Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: West Country, la la la  (Read 5088 times)
Spy

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Saturday, May 30, 2009, 12:54:36 »

Thats true. I went to Millwall and Bournemouth the season before and didn't hear it. Used to hear it at home games too.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Saturday, May 30, 2009, 12:58:28 »

Thats true. I went to Millwall and Bournemouth the season before and didn't hear it. Used to hear it at home games too.
Maybe it's your hearing that's the problem? Have you tried having your ears syringed? Smiley
Spy

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Saturday, May 30, 2009, 13:01:05 »

To be fair my hearing isn't great due to years of going out raving right next to big sound systems. But I still think think these chants don't get sung very often at home games. Maybe its due to where I stand in the ground. You def don't get the whole town end singing them or surely I'd notice.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #18 on: Saturday, May 30, 2009, 15:06:36 »

We've definitely sung we are the boys of the west country at home. Most of last season there was hardly any chanting though, but towards the end the Town End was getting its mojo back.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Saturday, May 30, 2009, 15:11:48 »

All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, Swindon rule the west country. And Oxford rule Fuck all, Fuck all, Fuck all, Fuck all.

That's still sung.
Spy

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Saturday, May 30, 2009, 15:25:57 »

All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, Swindon rule the west country. And Oxford rule Fuck all, Fuck all, Fuck all, Fuck all.

That's still sung.

See it must be where I sit cos I haven't heard that one for ages either. I'd pretty much forgotten about it til now. Maybe I've heard it once in recent times if at all.

I sit in the town end at the south stand end.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Saturday, May 30, 2009, 17:25:58 »

Born and bred in Wiltshire, and proud to call myself a West Countryman!  Fucking South Midlands! Roll Eyes
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Saturday, May 30, 2009, 17:33:12 »

I had a friend from Devon once who thought it was plain daft that I could think Swindon was in the West Country.  From the eyes of someone from down there, Swindon is well over half way to London.

I've always thought Swindon was West Country, but it's in no man's land for a lot of other people.  Rather like Peterborough, for example...not really in the East Midlands, not really in East Anglia.  Just nowhere.
Rich Pullen

« Reply #23 on: Saturday, May 30, 2009, 17:42:44 »

I'm West Wiltshireman which I think is undisputed West Country territory. Wiltshire is the 'Gateway of the West Country' Cheesy
« Last Edit: Sunday, May 31, 2009, 10:48:47 by Rich Pullen » Logged
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #24 on: Saturday, May 30, 2009, 20:25:50 »

I had a friend from Devon once who thought it was plain daft that I could think Swindon was in the West Country.  From the eyes of someone from down there, Swindon is well over half way to London.

We're nearer to the western border of England than London or the middle of the country.

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Saturday, May 30, 2009, 20:41:01 »

on my trucking travels i've had my swindon accent commented on numerous times.
i was even nicknamed ooh arrrrr at one depot in jest.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Saturday, May 30, 2009, 21:14:56 »

There used to be alot of us in the 80s who used to venture to the County Ground from the Stroud and Gloucester area. As time went by this group dwindled due to multiple factors including growing up and getting married and also the draw of rugby at Gloucester. Not sure whether this contributed to the dwindling chants or not, but it may be a partial explanation.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Saturday, May 30, 2009, 21:23:10 »

Also, Gloucester City got promoted to the Conference South this year.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Saturday, May 30, 2009, 21:39:30 »

on my trucking travels i've had my swindon accent commented on numerous times.
i was even nicknamed ooh arrrrr at one depot in jest.

Its weird..you dont really know how strong your accent is untiill you hear it on a recording.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #29 on: Saturday, May 30, 2009, 22:47:37 »

Don't really give a fuck how you'd describe where we are. I'm Swindon, I'm Wiltshire, I'm English - end of. All the rest is bollox.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: