Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 [56] 57   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Is The Recession Affecting You?  (Read 79797 times)
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #825 on: Tuesday, August 9, 2011, 07:55:53 »

You've got the love the BBC. Within minutes of markets opening, they ran a headline on their website saying "European markets buoyant despite sharp falls in Asia". 10 minutes later the markets are down and they've changed it to "European shares continue to fall". It really makes sense to comment when there's been less than an hours trading  Roll Eyes
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #826 on: Tuesday, August 9, 2011, 08:51:22 »

-270pts and counting so far. Going by the past few days, it's only going to get worse after 2pm when the Yanks get going.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #827 on: Tuesday, August 9, 2011, 09:01:44 »

This is a rout.
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #828 on: Tuesday, August 9, 2011, 15:23:41 »

Well that was a bit of a turnaround. -270 to +50.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #829 on: Tuesday, August 9, 2011, 15:27:14 »

It's all because Dave and Boris are back in the country.  Pics of these two looking tough and suited and determined next to burned out buildings in south London has calmed the hysteria.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #830 on: Tuesday, August 9, 2011, 15:32:47 »

Well that was a bit of a turnaround. -270 to +50.

Someone made some serious money today.

Sadly, it wasn't me.
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #831 on: Tuesday, August 9, 2011, 15:48:28 »

Green! Lot's of lovely green!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business/market_data/overview/
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #832 on: Thursday, August 11, 2011, 15:33:54 »

I hope nobody jumped on the Sodastream revival.

-37% in half a day!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business/market_data/shares/4/163734/intraday.stm
nevillew
Tripping the light puntastic

Ignore
« Reply #833 on: Friday, August 12, 2011, 08:27:05 »

I hope nobody jumped on the Sodastream revival.

-37% in half a day!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business/market_data/shares/4/163734/intraday.stm

Not too bizzy with the fizzy.

Paolo Di Canio, it's Paolo Di Canio
Amir

« Reply #834 on: Friday, August 12, 2011, 08:34:29 »

I don't know if any of you invest on AIM, but they take more of a hit than the main markets in times like these.  I could have made a fortune recently if I had any spare cash, or I was willing to trade.
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #835 on: Friday, August 12, 2011, 08:52:49 »

Oh yes, serious gains to be made if you know what you're doing.

If you want to play that game then you're best off sticking your cash in an AIM tracker and let a fund manager worry about it all.
Gethimout

« Reply #836 on: Friday, August 12, 2011, 10:00:13 »

I don't know if any of you invest on AIM, but they take more of a hit than the main markets in times like these.  I could have made a fortune recently if I had any spare cash, or I was willing to trade.

How does all this work? Is it pretty simple to invest?
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #837 on: Friday, August 12, 2011, 10:13:23 »

AIM is just an index, like the FTSE but for smaller companies. You don't invest in AIM, you would buy shares in companies that make up the AIM index. Dealing in shares directly, especially in small cap companies, is not something you want to take lightly if you don't know what you're doing. There is a huge amount of risk.

If you're having to ask how it works, then I wouldn't say it's simple. If you really want to be buying & selling shares then you'll need a stockbroker. If you're not dealing in large amounts then broker fees and commissions can be pretty high.

If you're just looking to speculate on shares and are prepared to risk a bit of money, go open an account with Barclays Stockbrokers or the like and dabble in some 1p shares.
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #838 on: Friday, August 12, 2011, 10:22:05 »

I thought about shares once upon a time since savings rates were so bad, but it all seemed a bit complicated/hard for my stupid head. So i put a chunk of my savings in Funding Circle where i'm currently receiving a yield of 8.4% - bit better than your usual ISA etc.

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
Amir

« Reply #839 on: Friday, August 12, 2011, 13:22:07 »

AIM is just an index, like the FTSE but for smaller companies. You don't invest in AIM, you would buy shares in companies that make up the AIM index. Dealing in shares directly, especially in small cap companies, is not something you want to take lightly if you don't know what you're doing. There is a huge amount of risk.

If you're having to ask how it works, then I wouldn't say it's simple. If you really want to be buying & selling shares then you'll need a stockbroker. If you're not dealing in large amounts then broker fees and commissions can be pretty high.

If you're just looking to speculate on shares and are prepared to risk a bit of money, go open an account with Barclays Stockbrokers or the like and dabble in some 1p shares.

What Sam said.  Alternative Inverstment Market(AIM) shares are more volatile than most, so you can make a huge amount of money if you are properly researched in a company, and more importantly you get your timing right.  

For example my main holding is in BLNX, which went from a high in May of £1.55 to 82p about a week ago because of the general market conditions, and manipulation(something that is extremely rife on AIM).  If I'd have had the money spare I'd have bought more in the low 80's, as although I'm an investor rather than a trader, sometimes it is very tempting to trade around the edges.  It's now trading at around a pound, so that shows what you can make in a week if you know what you are doing and as always to a certain degree, are lucky.
« Last Edit: Friday, August 12, 2011, 13:23:47 by Amir » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 [56] 57   Go Up
Print
Jump to: