Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: King swoops for Man Utd's Tierney  (Read 3037 times)
Dazzza

« on: Thursday, May 19, 2005, 11:29:48 »

From todays adver....

EXCLUSIVE: ANDY King is in talks to try and bring Manchester United’s Paul Tierney to the County Ground.

The Town boss has told the Evening Advertiser that the Old Trafford left-back, has already been sounded out about the move and that a former Wiltshire loanee is doing his bit to help seal the deal.

King said: “Whether it goes ahead depends to a degree on the decisions of the players here who have yet to decide on their offers but Tierney of Manchester United knows of my interest.

“The boy has since spoken to my contact at Old Trafford Ricky Spragia but he also knows James Milner very well.

“I understand young Milner has spoken in very good terms about us so hopefully that will stand us in good stead.”

Tierney, a former Republic of Ireland Under 21 international, spent the latter stages of 2004-5 on loan at Bradford City and made 14 starts following his December switch to Valley Parade

Have herd he is fairly good but on reputation rather than seeing him play.

Not much giving away if this is a loan or a permanent move, but my moneys on the latter.  

Looks a good versitile young player and with the nucleus of young talent at the club plus Shakey and Platt there may some hope for the long term future.

I still think that we are in desperate need of some serious grit and experience and then there is the small matter of Parkin's replacement.  That said while a bit of a risk with the calibre of the youngsters coming in it takes less of the pressure off if some of the out of contract players walk.

On the subject of Parkin yesterday I herd a strong rumour that the club are demanding a million no less.  More of a smoke screen to ensure maximum bids but if the actual quoted figure of 450k is true the it's a lot better than the 250 floating around a few weeks back.

DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, May 19, 2005, 11:31:53 »

do we need another left wing back type player?!

We have Nicholas and possibly Duke....

Shakes is a right winger and Platt is a centre half....still no tough tackling midfielder to talk of...
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, May 19, 2005, 11:34:55 »

Duke is going i think
Piemonte

« Reply #3 on: Thursday, May 19, 2005, 11:39:09 »

....and hes generally shite at left back
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, May 19, 2005, 11:42:05 »

Quote from: "Piemonte"
....and hes generally shite at left back

Wouldnt go that far......he had a good season post october....
Piemonte

« Reply #5 on: Thursday, May 19, 2005, 11:44:40 »

Not really. He was good for a couple of months post october then went back to being rubbish again
Dazzza

« Reply #6 on: Thursday, May 19, 2005, 11:45:11 »

I have a sneaky  Duke will be off.  This will be the 2nd sucessive  big drop in contracts he has been offered and he was borderline on going last summer.  

Think this lad Tierney can also play at RB so King will have him up front before long.

I am guessing that all three youngsters are coming in to challenge and provide depth rather than be pencilled in as immediate first team starters.  Transfer Window shenanigans will mean we have to have more cover then we have had in recent seasons.

Piemonte

« Reply #7 on: Thursday, May 19, 2005, 11:45:38 »

Anyway, back onto Tierney - sounds like a good signing if we can get him, be it on loan or permanantly
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, May 19, 2005, 11:49:15 »

Quote from: "Piemonte"
Not really. He was good for a couple of months post october then went back to being rubbish again

Though Dukes best spell was when he was linking up with Holmes....
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, May 19, 2005, 11:53:36 »

Tierney sounds good! good signing if we can pull it off.
magicroundabout
Fanta Pants

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, May 19, 2005, 12:25:21 »

aren't we still after Holmes??
I can't see why we wont get him on a season long loan. Not as though he has been a 1st team regular at Derby

le god cuervo

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, May 19, 2005, 12:26:41 »

i had tierney on loan on footy manager as cover for nicholas - he was pretty good - not better though.

seems nicho will be on his way out soon if king is looking at someone else
Piemonte

« Reply #12 on: Thursday, May 19, 2005, 12:41:49 »

Quote from: "magicroundabout"

aren't we still after Holmes??
I can't see why we wont get him on a season long loan. Not as though he has been a 1st team regular at Derby

Fingers crossed Derby will go up. Not looking especially likley after the first leg, and some of Derbys better players being injured.

Is the 2nd leg tonight anyone? might watch it if it is
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, May 19, 2005, 13:39:03 »

Quote from: "le god cuervo"
i had tierney on loan on footy manager as cover for nicholas - he was pretty good - not better though.

He was ace as a wingback in my world conquering Swindon team on CM01/02 :advercool:

Anyway, sounds as if Nicholas or Duke are on their way out if he's after this lad.
Ben Wah Balls

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, May 19, 2005, 13:45:40 »

Sounds like Duke's leaving but I think Nicholas will stay, one left back is not really enough and we haven't signed him yet.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: