Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 57   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Is The Recession Affecting You?  (Read 78957 times)
Sussex

« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, January 6, 2009, 12:05:51 »

You're all heart baldy  Smiley
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, January 6, 2009, 12:07:15 »

Yep. Royally screwed. Officially redundant on New Years Eve. Off to the solicitor at 2.30 to get the statutory compromise agreement checked and signed so I can get the redundancy money. Restructuring my fucking arse!

Bugger all out there in my line of work at the moment too. My head is in a very bad place.

I'm clinging on to the fact that something will turn up. Sob.

That's flipping bad news Sussex.  I just got a text off a friend who's been made redundant and he's taken it pretty badly, he feels very low and useless.  It can affect people pretty badly, will go round to see him later for a chat.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, January 6, 2009, 12:07:22 »

My company is on a knife edge....... Huh?

Clems Army!
Danjackson10

« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, January 6, 2009, 12:09:17 »

im lucky that im employed by the NHS and there is always a need for nurses but it wouldnt suprise me that even i will be affected in the future!
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, January 6, 2009, 12:12:22 »

Sorry to hear that, Sussex.  If it's any consolation, there is always turnover in the job market - even in a recession.  Unemployment numbers will be going up in the coming months, but many of the people out of work in the summer will not be the same people who are out of work now.  Hope you find something else soon.
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, January 6, 2009, 12:13:54 »

Worried.  The Missus works in solicitors who've laid off half the staff (conveyancing and he like).  She's in personal injury which will be ok, but its going to have to prop up the rest of the business.

Im freelance in the live music industry.  People still need entertaining so will still go to gigs and the main 2 companies I work for have the big hitters coming back this year who should make the money (coldplay / take that etc).  But whereas they used to take risks on load of smaller bands, investing in the possibility that they may make it whilst making losses, they are doing this less so consequently there are less shows.

I believe for me that the busy times will still be busy but the quiet times will be really quiet.  Last year I did 24 shows over Jan and Feb (traditionally a quiet time) this year I have 12 on my books at the moment and its looking unlikely that it will improve much.

Never knowingly overstated.
juddie

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, January 6, 2009, 12:25:59 »

sorry to hear that sussex... I've been made redundant before so I feel for you.

At the moment I wouldn't say I'm hugely affected. Like Paul, my mortgage is cheaper (house has also gone down in value, but I'm not moving anywhere soon, so nay bother) so I'm able to save (and spend) a bit more and petrol prices are helping my monthly disposable, but our company has let 50 go and the majority of those were people in my position.

I think I'll be ok because I work on behalf of a client, and as long as Man Utd don't sack us off I'll be fine.

That said, I was looking for a new job last year whereas now I'm finding there's chuff all about, so having to sit tight.
Phil_S

Who changed my Avatar ?!

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday, January 6, 2009, 12:26:49 »

I'm a mortgage broker. First time buyers have almost disapeerred from the market & the ones I am talking too I am telling to hold off as prices decrease.
I still have clients coming to the end of their current deal, but for the last few months the best advice has ussually been to go on to the lenders SVR.
So no new mortgages equals no commisions. I think it will improve mid year, but I won't last that long & am looking for alternatives now.

From the Dark Side
STFC_Gazza

« Reply #23 on: Tuesday, January 6, 2009, 12:27:30 »

I work for a pub company but I am in charge of all food and beer orders so I would like to think I am ok as long as the company as a whole doesn;'t hit the wall.
juddie

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday, January 6, 2009, 12:28:08 »

I'm seriously thinking about learning a trade... they'll never be affected.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday, January 6, 2009, 12:29:13 »

Very worried by it. Layoffs have started at our company, not affected..yet.. but my own personal opinion is the layoffs will continue quarter by quarter.

With an absolute tightening (strangling) of the belt and expected redundancy package I reckon I could survive 8-10 months on my savings. Which I guess isn't too bad but the recession will still be on.

Only consolation is our mortgage isn't as big as it could be, so I could take a much lower paid job and probably survive longer. However finding said job could be another matter.
Sussex

« Reply #26 on: Tuesday, January 6, 2009, 12:34:37 »

I'm seriously thinking about learning a trade... they'll never be affected.

Good call. Should have trained as a plumber!
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday, January 6, 2009, 12:35:09 »

the only way its affecting me is that its preventing me finding a new job
jonbd

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday, January 6, 2009, 12:37:49 »

Me and my boss are both being made redundant (despite bumper profits this year) and having to re-apply for one available job, so pretty gutted about that! Most people I know are pretty worried about their jobs at the mo as well, bad times!
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday, January 6, 2009, 12:42:16 »

Given that I've basically been a bum for the last 4 years since uni it's not affected me really, not in a negative way at least...

I'm temping at the Institute of Chartered Accountants where I've been on and off for the last 4 years in between heading off to the Alps.  I'm not back out there this season and one of the main reasons is that the department I'm working in is actually expanding and I've been told they want me to apply for positions that will be created soon.

I was worried that if I sod of for another season and come home in May that things would be worse and I'd not find work so have decided that now is the time to finally settle down and make some money.  So I suppose it has affected my life but in a different manner to most.

Deepest sympathies to those who have been adversely affected by all this, I know people who have lost their jobs already and while I was made redundant due to a takeover in 2000 I can't imagine what it must feel like at the moment.

Good luck to all, especially Sussex.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 57   Go Up
Print
Jump to: