Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Big Night at the bottom of League 1  (Read 14310 times)
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: Wednesday, April 22, 2009, 15:08:12 »

I really don't think you guys will go down even if you don't pick up another point. Carlisle and Crewe both have a worse goal difference and I can't see either picking up more than 3 points from their final 2 games.

Obviously your final game at Peterborough looks tough but I reckon you'll probably get a draw off us on Saturday as we never seem to win at your place regardless how well we play. We are very hit and miss at the moment anyway; superb against Millwall on Saturday and then very poor last night against Brighton.

I think you have a good manager now in Danny Wilson and there is every possibility that both Rovers and Swindon could be challenging at the top end of league 1 this time next year.

Firstly, you seem too normal to be a gashead. You can probably imagine the usual type we get on here before the games.

Carlisle and Crewe I think will both pick up 3 points this weekend, so its vital we get something.
GasAttacK

« Reply #151 on: Wednesday, April 22, 2009, 15:38:44 »

Cheltenham have only lost 1 of their last 9 games so I'm expecting them to take at least a point of Carlisle if not all 3. Carlisle then have a tough looking home match against Millwall from which I think they might manage a point. I'd predict they'll take 2 points from their final 2 games.

Crewe haven't won in 8 games so although Stockport are also in very poor form I think it has draw written all over it and I don't see them getting anything off Leicester.

I guess if we were in your position I'd be fearing the worst because you never know in football but I honestly can't see the teams below you getting to 50 points which would leave you safe even if you lost your final 2 games.

It's a pity we couldn't have done you a favour by beating Brighton last night. I was hoping we could send them down to league 2 but it looks like I'll have to dig out my binoculars for another trip to the Withdean next season.

The hardest thing both clubs face this summer is keeping hold of Lambert and Cox. Personally I don't expect Lambert to be lining up in the blue and white quarters when we kick off next season. Any chance Cox will stay with you guys?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: Wednesday, April 22, 2009, 15:44:24 »

Any chance Cox will stay with you guys?

IMHO 2 chance, slim and none. And slim just left town.
axs
naaarrrrrppppp

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: Wednesday, April 22, 2009, 16:10:54 »

I'm scared. This wovers guy appears to be normal.

I need a drink.

As far as relegation goes, I'm bricking it to be honest. Can't see us getting any more points so it's just a lottery.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: Wednesday, April 22, 2009, 16:13:16 »

Lambert and Cox will be gone in the summer.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Lumps

« Reply #155 on: Wednesday, April 22, 2009, 16:14:53 »

IMHO 2 chance, slim and none. And slim just left town.

The only chance would require a load of factors to all line up perfectly:

We stay up
We offer him more money
He's happy with DW's management and style of play
The CM convince him we'll invest to have a real crack at promotion next season
No bid comes in for him that is both big enough bid to tempt the board and matches Cox's requirements of a decent club in a higher standard of football but with a damn good chance of playing every week.

That's probably about 3 too many ducks to get in a row, but it might happen.

Of the interest reported so far I guess firm bids from W.Brom or Leicester of over £1.5m would see him on his way. The kid seems too sensible to take a punt on QPR with their mental sack the manager and refresh the team 3 times a season approach to Championship football though.
Phil_S

Who changed my Avatar ?!

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: Thursday, April 23, 2009, 08:33:40 »

I think (hope) that it'll take more than 1.5 million to get him.
With 25% to Reading & the current cashflow situation, we ideally want to clear enough to put some decent money in replacing him & most of the current squad too. The worrying thing is that if we do sell him the prices will go up for replacements straight away.

Now I CAN see Wovers getting +2.5 milkion for Lambert. Historically they always seem to get good fees for their strikers whereas we have always let them go for peanuts.

The one redeeming thing now is that our new board could if they wanted, get the replacement in first before we sell.

« Last Edit: Thursday, April 23, 2009, 08:37:47 by Phil_S » Logged

From the Dark Side
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: Thursday, April 23, 2009, 08:36:32 »

Are you sure its 25%? Im sure I read 50%..

/
W56196272
Phil_S

Who changed my Avatar ?!

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: Thursday, April 23, 2009, 08:38:36 »

Are you sure its 25%? Im sure I read 50%..

No, I'm not sure at all. If it's 50% adds weight to my point.

From the Dark Side
GasAttacK

« Reply #159 on: Thursday, April 23, 2009, 09:26:28 »

I think (hope) that it'll take more than 1.5 million to get him.
With 25% to Reading & the current cashflow situation, we ideally want to clear enough to put some decent money in replacing him & most of the current squad too. The worrying thing is that if we do sell him the prices will go up for replacements straight away.

Now I CAN see Wovers getting +2.5 milkion for Lambert. Historically they always seem to get good fees for their strikers whereas we have always let them go for peanuts.

The one redeeming thing now is that our new board could if they wanted, get the replacement in first before we sell.

I think our board would bite the hand off any club offering 2.5 million. In truth I don't see us getting more than 1.25 million as Lambo is already 27 and does lack pace.

Cox on the other hand is only 22 and has his whole career ahead of him. If I was a Swindon fan I'd be disappointed if he left for less than 1.5 million.

I guess both are likely to leave in the summer and our chances next season will depend largely on how much of that money is given to the management to find a replacement and strengthen the team. Knowing our board Trollope will probably get about 15-20%.

It's a little worrying that both clubs haven't done great this season even with these 2 top strikers. Any replacement is not going to be up to their level so the rest of the squad will need to be improved to compensate.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: Thursday, April 23, 2009, 09:31:12 »

We haven't done that well, as we have had basically the same squad since L2 with a few freebies and untested no names added. Most are out of contract this summer, which gives us chance to clear the decks and start next season with a decent nucleus to build on. IF we stay up (i think we will) I doubt if we will be bothering the top of the league next year, but at least there will be some hope for the following season, particularly with some supposedly useful youngsters almost ready to step up and bed in next season.
Phil_S

Who changed my Avatar ?!

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: Thursday, April 23, 2009, 09:31:40 »

It's a little worrying that both clubs haven't done great this season even with these 2 top strikers. Any replacement is not going to be up to their level so the rest of the squad will need to be improved to compensate.

Exactly my point.

From the Dark Side
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: