Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Avoid speeding fines  (Read 3234 times)
nevillew
Tripping the light puntastic

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Friday, June 11, 2010, 15:00:41 »

Why the average?...50 limit or none at all.

Come on trucker - how could they enforce that  ?

Paolo Di Canio, it's Paolo Di Canio
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #16 on: Friday, June 11, 2010, 15:10:37 »

There's nothing wrong with a 70 limit, until you get the really narrow lanes and roadworks.

I just hate the average speed cameras because you end up spending more time looking at the speedo than the road.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Friday, June 11, 2010, 15:12:44 »

Come on trucker - how could they enforce that  ?

All roadworks should be a 50 limit.........why the average shit?

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Friday, June 11, 2010, 15:14:47 »

leefer it records the average speed.nothing to do with anything else average
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #19 on: Friday, June 11, 2010, 15:15:55 »

Because it is supposed to ensure people travel at 50 all the way through the roadworks?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Friday, June 11, 2010, 15:54:28 »

I though the cameras could now get you even if you changed lanes - but obviously a lot of roadworks don't have cameras covering all 3 lanes, so then the lane swap works. Happy to be wrong on that.

Motorways remain the safest classification of road.

Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Friday, June 11, 2010, 16:11:37 »

These SPECS cameras are going to become increasingly prevalent in future.  Traffic volumes are going to rise much faster than road space.  While it may rile those with deep environmental convictions, I think there's a fairly persuasive argument for upgrading routes that suffer consistent congestion; roads such as the A1, A14 and A303 would have been built as motorways in many other countries, but we seem to muddle through.  However, that isn't going to happen any time soon.

Instead, we're going to have to go for the cheaper option of hard-shoulder running (as already trialled on the M42) for some roads.  But I think another big change will be a massive roll out of SPECS cameras across pretty much the whole motorway network.  If you can't add any more lanes (due to environmental and/or cash considerations) you will be able to avoid at least some of the congestion by getting everyone to drive at 60 mph or 70 mph and rigidly enforcing it.  In a few years from now, the experience of motorway driving could be quite different.  Much higher traffic density, but all 3 lanes sat there at 70 mph in cruise control.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #22 on: Friday, June 11, 2010, 16:36:33 »

Apart from lorries, coaches and towing vehicles.

What you're proposing is the same amount of vehicles doing a different speed. How does that solve congestion?
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Friday, June 11, 2010, 16:37:52 »

These SPECS cameras are going to become increasingly prevalent in future.  Traffic volumes are going to rise much faster than road space.  While it may rile those with deep environmental convictions, I think there's a fairly persuasive argument for upgrading routes that suffer consistent congestion; roads such as the A1, A14 and A303 would have been built as motorways in many other countries, but we seem to muddle through.  However, that isn't going to happen any time soon.

Instead, we're going to have to go for the cheaper option of hard-shoulder running (as already trialled on the M42) for some roads.  But I think another big change will be a massive roll out of SPECS cameras across pretty much the whole motorway network.  If you can't add any more lanes (due to environmental and/or cash considerations) you will be able to avoid at least some of the congestion by getting everyone to drive at 60 mph or 70 mph and rigidly enforcing it.  In a few years from now, the experience of motorway driving could be quite different.  Much higher traffic density, but all 3 lanes sat there at 70 mph in cruise control.

What if you own a car that can't reach 60mph?
Langers

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Friday, June 11, 2010, 16:44:55 »

Then your living in the middle ages.
Barry Scott

« Reply #25 on: Friday, June 11, 2010, 16:50:14 »

Apart from lorries, coaches and towing vehicles.

What you're proposing is the same amount of vehicles doing a different speed. How does that solve congestion?

The lower the speed the less space is required. If all 3 lanes travelled at the same speed all the time everything would be sweet as fuck forever and ever.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #26 on: Friday, June 11, 2010, 16:52:58 »

The lower the speed the less space is required. If all 3 lanes travelled at the same speed all the time everything would be sweet as fuck forever and ever.

Maybe the next generation of cars could bend time and space, thus congestion wouldn't be an issue at all.

If we all drove modified DeLorean's all we would need is a launching stretch to get up to 88mph.

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Friday, June 11, 2010, 16:57:32 »

maybe scotty can just beam us all up?
Barry Scott

« Reply #28 on: Friday, June 11, 2010, 17:09:03 »

Maybe the next generation of cars could bend time and space, thus congestion wouldn't be an issue at all.

If we all drove modified DeLorean's all we would need is a launching stretch to get up to 88mph.

Plus, we could travel forward a few million years and leave all our rubbish there. We'd live in times of less pollution and they'd be clever enough to get rid of it. Probably by taking it another few million years into the future or pushing it through a stargate.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Friday, June 11, 2010, 17:42:10 »

If all 3 lanes travelled at the same speed all the time everything would be sweet as fuck forever and ever.

Indeed, hence why the M25 tries to get you to stick in the same lane.

But constant speed could be 90 or 40, I say anyone who won't/can't do a constant 90 during 6am - 9pm shouldn't be allowed on the motorway. Think about it. No more Sunday drivers. No more lorries/busses/horse boxes. No more dithering Doris. The motorways would become less congested and we would all get there a lot quicker.

Sure the A roads would be congested to a stanstill in the day. But I'm at work then so don't care.

There, sorted. Why aren't I minister for transport.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: