Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: John Batchelor  (Read 3182 times)
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Monday, December 8, 2008, 17:58:09 »

Back in March he was trying the same thing with Mansfield:

http://www.chad.co.uk/stags/AUDIO-John-Batchelor-talks-about.3926462.jp

The key part of his master plan seems to be changing the name of whoever he buys, to Harchester United Huh?
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #16 on: Monday, December 8, 2008, 18:02:00 »

Maybe he thinks every game will actually be on sky1
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Monday, December 8, 2008, 18:11:10 »

The key part of his master plan seems to be changing the name of whoever he buys, to Harchester United Huh?

Which, of course, explains why he's interested in Chester City because they already have the 'chester' bit as part of their name.  If he doesn't pull it off there, Man U, Man City and Colchester should all start worrying.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Monday, December 8, 2008, 18:12:32 »

This bloke is a fantastic example of why the League's Fit and Proper Persons test is so inadequate. As if we needed another one
STFC_Gazza

« Reply #19 on: Monday, December 8, 2008, 18:53:51 »

What a cunt. Glad he didnt get near us.
oxford_fan

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Monday, December 8, 2008, 19:12:08 »

This bloke is a fantastic example of why the League's Fit and Proper Persons test is so inadequate. As if we needed another one

indeed. people like this shouldn't be able to come close to owning an existing football club.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #21 on: Monday, December 8, 2008, 20:11:59 »

There should definitly be a question in there:

Have you ever, or do you ever intend to change the name of a football club to that of a rubbish television programme?
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Monday, December 8, 2008, 21:01:26 »

Chester's owner has quite rightly told him to go forth and multiply..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/chester/7767853.stm

pumbaa
Ha, no cunt in my title anymore. Oh.....

Fartmeister

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Monday, December 8, 2008, 21:09:04 »

Could we tell this chap about Oxford?
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Monday, December 8, 2008, 21:10:14 »

Which, of course, explains why he's interested in Chester City because they already have the 'chester' bit as part of their name.  If he doesn't pull it off there, Man U, Man City and Colchester should all start worrying.

In a QI kinda moment, if a place name contains the word "chester" "cester" or "caster" in the name it means that it was once the site of a roman army camp as it's derived from the word "castra" which is latin for camp.  I'm not sure if Bicester actually had two roman settlements there, but I wouldn't be surprised.
lambourn red

« Reply #25 on: Monday, December 8, 2008, 21:19:09 »

The bloke sounds like a complete lunatic shame it is not Oxford he is looking at.
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #26 on: Monday, December 8, 2008, 21:23:01 »

Wouldn't even wish this tosser on them
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Monday, December 8, 2008, 21:25:38 »

I'm not sure if Bicester actually had two roman settlements there, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Think they had an open minded approach to sexuality.
Hexagon

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Monday, December 8, 2008, 21:41:11 »

In a QI kinda moment, if a place name contains the word "chester" "cester" or "caster" in the name it means that it was once the site of a roman army camp as it's derived from the word "castra" which is latin for camp.  I'm not sure if Bicester actually had two roman settlements there, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Bicester had at least one Roman settlement that i know off.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Monday, December 8, 2008, 23:03:30 »

But of course the cester/chester/caster are merely indication of the once Roman occupation, a more recent naming convention and not  the Roman name for the place itself. e.g. Cirencester was  Corinium, Chester was Deva (hence the Deva Stadium), and Gloucester was   Glevum Colonia.

One thing I didn't know that I foun while googling the roman names was that Swindon had a Roman Settlement (?) and was known as Durocornovium, according to here anyway:

http://www.pubquizhelp.com/hist/romaname.html

(edit: oh it's Wanborough, that makes sense)

Oh, and soapy tit wank @ Hexagan
« Last Edit: Monday, December 8, 2008, 23:07:30 by Batch » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: