Pages: 1 ... 1031 1032 1033 [1034] 1035 1036 1037 ... 1223   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Ex Swindon Town Player Where Are They Now Thread  (Read 4344116 times)
Ticker45

Ignore
« Reply #15495 on: Thursday, August 18, 2022, 15:38:00 »

Talking to my son last night who lives in London who watched the game on iFollow and bemoaned the fact about us not having an out and out central striker. In his opinion we should have gone for Davison as he looked the better all round player compared to Simpson, possibly because of being that bit older and having some higher League experience. I tended to concur but as that is now out of the question would Simpson do a job for us if we could afford him? I am not totally convinced. He was raw when he came into the side, worked hard (still could not jump!) used his strength and was definitely improving his abilities under Garner, but not certain that would be the same under Lindsey.

I feel sorry for the boy, he has basically been kicking his heels now for eight months doing himself and Ipswich Town no favours and with the transfer window closing shortly hope he can come to some arrangement with some club or other.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is unknown but today could be a whole lot better.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #15496 on: Thursday, August 18, 2022, 15:41:29 »

I firmly believe Simpson is a lot better than Davison. Unfortunately Davison would be our best central striker right now though had we kept him.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #15497 on: Thursday, August 18, 2022, 15:53:09 »

I would say that Simpson was a better player than Davison when Simpson left us last season.  I'd also say there were obvious signs of development and that Simpson had not yet reached his ceiling, whereas Davison did not look like a player that was going to be much different a year or two from now vs. when he played for us - sort of like a poor mans Andy Carroll, who burst onto the scene but was never better than when he started really.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #15498 on: Thursday, August 18, 2022, 16:05:40 »

Davison scores goals in league 2 not sure Tomi will

So, give no fucks
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #15499 on: Thursday, August 18, 2022, 16:09:47 »

I'd have Simpson back in a heartbeat which I know some wouldn't.
This 100%.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #15500 on: Thursday, August 18, 2022, 16:22:41 »

Davison nowhere near Simpson, gives so much more and still so much room to improve.
Would be great to have him back.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #15501 on: Thursday, August 18, 2022, 16:25:19 »

I would have liked them both Davison for his work rate and goals ratio and Simpson because there's a cracking player in the making and has the ability to score goals out of nothing.

So, give no fucks
Pericardinho

Ignore
« Reply #15502 on: Thursday, August 18, 2022, 16:27:03 »

I wasn't a fan of the Simpson loan last season. It's nothing against him, I just get annoyed when we do all the work in developing somebody, get them EFL experience and then the parent club fuck us over. Then we are in the same boat again 6 months later. It's understandable given our situation last summer but hopefully something we don't repeat again. Simpson probably wouldn't have got another league 2 club last summer, and if he did, it would've been to compete with 2-3 other strikers at another club. Ipswich hit the jackpot sending him to us. Virtually guaranteed game time in a system where the ball largely stays on the floor and lots of service.

I know you're all thinking all loans are like that, but Simpson was especially raw. Only 4-5 Pro games and hadn't been developed from a Premier League academy. Strong boy but a bit of a friendly giant. I doubt it's very often a league 2 side loan a 19 year old from a League 1 side.

It would be different if we purchased him because he's then our asset. I can be more patient every time his touch evades him or he gets dominated in the air because he's OURS and he could improve for US and not for Ipswich. I still don't think he's the answer to all our problems and people are remembering him to be a lot better than he actually was, but it's undeniable the potential he has.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #15503 on: Thursday, August 18, 2022, 16:29:17 »

I don't think you're going to get much better than Simpson in league 2

So, give no fucks
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #15504 on: Friday, August 19, 2022, 08:03:24 »

Simpson scored 11, Davison scored 9 Smiley

Woops. I could have sworn 'Davison scored more' was one of the yardsticks people were using to beat us with about him being a better player than Simpson.

Davison definitely gave it his all, his work rate was fantastic last season, but his first touch for a striker was suspect. Simpson for me was the better foil for McKirdy.

This is all moot as no way could we afford him.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #15505 on: Friday, August 19, 2022, 08:19:45 »

Woops. I could have sworn 'Davison scored more' was one of the yardsticks people were using to beat us with about him being a better player than Simpson.

Davison definitely gave it his all, his work rate was fantastic last season, but his first touch for a striker was suspect. Simpson for me was the better foil for McKirdy.

This is all moot as no way could we afford him.
I’m not so sure. He’s got to go somewhere in this window or he’ll leave for nowt in 12 months. The closer it gets to the window shutting the better the chance of him leaving. I doubt they’d want to loan him to a rival L1 side, so a loan to a L2 side with an option/requirement to buy at the end of the loan could be a way forward.

As for a straight purchase, a club like Luton may fork out to buy and then loan out with a view to him progressing.

Biggest problem with Simpson atm is he’s probably nowhere near fit.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #15506 on: Friday, August 19, 2022, 08:59:49 »

I think "the stick" which seems to be the in word was that Davison's goals per games return was better (9/23) than Simpson's (11/30). Not saying one player was better than the other btw

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #15507 on: Friday, August 19, 2022, 09:54:54 »

Simpson will go to Charlton on deadline day, thats obvious.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #15508 on: Friday, August 19, 2022, 10:42:12 »

I think "the stick" which seems to be the in word was that Davison's goals per games return was better (9/23) than Simpson's (11/30). Not saying one player was better than the other btw
The actual match stats are very very close in almost every category, the only one thats very different is crosses with Simpson completing 10 and Davison just 1.

Its actually very very close statistically, but for me (I know its totally irrelivant anyway) but Simpson being 2 and a half years younger would for me give him the edge.

Goals scored.
Simpson scored 11 from 30 games.
Davison scored 9 from 23 games.

Average mins per goal
Simpson scored 1 goal for every 227 mins he was on the pitch.
Davison scored 1 goal for every 219 mins he was on the pitch.

Matches scored in
Simpson scored in 10 games.
Davison scored in 7 games.

Assists
Simpson got 3 assists.
Davison got 2 assists.

Crosses
Simpson 10
Davison 1

Penalties
Simpson took 0 penalties.
Davison took 1 penalty and missed 1.

Bookings
Simpson 2 yellow cards.
Davison 4 yellow cards.

Shots total/On Target total
Simpson 50/23
Davison 48/20

Shots per game
Simpson 2.1
Davison 2.0

Fouls against
Simpson 37
Davison 43

Fouls won
Simpson 15
Davison 18

Tackles won
Simpson 7
Davison 9

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
kaufman

« Reply #15509 on: Friday, August 19, 2022, 11:26:59 »

The actual match stats are very very close in almost every category, the only one thats very different is crosses with Simpson completing 10 and Davison just 1.

Its actually very very close statistically, but for me (I know its totally irrelivant anyway) but Simpson being 2 and a half years younger would for me give him the edge.

Goals scored.
Simpson scored 11 from 30 games.
Davison scored 9 from 23 games.

Average mins per goal
Simpson scored 1 goal for every 227 mins he was on the pitch.
Davison scored 1 goal for every 219 mins he was on the pitch.

Matches scored in
Simpson scored in 10 games.
Davison scored in 7 games.

Assists
Simpson got 3 assists.
Davison got 2 assists.

Crosses
Simpson 10
Davison 1

Penalties
Simpson took 0 penalties.
Davison took 1 penalty and missed 1.

Bookings
Simpson 2 yellow cards.
Davison 4 yellow cards.

Shots total/On Target total
Simpson 50/23
Davison 48/20

Shots per game
Simpson 2.1
Davison 2.0

Fouls against
Simpson 37
Davison 43

Fouls won
Simpson 15
Davison 18

Tackles won
Simpson 7
Davison 9

This wonderful. I would have absolutely loved to see the stats for "headers"

My guess would be

Simpson 0
Davison 3

Like you, I'd love Simpson to be here but not sure why we didn't try for Davison either...maybe we did?
Pages: 1 ... 1031 1032 1033 [1034] 1035 1036 1037 ... 1223   Go Up
Print
Jump to: