Pages: 1 ... 937 938 939 [940] 941 942 943 ... 1221   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Ex Swindon Town Player Where Are They Now Thread  (Read 4328640 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #14085 on: Tuesday, November 30, 2021, 14:06:05 »

So far, thought had players to stay up, difficult behind the scenes, hinted that perhaps should have stepped back when parents died, seem to dislike young players for being 'soft as shite'.

Cheers.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #14086 on: Tuesday, November 30, 2021, 14:12:34 »

It was basically an hour long after dinner speech, albeit the bit at the end when he spoke about playing (well not playing actually) under Brian Clough was quite amusing in that it would appear that John Sheridan the player was a lot like the players John Sheridan the manager doesn't like.
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #14087 on: Tuesday, November 30, 2021, 14:16:36 »

That interview makes it very clear why he failed with us, and would do so anywhere now. He admits to knowing one way of managing. To be hard and aggressive. If the player fails to respond, it’s their fault, not his. He thinks players now are “soft as shite” - with no apparent willingness to adapt to get the best out of anyone, on the basis it has worked with a certain type of player. One laughable extract was that he was quiet in the week, but would be vocal at weekends, “when it mattered”. Clearly, he’s not one for preparing a team then! Lots of references (by himself) to how good he was as a player. It is a bit of a brains trust love in, between Jon Parkin, him and the other muppets. He can’t string a sentence together without swearing. A basic approach, for a basic man, with an even more basic grasp on how to manage people in any walk of life. This is Part I, so I assume there is a Part II focussing on his managerial career more, to come. It’s well worth a listen, so you can invert everything he says as a guide to success in any walk of life.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, November 30, 2021, 14:26:09 by Frigby Daser » Logged
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #14088 on: Tuesday, November 30, 2021, 14:23:52 »

Will probably bite the bullet & give it a listen if still available later this week.
Part 1 implies that there is more to come. Eek

This has led me to wondering what Wellens must be thinking now.
Looks to have ended up just kicking the unwanted relegation struggle can a bit further down the road.
I'm convinced, after some thought, that had he been prepared to apply himself properly, without all of the weaselly shite at the end, then he would have been perfectly capable of keeping us up last season.
The credit gained from one, albeit curtailed, promotion season must be starting to run a bit low.
Have to admire the patience of the Doncaster board as well.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #14089 on: Tuesday, November 30, 2021, 14:59:11 »

As it ploughs on it becomes much more about anecdotes around his playing career, which would actually be quite fun to listen to if it were not set against the context of his recent management exploits and general thoughts on life, love and the universe.

My early stereotype is actually pretty spot on - it's a story of how a young kid with no brains is good at football, provides little focus to his life other than being good at football.  As he was very good at football, he seems completely oblivious to anything other than the need to shout and moan at other players (when he was one) or his team (when he was a Manager) to just try harder.  He puts every failure of a player down to not being hard enough, not trying enough, not doing his job.  The only way he knows to handle that is to shout at them (I assume because his own thought process is that when he was shouted at it was indeed because he wasn't trying hard enough).

Any success he had as a Manager was by luck.

What I do find interesting is the juxtaposition of him versus Garner.  If football management is a spectrum, they are at either ends, to a fault a I think.  He references Ferguson a lot, to justify the shouting without seeming to have any real insight into how that Manager worked.

I remember once, in the 90's in the Brunel, seeing Steve Cowe on a night out with some other players.  I saw him rolling a pint glass up and down the back of his leg, as if to show off his skills and thinking, what a fucking idiot.  Blessed with enough talent to make a good living playing a sport most would do for free and risking it like that.  Sheridan regales us with a story of breaking his leg, which has just healed, by jumping over a flower bed when he should still be in plaster - similar, utterly unprofessional and seems to have learned nothing about the game he played, all because he had talent.  Good player, questionable person, fucking imbecile as a Manager.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, November 30, 2021, 15:05:18 by RobertT » Logged
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #14090 on: Tuesday, November 30, 2021, 17:30:44 »

As it ploughs on it becomes much more about anecdotes around his playing career, which would actually be quite fun to listen to if it were not set against the context of his recent management exploits and general thoughts on life, love and the universe.

My early stereotype is actually pretty spot on - it's a story of how a young kid with no brains is good at football, provides little focus to his life other than being good at football.  As he was very good at football, he seems completely oblivious to anything other than the need to shout and moan at other players (when he was one) or his team (when he was a Manager) to just try harder.  He puts every failure of a player down to not being hard enough, not trying enough, not doing his job.  The only way he knows to handle that is to shout at them (I assume because his own thought process is that when he was shouted at it was indeed because he wasn't trying hard enough).

Any success he had as a Manager was by luck.

What I do find interesting is the juxtaposition of him versus Garner.  If football management is a spectrum, they are at either ends, to a fault a I think.  He references Ferguson a lot, to justify the shouting without seeming to have any real insight into how that Manager worked.

I remember once, in the 90's in the Brunel, seeing Steve Cowe on a night out with some other players.  I saw him rolling a pint glass up and down the back of his leg, as if to show off his skills and thinking, what a fucking idiot.  Blessed with enough talent to make a good living playing a sport most would do for free and risking it like that.  Sheridan regales us with a story of breaking his leg, which has just healed, by jumping over a flower bed when he should still be in plaster - similar, utterly unprofessional and seems to have learned nothing about the game he played, all because he had talent.  Good player, questionable person, fucking imbecile as a Manager.
Harsh to compare the 2 managers when one is only around 50 games into his career
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #14091 on: Tuesday, November 30, 2021, 18:02:46 »

He can go a fuck himself the incompetent piece of shit.
Shit Manager and equally shit person. Listening to him would be torture and hope I never have to hear one word from him again.
bigbobjoylove

Ignore
« Reply #14092 on: Tuesday, November 30, 2021, 18:22:52 »

Interview with Doughty here - https://www.swlondoner.co.uk/sport/29112021-michael-doughty-from-winning-leagues-to-saving-trees/
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #14093 on: Tuesday, November 30, 2021, 18:44:14 »

He can go a fuck himself the incompetent piece of shit.
Shit Manager and equally shit person. Listening to him would be torture and hope I never have to hear one word from him again.

Ditto.

Except I can forgive the being a "shit manager" part.  

A shame   As his playing performances had made me question my dislike of dirty Leeds .
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #14094 on: Tuesday, November 30, 2021, 18:52:30 »

Harsh to compare the 2 managers when one is only around 50 games into his career

Not comparing achievements, just their approach.  Garner is clearly on the intellectual side of Management, focusing heavily on player coaching and development.  From the way Sheridan was talking, it backs up the view of someone not that interested in being on the training pitch (in fact, he seemed to be not that keen on it when he was player).  They seem the polar opposite to me.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #14095 on: Wednesday, December 1, 2021, 09:06:11 »

Listened to a couple of mins before typing, which is probably not long enough to form a well structured opinion, but why not....

...the guy is a typical arrogant prick of an ex-footballer (stereotype alert) from the 80's/90's who likely paid fuck all attention at school because he was a bit good with the ball at feet.  Paid fuck all attention during his career to anything other than the fact he was a bit good with the ball at his feet, then thinks he is owed a profession once he can no longer keep up with the ball at his feet.  I'll wager now that he offer zero insight into the  world of football management of any consequence during this "interview" other than chucking some random funny stories about how young players are not as good as he was and fucked up while he was their Manager.

He is basically the sort that should have settled for running a pub and living out the rest f his years having regular punters blow smoke up his arse until he popped his clogs or went bankrupt.

Other than that, nice fella.  To be fair to him, that is all quite nasty, but he avoids sympathy by deciding to keep rattling on via broadcast and print media.  I don't wish ill on anyone, but he I hope he never gets another job in football.  Earn a living elsewhere.

Think you've summed it up quite well. In some ways I reckon over a few drinks he might be a bit of a laugh, dry sense of humour etc. However it's totally clear that the way he was managed when he was a player is his way of managing, basically shout loudly and if that doesn't get the desired effect, shout louder. He also said that he is unable to change his ways to managing in the way desired for the modern footballer so he is now basically on the scrap heap.

And yes, Jon Parkin is a total tit.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #14096 on: Wednesday, December 1, 2021, 09:13:24 »

He also said that he is unable to change his ways to managing in the way desired for the modern footballer so he is now basically on the scrap heap.

Think anyone of us could have told him that at anytime during his managerial career. 

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #14097 on: Wednesday, December 1, 2021, 09:15:21 »

Think you've summed it up quite well. In some ways I reckon over a few drinks he might be a bit of a laugh, dry sense of humour etc. However it's totally clear that the way he was managed when he was a player is his way of managing, basically shout loudly and if that doesn't get the desired effect, shout louder. He also said that he is unable to change his ways to managing in the way desired for the modern footballer so he is now basically on the scrap heap.

And yes, Jon Parkin is a total tit.

Sheridan appears to be the living embodiment of the Seymour Skinner "Am I out of touch? No, it's the children who are wrong" meme.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #14098 on: Wednesday, December 1, 2021, 09:37:29 »

Brett, Brett, Brett, Brett......

THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #14099 on: Wednesday, December 1, 2021, 10:04:16 »

Enough discussion on that incompetent twat...

We could'nt even get in to drive him out.... terrible...

Clems Army!
Pages: 1 ... 937 938 939 [940] 941 942 943 ... 1221   Go Up
Print
Jump to: