Pages: 1 ... 1097 1098 1099 [1100] 1101 1102 1103 ... 1221   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Ex Swindon Town Player Where Are They Now Thread  (Read 4328010 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #16485 on: Thursday, March 30, 2023, 09:22:36 »

I'm probably going to be in a huge minority but this fairytale stuff really doesn't bother me at all, I actually find it quite amusing that so many fans are clutching their pearls about it all. I say fair play to them.

One salient point I did notice on twitter (amongst the usual toxic angst) was that whilst huge strides have been made to make Wrexham a community club, their big friendly against Manchester United was being held in San Diego. Now clearly Man U are probably contractually obliged to play pre-season friendlies in far flung places across the world and it's going to be a ego massage to Reynolds and the other fella but surely you've got to look a bit closer to home if possible? (maybe they are doing a beamback to the stadium or something, I dunno)

Agreed, plus if the shoe was on the other foot our fans would just be shouting 'jealousy' at any fans complaining if we were being bankrolled by American millionaires (possibly billionaires) whilst getting shed loads of worldwide publicity building the fan base.

I assume the friendly is in the states 'cos Man U are there pre-season, but then again who knows, it doesn't affect me so not giving it much thought.

Was out on site just outside Wrexham last week first time been there for a few years and the place is fucking buzzing about football.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #16486 on: Thursday, March 30, 2023, 09:32:34 »

Agreed, plus if the shoe was on the other foot our fans would just be shouting 'jealousy' at any fans complaining if we were being bankrolled by American millionaires (possibly billionaires) whilst getting shed loads of worldwide publicity building the fan base.
See my previous post Wink

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #16487 on: Thursday, March 30, 2023, 09:42:07 »

My hope for the season is Wrexham to finish 2nd and then lose in the play offs.

Laugh me cock off.
Lardy Cake

Ignore
« Reply #16488 on: Thursday, March 30, 2023, 09:49:20 »

Dont get me wrong I am very jealous of them, but I fucking hate Wrexham and their massive hooligan element of twats, mind you Boremuff have a large element of twatty thugs too.

I love Ryan Reynolds films but I think he is an arse.

Therefore, I dont like them Smiley
On both occasions I have been to Wrexham I got involved in a punch up with Wrexham fans, the first one was the infamous train special when all hell broke loose on the train going there and also outside the ground when if I remember correctly a burger/chippy type stall got turned over. I share your feelings about Wrexham fans.
Hope your right about Wrexham Audrey !!!
« Last Edit: Thursday, March 30, 2023, 09:51:57 by Lardy Cake » Logged

"Still to find and still to follow. Joy in every hill and hollow. Company in solitude".
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #16489 on: Thursday, March 30, 2023, 09:55:27 »

but I fucking hate Wrexham and their massive hooligan element of twats, mind you Boremuff have a large element of twatty thugs too.

Is there any football club out there who don't have a have a large element of twatty thugs amongst there fan base. As an example look at the number of our fans who are apparently going to 'sort'* Port Vale out next time we play them.

* Albeit I normally assort this sort of hard man nonsense on social media with actually standing behind a line of plod shouting 'come on then' knowing that plod won't let you anywhere near them or vice versa, but you do look 'hard' in front of your mates!  Wink
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #16490 on: Thursday, March 30, 2023, 10:13:38 »

Dont get me wrong I am very jealous of them, but I fucking hate Wrexham and their massive hooligan element of twats, mind you Boremuff have a large element of twatty thugs too.

I love Ryan Reynolds films but I think he is an arse.

Therefore, I dont like them Smiley

mate, you are perfectly entitled to your opinions, I've never been to a game involving Wrexham but assume, a la Newport and Cardiff there are a lot of anti-English fans which probably bolsters their 'hooli' element come matchday. I think a lot of it is probably jealousy but I'm not sure how long term the whole Hollywood ownership thing is going to be and what their 'end game' might be. For now, they are riding the crest of a wave so fair play.

I did quite enjoy the Wrexham documentary, but the bits with Reynolds and the other one did tend to grate a little, more football less Hollywood please!

I probably won't be feeling quite so generous when they shoot up the leagues past us!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #16491 on: Thursday, March 30, 2023, 10:19:00 »

Like you Bob i'm very much in the "Fair play to them" camp as well, always amuses me how often people throw out fairytale in quotation marks as if it's some sort of dig.......if we got taken over by Hollywood stars then yes it probably would be an unbelievable fairytale!!

Proper club with a proper ground, decent history who shouldn't be in the 5th tier.  They have done a lot of good off the field stuff as well such as buying the freehold to ground, an issue which nearly caused the Racecourse to disappear forever a few years back
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #16492 on: Thursday, March 30, 2023, 10:28:21 »

On both occasions I have been to Wrexham I got involved in a punch up with Wrexham fans, the first one was the infamous train special when all hell broke loose on the train going there and also outside the ground when if I remember correctly a burger/chippy type stall got turned over. I share your feelings about Wrexham fans.
Hope your right about Wrexham Audrey !!!
Was there, too. Tbh, the trouble after the game was down to Town fans - not Wrexham.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #16493 on: Thursday, March 30, 2023, 10:35:35 »

Was there, too. Tbh, the trouble after the game was down to Town fans - not Wrexham.
I was at that game but being only 10 I dont remember much, the worst game was in 86 under Macari, there were about 500 of us in a crowd of 1,700 and most of us wearing shirts when after the game we were all chased down the town centre with their fans throwing things at us until we managed to hide in shops, many women and young kids were hurt that day by them too, similar to the Bristol Rovers pub problem a few years back.

Indiscriminately attacking all Town fans, male female young and old.

Trouble totally out of proportion to the attendance. I won't ever forget that, worst trouble I have been in the middle of exclusing Kettering away and Gillingham away, even the Pox didn't attack us like that.

Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #16494 on: Thursday, March 30, 2023, 10:45:41 »

Northampton away in 85/86 was pretty bad pre-match when a Swindon fans got attacked and one was stabbed but that may have been in retaliation for Swindon fans wrecking their pub the season before. Blackburn at home in the FA Cup around 85 was crazy, Swindon fans went mental and remember they turned a transit van over on its side down County Road.

Anyone who went to football regualry in the 70's & 80's will have their own stories on what they witnessed. Often scary and as an away fan travelling by car or train you had to have your wits about you as there were always home fans looking to kick your head in. Scary times and so glad hooliganism in general dosen't exist apart from isolated incidents.

So, give no fucks
adje

Ignore
« Reply #16495 on: Thursday, March 30, 2023, 11:02:46 »

My only issue is for it to be constantly referred to as a "fairytale". Of course I'd love it if it happened to us but fairytale it ain't,millionaire's publicity dream it is. It's not "romantic" in any shape or form like the media would have us believe

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Peter Venkman

« Reply #16496 on: Thursday, March 30, 2023, 11:03:42 »

My only issue is for it to be constantly referred to as a "fairytale". Of course I'd love it if it happened to us but fairytale it ain't,millionaire's publicity dream it is. It's not "romantic" in any shape or form like the media would have us believe
Exactly this.

Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #16497 on: Thursday, March 30, 2023, 11:21:53 »

Give me Notts County with their history all day long.

So, give no fucks
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #16498 on: Thursday, March 30, 2023, 12:54:50 »

I'm probably going to be in a huge minority but this fairytale stuff really doesn't bother me at all, I actually find it quite amusing that so many fans are clutching their pearls about it all. I say fair play to them.

One salient point I did notice on twitter (amongst the usual toxic angst) was that whilst huge strides have been made to make Wrexham a community club, their big friendly against Manchester United was being held in San Diego. Now clearly Man U are probably contractually obliged to play pre-season friendlies in far flung places across the world and it's going to be a ego massage to Reynolds and the other fella but surely you've got to look a bit closer to home if possible? (maybe they are doing a beamback to the stadium or something, I dunno)

I am with you Bob, doesn't bother me at all - fair play to them I say.  It's not like we would turn it down if it happened to us, and in a way it was probably the same way other fans viewed us when Di Canio was in charge and we were spunking money on a new squad every week.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #16499 on: Thursday, March 30, 2023, 13:01:49 »

If we get it spot on with recruitment in the summer then not overly bothered about who else is in League 2.

Both Wrexham & Notts County wouldn't be unwelcome as both sets of fans, particularly the former, are likely to travel in numbers if promoted.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Pages: 1 ... 1097 1098 1099 [1100] 1101 1102 1103 ... 1221   Go Up
Print
Jump to: