Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 ... 339   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 'Who's snuffed it now?'  (Read 1353572 times)
Flashheart

« Reply #405 on: Friday, March 21, 2014, 09:46:40 »

Also, I know no one has articulated this here, but I hate the idea that you shouldn't speak ill of the dead, as if death absolves you of all blame for the actions of your life.

I think that may be a throwback from times where people were more religious/superstitious but I agree, why should death mean we can say no bad about a person? They're dead, what difference does it make what we say?

Of course there is feelings of the deceased's family to take into consideration, but not in this instance.
Talk Talk

« Reply #406 on: Friday, March 21, 2014, 10:01:20 »

I think this clip says it all really.

4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #407 on: Friday, March 21, 2014, 10:32:44 »

There is a touch of hypocrisy creeping into this thread.
Flashheart

« Reply #408 on: Friday, March 21, 2014, 10:38:51 »

There is a touch of hypocrisy creeping into this thread.

How so?
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #409 on: Friday, March 21, 2014, 10:46:52 »

Wasn't the original grumble about disrespecting the dead?
Flashheart

« Reply #410 on: Friday, March 21, 2014, 10:55:40 »

Wasn't the original grumble about disrespecting the dead?

You've completely missed the point.

Do you think picketing the funeral of a soldier and saying good riddance to Fred Phelps are comparable?
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #411 on: Friday, March 21, 2014, 10:58:43 »

Sorry Jan, but that is nonsense.

Phelps was nothing but pure evil who hurt other people that had never done a thing wrong to him. Picketing the funerals of dead soldiers and telling the parents it's their fault, it's difficult to think of much worse.

The world is better off without people like him. I don't mean to say that as a sound-byte people often say when somebody dies: I mean the world is literally better off without the likes of him in it and I am, literally, pleased that he is no longer on this planet because the alternative is that he is still on the planet spreading his hatred.

It's just unfortunate that he has left behind a legacy.

And very good on Russell Brand but why is he attending the funeral at all?

That's not the point being made.  Yes he was an evil hate-filled man and I'd agree that the world is better off without him, but tweeting his family to taunt them over his death is showing the same mindless hatred that characterised his sad little life.  Do that and we end up in a lynch-mob world where we decide that we are entitled to treat people as badly as they try to treat us.  Effectively that it's ok to torture a torturer.  By replicating their actions (in the name of moral outrage, common decency etc etc) you legitimise their actions.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #412 on: Friday, March 21, 2014, 11:02:02 »

I saw the Louis Theroux program and it did anger me.
Flashheart

« Reply #413 on: Friday, March 21, 2014, 11:02:02 »

That's not the point being made.  Yes he was an evil hate-filled man and I'd agree that the world is better off without him, but tweeting his family to taunt them over his death is showing the same mindless hatred that characterised his sad little life.  Do that and we end up in a lynch-mob world where we decide that we are entitled to treat people as badly as they try to treat us.  Effectively that it's ok to torture a torturer.  By replicating their actions (in the name of moral outrage, common decency etc etc) you legitimise their actions.

The fallen soldiers and their families are, as far as we know, innocent.

Fred Phelps' son is not. Fuck him.

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #414 on: Friday, March 21, 2014, 11:13:34 »

Eeeuurrgggghhh, no thanks. Each to their own and all that ....
Flashheart

« Reply #415 on: Friday, March 21, 2014, 11:13:50 »

Anyway... the Westboro Baptist Church preach that every single thing, including death, is an act of god and should therefore be rejoiced.

I wonder if they are rejoicing now.
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #416 on: Friday, March 21, 2014, 13:11:20 »

Apparently Pastor fred was excomunicated by his church........
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #417 on: Friday, March 21, 2014, 14:40:22 »

Yes he was an evil hate-filled man and I'd agree that the world is better off without him, but tweeting his family to taunt them over his death is showing the same mindless hatred that characterised his sad little life.  

Isn't that the entire point, for want of a better expression giving a taste of his own medicine. Fuck 'rising above it'.

I've not actually checked the son was involved, but equally I've not tweeted him. yet.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #418 on: Friday, March 21, 2014, 20:49:40 »

That's not the point being made.  Yes he was an evil hate-filled man and I'd agree that the world is better off without him, but tweeting his family to taunt them over his death is showing the same mindless hatred that characterised his sad little life.  Do that and we end up in a lynch-mob world where we decide that we are entitled to treat people as badly as they try to treat us.  Effectively that it's ok to torture a torturer.  By replicating their actions (in the name of moral outrage, common decency etc etc) you legitimise their actions.

Agreed, not for one minute am I backing up a single thing the stupid prick said during his life. But, personally, I couldn't bring myself to take the piss out of someone who's just lost their dad. You can't choose your relatives and this fuckers son had no chance in life.

I don't mind speaking ill of the dead, just find a time of passing not the time to lower yourself to the 'standards' not set by others. I prefer some dignity.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #419 on: Friday, March 21, 2014, 20:51:44 »

The fallen soldiers and their families are, as far as we know, innocent.

Come off it, Fred Phelps' son didn't stand any chance of turning out in any other way. Imagine having a father like that. I'm no airy fairy liberal, but that lad had a zero percent chance of being 'normal'. Brainwashed from an early age, I actually pity the lad. No shit.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 ... 339   Go Up
Print
Jump to: