison was great there (i know they were shit last year) but with the right player alongside him Sean M may be able to perform as people say he can (that player being Cuthbert). I think the leading the back line job now falls to Lucas and Cuthbert (to state the obvious).  Anyone who comes in will need time to adjust to the team. Totally agree a replacement is ideal but at the min not mandatory.
STFC_Gazza

« Reply #53 on: Monday, July 12, 2010, 12:38:30 »

How can you say that when between them they only played a dozen games for us at CB last season? Added to which all of those games was with a more experienced CB alongside them so there was no need for them to lead the backline.

It's just pointless writing off players based on a handful of games. Wilson seems to know what he is doing so if he's happy with them then I don't see what the problem is. Pericard, O'Brien, LJF and Morrison could all step up next season.

LJF was praised at centre back whenever he needed to deputise there last season. Infact I can probably trawl through many posts and see people say LJF was a lot better at Centre Back.
Doore

« Reply #54 on: Monday, July 12, 2010, 12:38:51 »

Yeah because we've all said that Roll Eyes

I'm making a point through exaggeration Dave.  My point was, two players have gone, and our loan players have returned.  There is still the nucleus of a good squad, and there is quite a while until the beginning of the season.  A year ago there was no sign of Ward, Ferry or Austin, or of the season that Paynter was going to have.  Good signings are not easy to make or everyone would be signing great players.  A bit of patience, realism and trust is needed, and a few on here, including yourself, seem to want to make our current situation out to be some sort of mini-crisis.  It isn't.
flammableBen

« Reply #55 on: Monday, July 12, 2010, 12:39:19 »

gréer, gérer, Gruyère, gr££r

Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #56 on: Monday, July 12, 2010, 12:40:04 »

I see Pericard and Paynter as very similar players. In fact, the way some fans are carrying on about how Pericards [lack of] ability is very similar to Paynter's first season or two.

I really hope the fans realise that with our current squad, Pericard will have to play a significant part of our season next season. Let's not repeat the mistake many made with Paynter by writing him off too soon.

But if Pericard can up his game like most players in the squad have, he'll be a very good player for us.
Doore

« Reply #57 on: Monday, July 12, 2010, 12:41:25 »

I see Pericard and Paynter as very similar players. In fact, the way some fans are carrying on about how Pericards [lack of] ability is very similar to Paynter's first season or two.

I really hope the fans realise that with our current squad, Pericard will have to play a significant part of our season next season. Let's not repeat the mistake many made with Paynter by writing him off too soon.

But if Pericard can up his game like most players in the squad have, he'll be a very good player for us.

Well said.

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Monday, July 12, 2010, 12:44:28 »

so squad players of last year are now expected to step up and replace proven quality?
fucking big ask imo
STFC_Gazza

« Reply #59 on: Monday, July 12, 2010, 12:45:04 »

I hope your right. Not slagging Pericard off, he hasn't done too much for us but there is the argument that he hasn't had the chance bar 10 minutes here of there. I can see Pericard playing a role where he is the target man, gets the ball down for Austin who has run forward and scores a few as well. I certainly hope thats the case. With a full pre-season (which I dont think he had last year), a bit of faith from the fans he may do well. Pericard needs to remember he was in the football wilderness before Carlisle came along and took a punt on him and being the last year of his contract, this is a huge season for him. If he doesnt deliver this year he could very well find himself dropping out of league football, he almost was last year after his release from Stoke. Plenty of incentive for Pericard to do well this year.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 13   Go Up
Print
Jump to: