Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Fridays brief.  (Read 516 times)
leefer

Ignore
« on: Friday, November 13, 2009, 20:12:33 »

Hi folks..well an 8 dropper today,along day but enjoyable...Highbridge,2 drops in Taunton,2 drops in Glastonbury,2 in Radstock....but the 1 drop in Minehead was the coup de Grace,getting up at 4.30 loaded with doors by 5.30 i was on my way..Highbridge first drop,nothing really to say as its all motorway...good drop off no problems..then onto the A39 for the 25 mile drive onto Minehead,its a very dangerous road as its narrow and you drive through villages but for me its one of my favourite drives in England...thing is in a lorry you see it all before you,your high enough to see life going on around you..in a car you just see hedges or trees,,maybe a snatch now and again of life beyond the hedgegrow...on i went through time stood still villages,Nether Stowey,Fiddington,Holford,all with pubs that say come inside and take a beverage,quaint houses with quaint people who live life in the slower lane...on i go climbing the imperious Quantock Hills,outstanding natural beauty the government call it...like we need to be told,driving past East and West Quantoxhead villages....looking over patchwork quilt fields that lead down to the grey coloured sea...or is it the channell..anyway the fields are knitted together like a patchwork hippy jumper.....the larger trees are holding onto the last remnants of Autumn colour...a crescendo of red orange yellow and brown only broken by vivid green of Evergreen permantcy.
Through Williton with its little collection of shops...no supermarkets there to bore you rigid....soon you stumble on Watchet and Blue Anchor Bay...ware millions of people have taken a holiday.....then nearly into Minehead is Dunster....with its castle,if you could imagine a castle in a fairytale book sat high on a hill surrounded by trees of all colours...Dunster is that.
Now Cass is the forklift driver at Jewsons and he likes to play mind games with the drivers..its his only real goal in life....your meant to stay on the road till i call you in he says...ok Cass i say ten doors for you...its health and safety see drive says Cass conveniently ignoring the old man whos nearly killed him by running him over in his clapped out old 4x4.........jesus shit he mutters and i smile.....Cass parks me up like hes the contoller on the Arc Royal...arms waving about like a bookies runner...his moment of salvation for the day is here and i dont mind playing the bit part.....i play up to him,good job you did there Cass and he gives me a grin...a satisfying grin...on my way eventually and onto Taunton...or Toneton as the locals call it...named after the River Tone that its built around...then Glasto is next built on legend...Glasto is in the mythical area of Avalon...though i must say i didnt see Bryan Ferry hunting for that elusive fox!...Avalon is meant to be ware King Arthur lived and to celebrate the locals built a Tor on top of a hill.....call me old fashioned but the Pyramids are a bit more Grander!...wasnt exactly pushing the boat out putting abit of plain stone on a hill.
Ive got to be honest and say Glastonbury dosnt float my boat...the Town is ordinary and full of old hippies waring the original jumpers they went there in when they first visited in the Halycon days of the sixties....on my way i go and finally finish my chores for a crust in Radstock.....it was a tiring day but full of events to keep the grey matter ocupied....South Wales on Monday.cant wait!!!
alanmayes

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Friday, November 13, 2009, 20:36:36 »

Thanks Leefer,you've had a tough week with the driving conditions.One of the things that i
enjoy most from your driving tales, are the characters that you meet.

Have a great weekend,having been in Somerset today,maybe you should have some cider!

"It's not delusions of grandeur sir,it's intolerance of mediocrity and minimal performances."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: