Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 1st wage packet  (Read 9109 times)
axs
naaarrrrrppppp

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, January 14, 2009, 19:22:50 »

First proper job I had was for £2.72 an hour, that'd be 100 quid a week if it'd been full time.

I paid £100 a month rent then, so about 25%, but that included all bills and food.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, January 14, 2009, 19:27:11 »

http://freepages.family.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~oxladefamilyhistory/occup_printers_booksellers.html

Not sure if they are still in Windsor,i like tracing old firms....and they were old,origanally Oxlade,the Berkshire dialect made it sound like Oxley...very interesting(for me anyway Dell!)
pumbaa
Ha, no cunt in my title anymore. Oh.....

Fartmeister

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, January 14, 2009, 19:44:56 »

£5.20. For a four hour shift at Boots the Chemists..........
dell boy

« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, January 14, 2009, 19:47:51 »

http://freepages.family.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~oxladefamilyhistory/occup_printers_booksellers.html

Not sure if they are still in Windsor,i like tracing old firms....and they were old,origanally Oxlade,the Berkshire dialect made it sound like Oxley...very interesting(for me anyway Dell!)

They closed in 1980ish, and at the time the longest running local newspaper in the country without ever missing a weekly publication over 200 years.
Jack Reader was the owner at the time and he married the last remaining Oxley and the union tried to hold him to ransom and wanted an extra 5p an hour, he said he wouldn't pay it and if they striked, which they did, and he sold it lock-stock and barrell, they thought he was joking but he wasn't and sold the land for over £1m probably about £50m in todays market.
I had left at that time and the group was taken over by a huge publishers who worked out of Slough, cant remember the name of the organisation. The paper is still published today under the same name of Windsor & Eton Express.
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, January 14, 2009, 19:49:57 »

£12 a week for delivering the Adver, plus tips at Xmas Smiley

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, January 14, 2009, 19:51:32 »

Xmas tips as a paperboy were immense. I could easily clear £200 in tips at Xmas. For a couple of years I had a morning & afternoon round which brought in around £300-£400 in tips. Unless the theiving milkman or postman got there first.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, January 14, 2009, 19:51:49 »

Can vaguely remember that....good to meet you last night by the way.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, January 14, 2009, 19:53:27 »

Xmas tips as a paperboy were immense. I could easily clear £200 in tips at Xmas. For a couple of years I had a morning & afternoon round which brought in around £300-£400 in tips. Unless the theiving milkman or postman got there first.

And a free peek at Sam Fox to Samdy no doubt...my fave was Corrine Russell.
dell boy

« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, January 14, 2009, 20:23:38 »

Can vaguely remember that....good to meet you last night by the way.

Bit confused by that, who did you meet?
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, January 14, 2009, 20:26:28 »

Ime sorry Dell...getting old....it was Fred Elliott!
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday, January 14, 2009, 20:26:51 »

My first job was at...wait for it...Kwik Save supermarket. Sadly no longer with us, I was paid £2.60 an hour for ten or thirteen hours a week (I think). I started there a week after I turned 16. It was shit, though I did meet some interesting characters there, one guy I actually went on to play in his band, and it was the place I met my first love! can't believe that was 7 years ago now.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday, January 14, 2009, 20:32:42 »

Windsor, The Windsor & Eton Express was the paper, magazines included Loving, Love Affair, CMA News, Ascot Racecourse Programmes, Speedway News. Approximately 200 workers, four apprentices each year - 1 to letterpress, 1 to litho, 1 to typesetting and the other one as a compositor.
Which trade did you take up Dell, I did a five year apprenticeship as a compositor - bit of a waste of time now, but I loved it!
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday, January 14, 2009, 20:35:21 »

Was that in Swindon Reevesy?
dell boy

« Reply #28 on: Wednesday, January 14, 2009, 20:44:05 »

Which trade did you take up Dell, I did a five year apprenticeship as a compositor - bit of a waste of time now, but I loved it!
Started off as a compositor for the first year, then moved to the Monotype casters, Monotype keyboard and finally Photon (filmsetting).
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday, January 14, 2009, 21:00:14 »

Was that in Swindon Reevesy?

No, Melksham.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: